Casey should win COY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey should win COY

Not only has he got the team to buy into the defensive approach but he is also getting results. It's amazing how with generally the same roster he was able to transform the entire culture of the team in such a short period time.

The Raptor's are actually ranked #1 in the NBA in OPP. FG%, allowing teams to only shoot 39.8%. More shockingly we are #2 in the NBA in opp. points in the paint... we were 30th last year.

Here's a picture just showing the difference from our defense last year to this year up until now.
    http://twitpic.com/839nxx

See where they are after 40 games before the COY talk starts.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      See where they are after 40 games before the COY talk starts.
      i concur

Comment

No more Casey COY discussions? Shocking!!!

Comment

ryanc123 wrote: View Post
          Not only has he got the team to buy into the defensive approach but he is also getting results. It's amazing how with generally the same roster he was able to transform the entire culture of the team in such a short period time.

The Raptor's are actually ranked #1 in the NBA in OPP. FG%, allowing teams to only shoot 39.8%. More shockingly we are #2 in the NBA in opp. points in the paint... we were 30th last year.

Here's a picture just showing the difference from our defense last year to this year up until now.
          http://twitpic.com/839nxx
          I think he is a stellar coach but no way in hell should he win it if his team has a win % below .250

RE: those numbers way fewer shot attempts by opposition because they have slowed the game down.
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
            I think he is a stellar coach but no way in hell should he win it if his team has a win % below .250

RE: those numbers way fewer shot attempts by opposition because they have slowed the game down.
            No way does Casey deserve coach of the year consideration, I agree.

The team's defensive rating and opponent's field goal percentage are both very much improved. The % is huge and I don't think the majority of fans recognize this. The opponents shooting fewer shots have nothing to do with these two stats.

Comment

Doug Collins (PHI), Frank Vogel (IND), Ty Corbin (UTA) & George Karl (DEN) would all finish ahead of Casey if COY was voted today. End of discussion.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Doug Collins (PHI), Frank Vogel (IND), Ty Corbin (UTA) & George Karl (DEN) would all finish ahead of Casey if COY was voted today. End of discussion.
                I would also put Van Gundy on that list. He's done a nice job in Orlando with the Howard distraction. He's got Turkoglu playing good ball again and guys like Reddick and Anderson are thriving. You have to think Brooks in OKC deserves some votes as well.

Comment

Coach Of the Year Candidates

Just to pass some of my time:

Over the last ten years the COY award has almost always gone to teams with significant improvement in the Win-column.

8 of the ten were coaches of teams that had at least 18 wins more than the year before. All those teams had a winning record and made the play-offs.

The two other coaches were coaching 60-win teams who improved only 2 games. But the only reason those coaches got the award seems the lack of a team with an improvement close to those of the coaches in the other 8 years. When Avery Johnson won the award The Lakers were the team that improved the most, but only by 11 wins. In the year Popovich won, Golden State and Houston improved by 17 and 15 respectively, but neither made the play-offs.

Year Improvement Coach Team Record
                  2010-11 21 Tom Thibodeau Chicago 62-20
                  2009-10 27 Scott Brooks Oklahoma City 50-32
                  2008-09 21 Mike Brown Cleveland 66-16
                  2007-08 18 Byron Scott New Orleans 56-26
                  2006-07 20 Sam Mitchell Toronto 47-35
                  2005-06 2 Avery Johnson Dallas 60-22
                  2004-05 33 Mike D'Antoni Phoenix 62-20
                  2003-04 22 Hubie Brown Memphis 50-32
                  2002-03 2 Gregg Popovich San Antonio 60-22
                  2001-02 18 Rick Carlisle Detroit 50-32

If this trend continues, and it probably will, the frontrunner for this years coach of the year will come from one of the teams with the biggest improvement, and only if they start struggling and there won't be a team with a significant improvement that makes the play-offs, will Stan Van Gundy get a chance. Interesting will be what is going to happen in case Oklahoma continues its pace and wins 68 or some games (or if Miami gets there).

2011-2012 Coach Of the Year candidates

Coach Team 2010-2011 2011-2012 pace (82 games) Improvement pace (82 games)
                  Frank Vogel Indiana 37-45 58-24 21
                  Vinny Del Negro L.A. Clippers 32-50 51-31 19
                  Doug Collins Philadelphia 41-41 55-27 14
                  Scott Brooks Oklahoma 55-27 68-14 13
                  Tyrone Corbin Utah 39-43 51-31 12
                  Larry Drew Atlanta 44-38 56-26 12
                  George Karl Denver 50-32 59-23 9
                  There are two coaches who would also in this list if it weren't for their team having a losing record. Adelman and Minnesota are on pace to inprove by 19, but a 36-46 record, and Byron Scott and Cleveland are on pace to improve by 15 with a 34-48 record.

Comment

Working...
                  X