No announcement yet.

Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think of all the names mentioned Felton makes the most sense. He's only 27 (28 next year). He's a pass first PG, which is what I like - and he has a calmness about him that I like. The only issue I can see is that he'd probably demand somewhere around $10M a year, and I'm sure would want multiple years at least 4 years. He's not an all-star, but plays a position that would be in high demand, especially from a lot of veteran teams. This is Jose money, so could be a really big risk going forward.

I can see Portland trying to resign him first as they don't really have a guy that can step in for him. But you would also have teams like Dallas (if they don't get DWill), LAL, NJ (if DWill leaves), Miami, NY, Orlando, NO, Phoenix (if Nash leaves).. and some of those cities may make more sense for him, especially from a guy who grew up on the west coast.

But if Toronto can land him, I think it would be a great move.

If Felton does not happen, then I'm okay with Jose for another season.. I don't think we'll get Kabongo/Marshall though. I think a PG is a very attractive position for a lot of teams, and Kabongo and/or Marshall may be near the top on a lot of team's lists. In that case, we may have to wait until 2013 for our PG.

Comment

Bleghh...

All these players are so average. Felton? Kabongo (I made the same mistake being a Bayless fan from phx)?

If average is what we want then leave Calderon there.

I want a star player, therefore I go Westbrook regardless of his glaring weaknessess.

If it's going to take a Hail Mary to get someone to Toronto, then it probably means they're worth it (Hedo aside).

Comment

I am still high on the Westbrook theory. I honestly doubt that he and Durant can co-exist, since Westbrook is a natural leader and wants to run the squad. I say simply S&T for Westbrook and OKC gets Calderon and the pick this year. That way we have a defined leader, a top prospect, AB and DD. Then we go out and find a 3 on the market somewhere. Now we have a very talented starting five and a pretty deep bench. The only issue I see is Westbrook's personality and body language sort of gives away the fact that he's a headache to be around. We'll see I guess..

Comment

Westbrook is a max caliber, restricted free agent. OKC would match the offer, then trade him if he was dead set on leaving. With the lowly Nets embarrassing on us on our home floor recently, why will Deron suddenly give up on his dream to play with Dwight Howard to come here?

Felton is a realistic target if we make the offer rich enough. I hope BC explores the possibility of adding Kabongo. Other teams are going to want him though. If Bargnani turns the corner this season, would you trade Ed Davis for Kabongo?

Comment

Why would D.Will come here? Raptors are no better than NJ at the moment.
            The likes of D.Will and Westbrook will not sign for us till we can compete for playoffs.

Kabongo will be a good pick IMO.
            Last edited by draftedraptor; Sun Jan 8, 2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
              Why would D.Will come here? Raptors are no better than NJ at the moment.
              The likes of D.Will and Westbrook will not sign for us till we can compete for playoffs.

Kabongo will be a good pick IMO.
              True.

However, I have a feeling nobody can stroke an ego like Colangelo and the selling point would be that ( insert PG here ) will push us over the top along with the developing, young assets.

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
                Westbrook is a max caliber, restricted free agent. OKC would match the offer, then trade him if he was dead set on leaving. With the lowly Nets embarrassing on us on our home floor recently, why will Deron suddenly give up on his dream to play with Dwight Howard to come here?

Felton is a realistic target if we make the offer rich enough. I hope BC explores the possibility of adding Kabongo. Other teams are going to want him though. If Bargnani turns the corner this season, would you trade Ed Davis for Kabongo?
                Yes.

Comment

Ok, what about a more realistic option? Goran Dragic, I've always liked him and when he gets the min he has always produced. He can score, pass and has a high basketball IQ. I haven't watched enough to comment on his defence. He is 25 years old (turning 26 next year). He's making 2.11M this year and he'll be a free agent next year. We could probably sigh him as a FA next year without breaking the bank.

Goran Dragic 20 PT 7-10 FG 4-4 FT 2-3 3P 4/1 RB 8 AS 0 BL 1 ST 2 TO 3 PF 37 MN (1/7, Thunder)

Goran Dragic 10.0 PT .400 of 10.0 FG .500 of 2.0 FT .250 of 4.0 3P 3.0/0.0 RB 11.0 AS 0.0 BL 2.0 ST 0.0 TO 0.0 PF 36.6 MN (vs thunder on the 6th (home and home))

He was pretty good with the Suns as well in limited min.
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jan 8, 2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Point Guard
                    (name, team – 2012-13 salary – status)

Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors – $4.0 million – Restricted ($5.3 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Darren Collison, Indiana Pacers – $2.3 million – Restricted ($3.3 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.6 million)
                    Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.3 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Devin Harris, Utah Jazz – $8.5 million – Unrestricted
                    Jose Calderon, Toronto Raptors – $10.6 million – Unrestricted
                    Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks – $2.4 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Roddy Beaubois, Dallas Mavericks – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.3 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Jarrett Jack, New Orleans Hornets – $5.4 million – Unrestricted
                    Eric Maynor, Oklahoma City Thunder – $2.3 million – Restricted ($3.4 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Will Bynum, Detroit Pistons – $3.3 million – Unrestricted
                    Daniel Gibson, Cleveland Cavaliers – $4.8 million – Unrestricted
                    C.J. Watson, Chicago Bulls – $3.2 million – Unrestricted
                    Shaun Livingston, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.5 million – Unrestricted

Source: HoopsWorld.com

I took out the players with rookie contracts or team options likely to be picked up (John Wall, Kyle Lowry for example).

2013 is a nice crop of free agents at PG, including our very own Jose.

As for 2012, I would like to trade Jose for some assets, like LA's 2 first round picks (I can't get him going to the Lakers out of my mind. I think he would be a really good fit there). Jose for Blake or Fisher works in the RealGM trade checker (ESPN is down to update new CBA).

Sign Nash in the off season and draft Kabongo to learn behind him. Given PHX's training staff rep and Nash's commitment to training, I think having McKechnie could actually help lure him besides the Canada/Colangelo ties.

Comment

Another draft option outside of Kabongo/Marshall could be Damian Lillard. He's slotted for 24th in DraftExpress, and 34th (2nd round, 4th pick) in NBADraft.net.

I'm not sure on his play making skills, but is apparently good in pick and rolls, and has a very good shot. He is a top scorer but doesn't really play for a reputable school. He could end up being this year's Kemba.

I'm personally not sold on him, but he'd be an option for our 2nd rounder if we can't get Kabongo.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I took out the players with rookie contracts or team options likely to be picked up (John Wall, Kyle Lowry for example).

As for 2012, I would like to trade Jose for some assets, like LA's 2 first round picks (I can't get him going to the Lakers out of my mind. I think he would be a really good fit there). Jose for Blake or Fisher works in the RealGM trade checker (ESPN is down to update new CBA).

Sign Nash in the off season and draft Kabongo to learn behind him. Given PHX's training staff rep and Nash's commitment to training, I think having McKechnie could actually help lure him besides the Canada/Colangelo ties.
                        The only names I like in that list are Curry and Lawson. Both are restricted, and I can see Curry getting close to a max deal from GSW. They wouldn't trade Paul or Rondo for him, so GSW thinks he's pretty special. Lawson may be as difficult to acquire as Denver is using Andre Miller as a backup. I believe he's going to be 36 next year.

So waiting for 2013 for free agency may be a bad idea. I like the idea of Nash/Kabongo, but getting Nash out of Phoenix can be a difficult task. He loves it there, and is a true sport. He'd only leave if Phoenix told him to go. If Phoenix offers him a contract, Nash will probably accept, even if the idea of playing for his home country and Colangelo were possibilities.

Kabongo is still a long shot, and may not declare until 2013. If we do draft Kabongo, then I'd try and do whatever I could to convince both Phoenix to let go of Nash, and for Nash to come play for Toronto for 2 years. I'd even resign Barbosa if that helps convince Nash to come home.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I would be completely ok with Nash-Kabongo, especially since Kabongo appears to be a true point. The biggest problem here is probably Nash's choice. If he is going to leave PHX, we'd clearly always get some mild consideration due to Canada and Colangelo, but he may not want to quit on winning, which he could maybe do in a place like Miami.

To respond to random stuff about D-Will, I don't think he will come here, but I can dream of it if people are also dreaming of Westbrook. I'm not sure where Williams will end up, but I don't know why he'd stay in Jersey, and I'm not sure who'll be able to make a real play for him in terms of both money and opportunity to win. I think that's why a lot of people see Felton as an alternative....i don't know. It's getting easier and easier to instead think of drafting a young PG, or maybe trying to get someone young this year to get a look at in the meantime. I'd love to see what the Clippers want for Eric Bledsoe.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The only names I like in that list are Curry and Lawson. Both are restricted, and I can see Curry getting close to a max deal from GSW. They wouldn't trade Paul or Rondo for him, so GSW thinks he's pretty special. Lawson may be as difficult to acquire as Denver is using Andre Miller as a backup. I believe he's going to be 36 next year.

So waiting for 2013 for free agency may be a bad idea. I like the idea of Nash/Kabongo, but getting Nash out of Phoenix can be a difficult task. He loves it there, and is a true sport. He'd only leave if Phoenix told him to go. If Phoenix offers him a contract, Nash will probably accept, even if the idea of playing for his home country and Colangelo were possibilities.

Kabongo is still a long shot, and may not declare until 2013. If we do draft Kabongo, then I'd try and do whatever I could to convince both Phoenix to let go of Nash, and for Nash to come play for Toronto for 2 years. I'd even resign Barbosa if that helps convince Nash to come home.
                            You don't think Jennings will be a good aquisition?

As for getting Nash here as Kabongo's mentor - the fans want it and BC knows Nash has two good years left in him. He would not leave the Suns for anything less than a genuine playoff team (without Barbosa in its roster :P).

Calderon's contract is pretty bad and he is old for most teams to want him. Maybe someone with lots of cap space could be convinced (if he has a career year) but don't expect much in return. I would get rid of him for any reasonable offer.

Goran Dragic is not much of an improvement from Bayless as our number 2/3 if we can get someone like DWill. They have similar stats playing limited minutes last 3 years. The clear positives as I see them - Bayless is younger and athletic. Goran is slightly better in everything, Euro and definitely not a headcase.

BC can perhaps 'stroke a ego' (read : hand out ridiculous contracts) but to get a franchise player like D.Will he must show them the team can move forward. NJ has the cap space, amnesty clauses and expiring contracts but he is still unsettled as he is not sure the team can bring in big players why would he feel any different about the raptors.

Comment

Felton/Hill/Maynor with a young project as understudy
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Kabongo.

Kidd-Gilchrist is the obvious draft pick if the Raps own pick is bad enough (please, Lord, please) but trading some assets to get a shot at Wroten Jr. or Kabongo as well is the way to go imo. Natural trade assets comprise LB/JB & (the resurgent) JC and I'm not on the AB bandwagon yet so there is no question in my mind the assets are available.

Sending JV, AJ, MKG and one of Wroten/Kabongo out on the floor to start the 2012/13 year would give me cause to hope for greatness.

DD could be core as well but right, on small sample size, he's trade bait to upgrade that spot during the 2012/13 year; ED could be part of that discussion as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X