Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RR Forum iPhone/iPad Mobile-Page or App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR Forum iPhone/iPad Mobile-Page or App?

I'm not really sure what exactly would be required to put something like this together, but I know that the Main Page for RR has a nice Mobile Version of the page when I log in from my Phone, but as soon as I go over to the Forums, it goes back to the regular Webpage layout.

Which is fine and absolutely works, but I know that surfing the Forums is a bit tough while on the iPhone, and I also know there are more than a few guys who use their iPhones to log in.
    Thoughts?

Arse will have to address this one joey.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I'm not really sure what exactly would be required to put something like this together, but I know that the Main Page for RR has a nice Mobile Version of the page when I log in from my Phone, but as soon as I go over to the Forums, it goes back to the regular Webpage layout.

Which is fine and absolutely works, but I know that surfing the Forums is a bit tough while on the iPhone, and I also know there are more than a few guys who use their iPhones to log in.
      Thoughts?
      same goes for android.. a mobile view of the forums would be awesome... right now its alot of zooming in and side scrolling annoyances.. plus, trying to scroll within the posting text box if you have a long post going was extremely annoying when i was still using an iphone... not so bad on android though

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        same goes for android.. a mobile view of the forums would be awesome... right now its alot of zooming in and side scrolling annoyances.. plus, trying to scroll within the posting text box if you have a long post going was extremely annoying when i was still using an iphone... not so bad on android though
        I know it would something we'd certainly entertain, but its a matter of finding someone with the time to develop it. Not to mention the cost. And seeing how we don't financially profit from this site, unless we find someone who wants to create an forum app ala pro bono, it likely won't happen.

Keep in mind, this is a non-techy person saying this. Arse might have a different opinion on the matter.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          Yes. Meant to include Android as well.
          Didn't mean to leave out the inferior OS. Apologies.
          Bahahah (Totally a joke. I love Android.)

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          I know it would something we'd certainly entertain, but its a matter of finding someone with the time to develop it. Not to mention the cost. And seeing how we don't financially profit from this site, unless we find someone who wants to create an forum app ala pro bono, it likely won't happen.
          Absolutely understand. Just thought next time you guys look to do another Makeover, it might be something to consider.
          Would likely open up accesibility and make it more usable for alot of people. ie People at Work hahah

If I knew how to do that stuff, I'd be all over it ... haha

Comment

For those who have an Iphone (maybe you can get it with Android phones too I'm not sure) there is an app called TouchBB Lite (free) that apparently makes it much easier to browse vBulletin forums. Haven't checked it out myself, though I will shortly.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
              For those who have an Iphone (maybe you can get it with Android phones too I'm not sure) there is an app called TouchBB Lite (free) that apparently makes it much easier to browse vBulletin forums. Haven't checked it out myself, though I will shortly.
              Cheers 40 ... going to check that out now.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                Interesting. Downloading it now. Will let everyone know.

ADD From TouchBB Lite:
                To make TouchBB work with your own Forum, a single file must be uploaded into your forum directory. There are no other modifications required. if you are not the forum owner, all you have to do is send the forum admin/ owner the following informational link: http://www.messageforums.net/iphoneforumreader.php
                Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

haven't tried it yet. but, me likey already.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    haven't tried it yet. but, me likey already.
                    Looks like it could be really good, but judging from some of the reviews given to it, its not the be-all and end-all of Mobile-Forum Usability.

And I think Arse (or whomever) would have to upload the script file and such into the Forum Directory.

Comment

Aaaarrgghhhh

I don't know what happened, but it doesn't work very good for me (Android). Posting seems to go smoother, but the thread view is horrible and I can't directly go to the latest unread post in a thread, which is pretty annoying.

Comment

And I think Arse (or whomever) would have to upload the script file and such into the Forum Directory.
                        Yup, if feasible that would be the site guru Arse that would implement it. As I've said before, if I try doing anything we stand losing the site overall for I'd likely delete this place by mistake.

Comment

Didn't mean to leave out the inferior OS.
                          oh we gon' fight, son.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            I don't know what happened, but it doesn't work very good for me (Android). Posting seems to go smoother, but the thread view is horrible and I can't directly go to the latest unread post in a thread, which is pretty annoying.
                            That was only for a few hours. Some testing I assume.(?)

Comment

I tried doing this, and got it working for iPhone and Android, but for whatever reason Blackberry browsers didn't work so I had to back it out. Will make another attempt soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X