View Poll Results: Who do YOU sign at PG for 2012 starter?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jose Calderon (who needs it we have our guy)

16 26.67%
  • Jerryd Bayless (he is misunderstood and a star PG to be)

0 0%
  • Raymond Felton

4 6.67%
  • Andre Miller

0 0%
  • Russell Westbrook (he wants to be da man)

8 13.33%
  • Myck Kabongo (draft the T. promotion hero)

17 28.33%
  • Kendall Marshall (who cares if he can't shoot he passes)

5 8.33%
  • Other (the world is full of star PGs)

7 11.67%
  • Trade for SCurry/KLowry

3 5.00%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Ok so we have much debated the wonders of Bayless and Calderon on here, and the drafting of Kabongo etc, but now I am wondering who the de facto favourite is as the STARTING PG for next year is from the Republic.

I am adding in a trade choice for the likes of Steph Curry and Kyle Lowry, but overall I am assuming they are truly untouchables right now, at least for what we would want to give up in return. We have about $20M in FA money for next year on current projections, and with a solid, or at least set frontcourt, and likely set at the 2, we need punch from the PG and SF positions, likely one coming from the draft and the other FA/trade.

So who do ya like for the group next year with the current guaranteed or team option contracts:

PG: JCalderon
    SG: DDerozan
    SF: JJohnson, LKleiza
    PF: ABargnani, EDavis, AJohnson
    C: JValencunas, SAlabi
    Notes: I believe Forbes (SF) has multiple years on his deal, but not certain, and hold rights to Sonny Weems (SG) and RFA rights currently to JBayless (PG - debateable of course)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting should be Calderon next year still.... but we should draft Kabongo for a future changeover. I'm against free agents (PG) signing..

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Felton signer, with a hope to pick up another pick and draft Kabongo or Marshall to understudy Felton/Calderon.

Of course if we cannot get a MKG, Miller or Barnes out of the draft, I am also for a draft of Kabongo/Marshall, using money to chase a SF FA like Wilson Chandler etc. and bypass a Felton using Calderon on a longer cheaper contract, but first choice is Felton and draft.

Post Thanks / Like

NOTE: I apologize to Teague lovers, but I don't see a difference from Bayless and JB is already a pseudo known commodity with a stated love of the city/team.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends. Jose has played so well that he has boosted his trade value. If there is a good offer then move him and try for Felton with a Kabongo or Marshall scenario as understudy. I want to see Barnes at the 3, I think he is the perfect fit, but we need a lot of luck for the ping pong balls to go our way.
    Ball Don't Lie

Post Thanks / Like

agreed. Not too mention his bro will be available in the draft if we are really wanting a Teague! He isn't great either
    Ball Don't Lie

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should find a 2nd first rounder to get Kabongo or find a way to get Lowry (if we can get him without destroying the team).

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's pretty unlikely, but so is Westbrook, so I'm just going to say it: why no love for D-Will? As it stands now, no one expects him to stay in NJ because they look like they're at least 2-3 seasons from respectability, nevermind contending.

In a more serious way, I'd take Felton because he's more likely to come at a reasonable price, is a good distributor, and good teammate. None of the guys I've mentioned are really defensive stoppers, with Westbrook probably being the best at containing 1-on-1. Westbrook is also the one who still needs the most maturing, although with the highest ceiling maybe, although D-Will will be judged by how much he wins in the long run because everyone knows his ability is top tier. I also would question Westbrook's character for leaving a situation where he could win multiple titles. And not even necessarily for money, just to be "the man". What if we get a great draft pick this year who is a franchise calibre player? Will Westbrook then clash with him? Bad bad character trait if the rumors become true. I'll pass on that, and go back to other prizes like Williams, Felton, making a trade or drafting someone.

Random thoughts: I'm a Kabongo fan and curious to see how he looks come draft time. Not a Marshall fan, he really can't shoot and it really can be a problem in the NBA. It's not like he's scoring in other ways too, so that's a bad sign. I'm not big on trading for Curry right now, but only because of his ankle problems, so I might be more open to it if it doesn't seem lingering. If we can't upgrade, keep Jose until we can.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Random thoughts: I'm a Kabongo fan and curious to see how he looks come draft time. Not a Marshall fan, he really can't shoot and it really can be a problem in the NBA. It's not like he's scoring in other ways too, so that's a bad sign. I'm not big on trading for Curry right now, but only because of his ankle problems, so I might be more open to it if it doesn't seem lingering. If we can't upgrade, keep Jose until we can.
    Marshall is kinda like Jason Kidd, he wasn't known for hit jumper coming in but hes a great distributer. You gotta go with this guy, cause just by him not getting respect from the league from his jumper, he will learn to stick open jumpers and thus become an all around player..eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry intended on including DWilliams when setting up and totally forgot adding him into the poll. Maybe that's a sign.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I said Calderon. Westbrook and Felton are going to re-sign with their respective teams. Steve Nash, Kirk Hinrich and Goran Dragic are 3 guys I'd like to see in, but this is not the point.

Post Thanks / Like

Nash, Steve

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kabongo is over savoir at PG draft him.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Marshall is kinda like Jason Kidd, he wasn't known for hit jumper coming in but hes a great distributer. You gotta go with this guy, cause just by him not getting respect from the league from his jumper, he will learn to stick open jumpers and thus become an all around player..eventually.
    I don't know, Jason Kidd could do a lot of other things well, and also has beastly size (and knows how to use it). I'm not saying Marshall won't be good in the NBA because if any of us could definitively say that kind of thing we'd have jobs in basketball, but I do worry that his weaknesses are too numerous and crucial to the NBA game. It's not like he is just a bad shooter, he's a bad scorer all around, a weak defender and doesn't bring the all around game a Jason Kidd does, or even a Rajon Rondo to go with another poor shooter.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Jason Kidd was also a number 2 overall draft pick. While I get your point I think, overall, Marshall and Kidd are in totally different classes.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think of all the names mentioned Felton makes the most sense. He's only 27 (28 next year). He's a pass first PG, which is what I like - and he has a calmness about him that I like. The only issue I can see is that he'd probably demand somewhere around $10M a year, and I'm sure would want multiple years at least 4 years. He's not an all-star, but plays a position that would be in high demand, especially from a lot of veteran teams. This is Jose money, so could be a really big risk going forward.

I can see Portland trying to resign him first as they don't really have a guy that can step in for him. But you would also have teams like Dallas (if they don't get DWill), LAL, NJ (if DWill leaves), Miami, NY, Orlando, NO, Phoenix (if Nash leaves).. and some of those cities may make more sense for him, especially from a guy who grew up on the west coast.

But if Toronto can land him, I think it would be a great move.

If Felton does not happen, then I'm okay with Jose for another season.. I don't think we'll get Kabongo/Marshall though. I think a PG is a very attractive position for a lot of teams, and Kabongo and/or Marshall may be near the top on a lot of team's lists. In that case, we may have to wait until 2013 for our PG.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleghh...

All these players are so average. Felton? Kabongo (I made the same mistake being a Bayless fan from phx)?

If average is what we want then leave Calderon there.

I want a star player, therefore I go Westbrook regardless of his glaring weaknessess.

If it's going to take a Hail Mary to get someone to Toronto, then it probably means they're worth it (Hedo aside).

Raptors Republic Rookie your mom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still high on the Westbrook theory. I honestly doubt that he and Durant can co-exist, since Westbrook is a natural leader and wants to run the squad. I say simply S&T for Westbrook and OKC gets Calderon and the pick this year. That way we have a defined leader, a top prospect, AB and DD. Then we go out and find a 3 on the market somewhere. Now we have a very talented starting five and a pretty deep bench. The only issue I see is Westbrook's personality and body language sort of gives away the fact that he's a headache to be around. We'll see I guess..

Raptors Republic Rookie big_chris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Westbrook is a max caliber, restricted free agent. OKC would match the offer, then trade him if he was dead set on leaving. With the lowly Nets embarrassing on us on our home floor recently, why will Deron suddenly give up on his dream to play with Dwight Howard to come here?

Felton is a realistic target if we make the offer rich enough. I hope BC explores the possibility of adding Kabongo. Other teams are going to want him though. If Bargnani turns the corner this season, would you trade Ed Davis for Kabongo?

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would D.Will come here? Raptors are no better than NJ at the moment.
    The likes of D.Will and Westbrook will not sign for us till we can compete for playoffs.

Kabongo will be a good pick IMO.
    Last edited by draftedraptor; Sun Jan 8th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information