Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Barbosa'a trade value?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Barbosa'a trade value?

    For the season he is averaging 12.6 ppg on 43.2% from the field (36.4 from 3), but his last 5 games he is putting up 18.6 ppg on 49.4% from the field and 47% from 3.

    He has over 60 games of play-off experience and is a proven scorer off the bench.

    Is his 7.6 million expiring deal more valuable just coming off the books, or would taking back longer term deal and a first round draft pick worth it? Could we even get a player and pick?

    EDIT: I realise there is a Barbosa to the lakers trade thread, but wanted to get a little more discussion on weather the cap relief is better than a trade, or if there are other scenarios out there.
    Last edited by WJF; Tue Jan 17th, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think getting a 1st rounder for Barbosa is unlikely.

    DraftExpress has Myck Kabonga currently slated as the 26th pick. If I was a GM, I would much rather take a chance on Kabongo, rather than trade the pick for Barbosa, who's definitely on the down side of his career, isn't a good defender, isn't an efficient scorer, and isn't guaranteed to re-sign at season's end. I don't think his last 5 games affects his value at all, especially when you consider he's getting more minutes because Bayless has been injured.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think you could certainly get a first rounder for him. There's bound to be some team come trade deadline who desperately needs scoring off the bench and are willing to throw a late first rounder our way if it means it ups their odds on winning a championship.

    Barbosa to the lakers just makes too much sense.
    Bulls too.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think getting a 1st rounder for Barbosa is unlikely.

    DraftExpress has Myck Kabonga currently slated as the 26th pick. If I was a GM, I would much rather take a chance on Kabongo, rather than trade the pick for Barbosa, who's definitely on the down side of his career, isn't a good defender, isn't an efficient scorer, and isn't guaranteed to re-sign at season's end. I don't think his last 5 games affects his value at all, especially when you consider he's getting more minutes because Bayless has been injured.
    Myck Kabongo isn't going to put a contending team over the top - Barbosa just might.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Myck Kabongo isn't going to put a contending team over the top - Barbosa just might.
    I'm not sold he is a one and done player. An extra year to work on his body and improve his shooting would not be a bad thing. What would be even better for him would be to have J'covan Brown leave after his junior year.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold he is a one and done player. An extra year to work on his body and improve his shooting would not be a bad thing. What would be even better for him would be to have J'covan Brown leave after his junior year.
    I was replying to Nilanka's post about Kabongo. A GM picking 26th usually has a very good team. If he has no depth or a need at SG, then I don't see him looking to keep a late first round draft pick. The window of opportunity in pro sports is not always open. Most late first round draft picks are not going to amount to much - of course there are always exceptions which we can all rattle off.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I was replying to Nilanka's post about Kabongo. A GM picking 26th usually has a very good team. If he has no depth or a need at SG, then I don't see him looking to keep a late first round draft pick. The window of opportunity in pro sports is not always open. Most late first round draft picks are not going to amount to much - of course there are always exceptions which we can all rattle off.
    I was agreeing with you, I guess I just failed to make that clear.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I was agreeing with you, I guess I just failed to make that clear.
    Oh.... haha, sorry.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold he is a one and done player. An extra year to work on his body and improve his shooting would not be a bad thing. What would be even better for him would be to have J'covan Brown leave after his junior year.
    Why would J'covan Brown leave Texas after this season? He's the best player on the current team, he's not very high on anybody's NBA radar, a group of highly touted bigs are coming to the U of T program next season, and he is having his best season season by far production wise.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm working under the assumption that any 1st round pick in 2012 will be more valuable than previous years simply because of the anticipated quality and depth of the draft.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Barbosa is an expiring contract, so while he'll be a good rental for a playoff run by a team with a chance to go all the way, I don't think he'll net much in return for the Raptors. That's not to say I wouldn't do a deal, but you have to be careful that you're not taking something back that's not going to be as useful in the longer term as having the $7.5M this summer.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the Bulls could get a late first rounder for James Johnson, then I see no reason why we can't get a late first rounder for Leandro Barbosa. I think there will be teams in March who are either on the cusp of playoffs or teams that are contenders who suffer an inconvenient injury that will look to crappy teams such as ours looking for some help.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    If the Bulls could get a late first rounder for James Johnson, then I see no reason why we can't get a late first rounder for Leandro Barbosa. I think there will be teams in March who are either on the cusp of playoffs or teams that are contenders who suffer an inconvenient injury that will look to crappy teams such as ours looking for some help.
    Different scenario. We got JJ on his rookie contract, from a Chicago team trying to shed salary in order to add a SG who could play meaningful minutes on a playoff team. Toronto basically traded a cheap young player for a cheap young player. Chicago didn't take on 7.5M in salary that year. Teams aren't going to mortgage their future for a couple of months of Barbosa. They'll take him if they can get him cheap, but if it means giving up a top draft pick, I don't think it's going to happen unless there are ulterior motives like in the Chicago/JJ deal.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The one thing that is very plausible is that Bryan holds on to Barbosa until the end of the year, and then gets resigned for somewhere around $4-5M/year. If Bryan cannot get a PG and if Bayless is on the way out, Bryan may want to hold on to Barbosa as a backup PG/SG that can provide some veteran leadership to a young team.

    I'm not sure what Barbosa would be looking for as a free agent. He seems to like Toronto and if Bryan is a fan of his, then he may just be a part of the build. Plus he would be a good bargaining chip for Nash, if Bryan wanted to try and get Nash over for his last few years.

    Just something to think about.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter IROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa/Toronto
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He won't go for a first rounder...teams are going to want to keep their first round picks because there are some really good players even into the second round this year. If they could somehow pry a first rounder from Boston, Chicago or Orlando that would be awesome. But I really feel like under the new CBA and because its the best draft in years, teams will keep later picks more than usual.

    that being said, I think he could bring back a mid second rounder and a prospect that hasn't had a good run on a contender. EX/ Boston Celtics trade Avery Bradley and a second rounder for Barbosa. Chicago sends Jon Lucas or CJ Watson or Ronnie Brewer and a second rounder, Orlando sends a couple second rounders.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sure where I heard it, but I beleive and ESPN analyst was talking about Phoenix moving Steve Nash for a draft pick and he estimated Nash being worth a pick between the 7th & 10th. Using that as a measurement I would say Barbosa would get you a pick in the early to mid 20's at best.

    I'd say it's not worth it. This draft class is getting a tonne of hype but as with all drafts the impact players go in the top 5 to 10 with the occasional break out player going later. IMO we should let the $$ come off the books and use it to sign a free agent. There are a few interesting Centre's that could acquired for cheap in this years free agency class which could be useful to to the Raptors in need of a mentor for JV.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Barbosa is an expiring contract, so while he'll be a good rental for a playoff run by a team with a chance to go all the way, I don't think he'll net much in return for the Raptors. That's not to say I wouldn't do a deal, but you have to be careful that you're not taking something back that's not going to be as useful in the longer term as having the $7.5M this summer.
    If it is not a draft pick or a draft pick coupled with an expiring contract, I wouldn't bother for the very reasons you mention.

    Barbosa has no trade value after the trade deadline. If Toronto can get an asset before the trade deadline that will have value after (draft pick) that would be good for the Raptors long term. If you really want him, and he really wants to be here, then they can resign him in July.

    Another thing to keep in mind is the Cleveland-Baron Davis situation last year. It was a fluke they got #1 with the Clippers pick but it worked out very well for them. I think the Clippers were 'suppose' to pick 8 - 8 this year would be a nice selection.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmm.. I guess you're right although I didn't say top draft pick. I'd be interested in seeing, actually, the number of trades that have been made in past few years for players like Barbosa.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would have to agree with letting Barbosa come off the books. Most likely we will have to take back a player worth the same amount, due to cap restrictions. Unless we get an expiring contract coming back it's not worth it. I like our cap flexibility for the 2012 free agent group. The Lakers would be a good trade partner because they have a TPE from Dallas.


    Dream Scenario:

    So, with the Lakers we might be able to swing a trade for either their pick or the one they received from Dallas. Which ever is worse. We would also get a TPE for next year. With this option we still get to keep our cap room and pick up a player via trade to better our team next year.


    Alternative Scenario:

    We could end up trading a 2013 or 2014 first rounder for a 15-25 pick this year. By that time we should be a better team and we would be drafting in that area anyways. We could get this "build" going a bit quicker. Three rookies coming in might be a bit much though.

    This could be our team next year and in the future :


    JV
    Bargs
    Barnes/Miller/MKG
    DeMar
    Kabango/Marshall/Teague

    Bench:

    Amir
    Ed Davis
    Calderon
    J.J.
    Kleiza
    Veteran SG with 3Pt. shooting
    Weems
    back up Centre


    Starters could be switched.
    Last edited by saints91; Tue Jan 17th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Why would J'covan Brown leave Texas after this season? He's the best player on the current team, he's not very high on anybody's NBA radar, a group of highly touted bigs are coming to the U of T program next season, and he is having his best season season by far production wise.
    Did I say he would or should leave? The only thing I said is that it would be good for Myck if he left, an undersized shooting guard who dominates the ball is not the best thing to have when you are trying to develop as a lead guard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •