Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Future not as Bright? (or is the future brighter? see post 130)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I thought Denver still had a good portion of their $17M Carmelo exemption.

They signed Nene and Afflalo with Bird's Rights so no hit to exemption.

Felton was traded for Miller so no hit to exemption as almost equal salaries.

The only use of it I was aware of was Brewer and Fernandez which would have been around $5M leaving what I thought to be around $12M.

I could be wrong on this and it wouldn't be the first time, but unless I am missing another use of the TPE, I think I'm right.
    I wonder if there's a list of teams that are the biggest players in the free agent market....
    I guess who has the most cap space, draft picks, expiring contracts, etc etc.

Comment

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

This link should give you an idea of who will have the most cap space next offseason. You will have to sort through every team though

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I thought Denver still had a good portion of their $17M Carmelo exemption.

They signed Nene and Afflalo with Bird's Rights so no hit to exemption.

Felton was traded for Miller so no hit to exemption as almost equal salaries.

The only use of it I was aware of was Brewer and Fernandez which would have been around $5M leaving what I thought to be around $12M.

I could be wrong on this and it wouldn't be the first time, but unless I am missing another use of the TPE, I think I'm right.

You are probably correct. The only major trade Denver pulled off after the Carmelo trade was swapping Felton for Miller and that would not have used any of the TPE. I had never heard of shamsports before today so the information could be very wrong. Too bad the ESPN trade machine is down so that we could verify

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          i'm not disappointed AT ALL..

casey completely changed the team culture... and two of the players who have bought in the most are probably the two most unlikely to (bargs and jose)

changes dont happen overnight... with barely any preseason and training camp, and this early into a shortened season with a very busy schedule, and BARGS has bought into a DEFENSIVE philosophy change?

that's pretty amazing...

i'm pleasantly surprised he's caught on so fast... but the fact that young kids, who've been stuck in their ways never playing for more than 2 or 3 coaches in their lives... never having been asked to change their game.. are having a tougher time adjusting to a drastic change... it's not really a surprise

give them time... if they're still this shite 2/3 of the way through the season, then bury them...

JJ has time to practice his jumper..
          Ed and Demar have time to grow some balls..
          Bayless......... to be honest, i damn near forgot he was even on the team
          I agree with this assessment of the team so far.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

There's not much talent on the roster. Some of these guys will be flipping burgers in 5 years time. The regulars would be benchwarmers on a really good team. This was obvious before the season started. If the organization does its job, none of them will be on the roster in 5 years.

Comment

i am pretty sure the entire forum was "i don't care if we win or lose as long as we play defense and compete every night" before the season started. we played a few good games to start the season and bam "were close to being a playoff team, if only DD could be a complete player or if only ED was able to do exactly what we said he should be able to do".

prior to the season people were saying ed is going to be doing 15 and 10 and now he isn't. he is labeled a failure. he never said those numbers, forum fanatics did. "he isn't the double double machine in his second year i said he would be must be garbage then."

derozan gets the first coach who tries to teach him something besides saying "go jump and everyone will love you" and now he is isn't living up to your expectations. "hes a failure".

right now, until i see differently, i am taking casey at his word. he said "if i see them working on it in the gym after practice they can do it in the game" so that means he HAS seen demar putting in the work.

personally i would like DD to shoot about 3 or 4 3s a game and hit around 30% anymore than 4 i think is a better used closer to the basket unless he is hitting 40-50% of his 3s. but until he is hitting those numbers the only way to get there is by shooting and practicing. in the meantime rebound and play good perimeter D and no one should have a problem with him.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

This link should give you an idea of who will have the most cap space next offseason. You will have to sort through every team though
                thanks man

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                  There's not much talent on the roster. Some of these guys will be flipping burgers in 5 years time. The regulars would be benchwarmers on a really good team. This was obvious before the season started. If the organization does its job, none of them will be on the roster in 5 years.
                  I agree. There's no point. Fire colangelo, fire casey, sell the team and lets all just watch hockey.
                  Wait, is that a magic elf? on a unicorn? hold on, i have to chase it....
                  damn this is one good blend....

Comment

Agreed

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    You've got Bargs, Jose, and Amir as solid pieces right now. Next year you get two highly touted rookies and at least one significant free agent that can start. One of those rookies could start. Then you have a not bad bench of "DeRozan, Davis, J.Johnson and Bayless" and Kleiza. What's not to like.
                    Barg`s, Jose, and Amir are the new core for this team. Hopefully JV will be the undisputed go-to-go when he arrives (after some seasoning). DeRozan can be a solid filler and the jury is still out on JJ. He has some tools to be a solid role player as well. I`m very disappointed in Davis. Lots of hype but no production. Can`t give up on him yet...i guess...but Amir is way ahead of him IMO. I think we are in good shape. Great coach and some good core players. We are probably 3 years away but as long as we`re progressing I`m happy.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      I think you may have hit the nail on it's head when you said that you noticed Casey pulls him out during the last few minutes of the game, but I DON'T think the Raptors should be molding him as the teams finisher.

He's probably looking around at his fellow draft mates like Tyreke and Jennings and marveling at their success. However, unlike them he doesn't have the talent. I'm not saying that he isn't a good player and can't get better, but he's been in the league long enough to know if he's a star or not, and Demar is not a star. He's been in countless isolation situations where he takes two dribbles and the third is off his foot. I think his biggest problem right now if that he still thinks he's on the same level as his buddies and can't grasp the fact that he might be a role player.
                      Unfortunately I think you`re right. The confidence and killer instinct that is needed to take over games is something that Demar should have developed before now. Not saying that he can`t get better, I`m sure he will. But he will never be the guy who consistently gets the ball with the game on the line ala Kobe or Carmelo. If he becomes a great role player 19-7-3 with good defense I think we`d be lucky.
                      Last edited by Raptorboy; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 04:30 PM. Reason: adding extra

Comment

Raptorboy wrote: View Post
                        Unfortunately I think you`re right. The confidence and killer instinct that is needed to take over games is something that Demar should have developed before now. Not saying that he can`t get better, I`m sure he will. But he will never be the guy who consistently gets the ball with the game on the line ala Kobe or Carmelo. If he becomes a great role player 19-7-3 with good defense I think we`d be lucky.
                        If DeRozan can average 19-7-3 I would be doing cart wheels all over the ACC.

Comment

If DeRozan can average 19-7-3 I would be doing cart wheels all over the ACC.
                          That is pretty optimistic. Maybe 17-5-2. I think that's possible. He just doesn't seem to have much of a basketball IQ. But who knows? He got lots of athleticism and he works very hard so he might get it someday? One can hope.

Comment

I think Derozen's ceiling is 18-3-3.

Dude is allergic to rebounding and only gets assists when he passes to a wide open Bargs. He can't create to save his life.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Raptorboy wrote: View Post
                              That is pretty optimistic. Maybe 17-5-2. I think that's possible. He just doesn't seem to have much of a basketball IQ. But who knows? He got lots of athleticism and he works very hard so he might get it someday? One can hope.
                              I was replying to your comment of:

Raptorboy wrote:

My comment still stands: I'd be doing cartwheels all over the ACC.

I don't think it is likely or realistic.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                I think Derozen's ceiling is 18-3-3.

Dude is allergic to rebounding and only gets assists when he passes to a wide open Bargs. He can't create to save his life.
                                His problem is that there's too much Drew league playground crap to his game. In the NBA, I'm disappointed in how he gets to the ball, slashes to the basket and cutting on offense. He stands around, one and done. Doesn't he watch video? Don't they have assistants for this? Watching him bee-line to the hoop and getting stripped, falling down is by far THE MOST disappointing aspect of this player, this year. Happy with the team's qdefensive effort but DD is slowly becoming and enigma (sorry to say, last year's Bargnani). He needs time, I get that but it needs to be soon and please lose the Rucker Park bullshit.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X