Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting Rasual Butler: not even pretending you aren't tanking.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting Rasual Butler: not even pretending you aren't tanking.

From an article on the Wizards:

"The Wizards finally won a game this week, beating a Raptors team so overtly obvious in their tanking that they start Rasual Butler. "

I thought that was funny. But the guy, not being a Raptors fan, doesn't know what our alternatives at small forward are...

Post Thanks / Like

One could argue that the "tank" was in as soon as Colangelo elected to not spend the money and opt to sign guys who are lucky to be in the NBA. It depends on the definition of "tank". This team is trying to win games as best they can but have no talent. The players aren't tanking. There is no tanking going on at that level for sure. If the coaches were truly trying to tank then wouldn't Alabi be getting 30 MPG or until he fouls out? Instead he's in d league.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not call this a tanking season, rather it is a developing season.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'tank' consists in putting the Dwane Casey in a position where starting rasual Butler seems like it makes sense.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

rasual starts because it is an empty position for us. in a couple weeks it should be klieza while we hope to trade him off. coming from the wizards whose entire existance is a tank is ridiculous though. if jon wall is your pg you should win more by accident.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Say what you want about Butler atleast he is not collecting Rashard Lewis's salary.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey loves his defense, not much more to it than that. All our SF's have fatal flaws/are shitty

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    One could argue that the "tank" was in as soon as Colangelo elected to not spend the money and opt to sign guys who are lucky to be in the NBA. It depends on the definition of "tank". This team is trying to win games as best they can but have no talent. The players aren't tanking. There is no tanking going on at that level for sure. If the coaches were truly trying to tank then wouldn't Alabi be getting 30 MPG or until he fouls out? Instead he's in d league.
    Very good point Apollo. I second that.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I would not call this a tanking season, rather it is a developing season.
    Would not be so bad if key young players could stay healthy Bargs, Bayless, JJohnson
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jan. 18

National Basketball Association
    NBAWLPCTGBHOMEROADDIVCONFPFPADIFFSTRKL10
    Washington

212.143102-60-60-21-1087.698.4-10.8Won 12-8
    Detroit

312.2002-51-71-53-885.094.7-9.7Lost 31-9
    Charlotte

312.2002-61-60-62-1191.1101.7-10.7Lost 22-8
    New Orleans

311.21491-72-40-32-1086.791.9-5.1Lost 51-9
    New Jersey

411.2671-43-71-12-892.5100.7-8.2Won 13-7
    Toronto

411.2672-42-71-33-985.192.1-7.0Lost 62-8
    Sacramento

410.28683-31-71-02-690.1101.8-11.6Lost 33-7
    Milwaukee

49.3084-10-81-02-291.896.1-4.2Lost 32-8
    Phoenix

59.35773-42-51-13-593.996.4-2.6Won 14-6
    Golden State59.35773-42-50-30-595.999.8-3.9Lost 13-7
    Source: ESPN.com

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    And that made my morning.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bahahahahaha, love the use of Rasual Butler to depict Colangelo's change in mood.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

amazing
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

When Eric Gordon gets back New Orleans will have an uptick in wins. The Raptors will pass them and Jersey, landing them in the bottom four. To fall any more than that they're going to either need to call up Alabi and give him starter minutes and get Hoffa on the phone to see if he can handle danger of showing his face in Toronto again.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

on the NBA website we are 5th last. I can see New Orleans and possibly one other team moving past us. I think we will be top 3 or 4, which is a great position, The worst team usually doesn't get the first pick.

I would have to agree, Colangelo was not trying to make the playoffs this season. The off-season proves it. Although if DeMar and Ed don't improve this season, the franchise takes a step back in the building process.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

If some players, like DeRozan and Davis start playing better, which I believe at least one of them will, and Bargnani comes back, we can have a good stretch as well. In that case there is a good chance there will be 5 or more (say 6) teams worse than us.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    If some players, like DeRozan and Davis start playing better, which I believe at least one of them will, and Bargnani comes back, we can have a good stretch as well. In that case there is a good chance there will be 5 or more (say 6) teams worse than us.
    Bargnani coming back also opens things up for DeRozan and ED.

Right now teams are preparing and planning for DD and ED as part of the starting 5. Bargnani definitely takes some of the pressure off them.

There is no doubt the guys have talent. I think they'll eventually put it together. It is these trying times that will show their true worth.

A silver lining for Raptors management might be determining if they are wanted here for the long term or not. Their value right now is undoubtedly low. However that potential and talent is still there. Hopefully they put it together so the Raptors can look at this season as something other than a waste and possibly put them in a deal to get an established star from a team looking to cut costs or gain flexibility (*COUGH* RUDY GAY, MEMPHIS *COUGH*).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we traded DeRozan for Mayo yet?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Bargnani coming back also opens things up for DeRozan and ED.

Right now teams are preparing and planning for DD and ED as part of the starting 5. Bargnani definitely takes some of the pressure off them.
    And in spite of all the critique he is receiving here Butler will probably start trending his 3pt% towards his career mean pretty soon (and that's all he has to do here, defend and spread the floor) which will help a bit to open the paint more for Davis and help DeRozan in- and outside.

Having a bad run isn't bad for these young guys, it's how they'll respond to it (which they'll need to learn) which will tell management and us if they have the capability and character to be here on a new contract. Fans are up and down on those young players, just like most young players aren't consistent on the floor. If facing adversity doesn't build character, Colangelo can do what he does best.
    Last edited by Soft Euro; Fri Jan 20th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information