salary cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salary cap question

sorry to start a new thread for this because anyone who knows the right answer can end it.

but right now there are the trade barbosa threads, which i agree with, but people are talking about matching salaries.

it is my understanding that end of year payroll cant exceed the cap limit. and a deadline deal takes more than half of barbosa' salary away. so wouldn't the take back be substantially less than face value?

i am just a bit confused because i thought that was the beauty of the rental.

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    sorry to start a new thread for this because anyone who knows the right answer can end it.

but right now there are the trade barbosa threads, which i agree with, but people are talking about matching salaries.

it is my understanding that end of year payroll cant exceed the cap limit. and a deadline deal takes more than half of barbosa' salary away. so wouldn't the take back be substantially less than face value?

matching of salaries comes into play when the team(s) acquiring a player/players is over the cap (it's important to keep 'cap' & 'tax' separate & distinct). if the raps wanted to trade barbosa to a team that was over the cap, they'd have to take back a player making around the same $ (there is some leeway, it obviously doesn't have to match exactly, but it does have to be within a certain limit - under the old CBA, the two salaries had to be within 125% +/- $100K). the new CBA has different parameters, but i'm not sure exactly when they come into effect (here's a link to larry coon's fantatstic FAQ re. the CBA - bear in mind, this is the old CBA: https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm).

because the raps are under the cap, they can take on salary without having to match.

don't worry about the pro-rated aspect of salaries, since the same would apply to an incoming player; for this shortened season, all players are making less than the 'real' value of their contracts (by about 20%); it all comes out in the wash. if the raps want to trade barbosa, it may be tricky, since teams that would be interested in him are likely playoff-bound teams looking to shore up depth &/or add some scoring punch, and these teams are more than likely over the cap (meaning the raps would need to take back an almost-equivalent contract; which isn't terrible, as long as it's either expiring, or for a decent-ish player who can either be part of the rebuild or easily flipped) OR, as was mentioned in another thread, the raps could trade him to a team for their TPE. but one thing they'd need to be cognizant of in that scenario is that there is a salary floor that all teams are required to remain above, and wiping barbosa's remaning $$ off the books at the trade deadline without taking back any $ might get them there.

the trade machine on espn is useful for laying out the groundwork of trades.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

thank you

Comment

FYI, the trade machine is down this week as it undergoes a revision for the new cba rules

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post

You can take on more salary in at trade but it has to be within these parameters:

Trade rules

• 2005 CBA: Teams over the cap can acquire no more than 125 percent plus $100,000 of the salaries they trade away. A team can receive up to $3 million cash in any trade.

• 2011 CBA: Taxpaying teams can acquire no more than 125 percent plus $100,000 of the salaries they trade away (same as 2005 CBA). Non-taxpaying teams (based on their post-trade salary level) can acquire up to the lesser of 150 percent plus $100,000, or 100 percent plus $5 million of the salaries they trade away. The cash a team pays or receives in trade is limited to $3 million annually.

• Who benefits? The relaxation of the salary matching requirements will facilitate player movement. The addition of the provision that allows teams to acquire up to 100 percent plus $5 million of the salaries of its traded players will also reduce "trade ballast" -- extra players thrown into a deal merely to make a trade legal. The number of crazy trades should therefore be reduced.

The limitation of cash in trades (to $3 million annually) will have a big effect on draft-pick trades. It is now common for first-round picks to be sold for up to $3 million each prior to the draft. By limiting teams to $3 million annually, these trades will be reduced.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...abor-agreement

Comment

Working...
          X