No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Nash deal goes down with a s&t incl. Jose then it's a wash (there are murmurs that the Nash deal is for 30 mill/3 yrs). This allows the Raps to go for another above-moderately priced FA. No? The TPE can also come into play I think (I dont know the rules here vis a vis the cap position).

Comment

• Marc Stein: Just going online and on SportsCenter: Hawks have agreed in principle to deal Marvin Williams to Utah for Devin Harris to shed even more $ Twitter
      Does this open a spot up for Calderon or have Utah picked up another PG
      Edit: Mo williams was picked up
      Brian T. Smith: Harris-Williams trade has not been finalized but both sides are hopeful it will go through. Twitter
      Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I don't think Ilyasova is a SF but could there be some out there in Raptor front office who do?

They have been adamant that SF is the #1 priority after Nash.
        Unless they're planning to take care of that priority via a trade?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          Unless they're planning to take care of that priority via a trade?
          It is definitely a possibility but given the amount of financial flexibility, young players, high draft pick, and extreme hype leading up to the draft, I'm not sure the trade market is necessarily open to Colangelo on his terms.

Comment

• now that's a trade. Joe Johnson for 4 guys who've never been in my kitchen. Sure it's a big contract but that's one of the best players at his position. From all i've heard, this is the trade (but for a SF) that Colangelo is looking for. Get it done! As for who, I have no idea.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
              now that's a trade. Joe Johnson for 4 guys who've never been in my kitchen. Sure it's a big contract but that's one of the best players at his position. From all i've heard, this is the trade (but for a SF) that Colangelo is looking for. Get it done! As for who, I have no idea.
              Who would be options? All salary figures approximate for 2012-13 and certainly not mean to be an exhaustive list (just off top of head):

Gay $16M
              Iguodala $14M
              Smith $13M
              Chandler $6M
              Wright $4M
              Marion $8.5M
              Prince $6.5M
              Granger $12M
              George $rookie deal (if IND matches max contract to Roy "12/8" Hibbert, hmmmmmmm)
              Deng $13M
              Dudley $4.5M

FWIW, I like Dudley and would love to see him come in a S&T for Nash. He is a real value contract in my opinion.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                $12.5M per for Batum? Please... Seems a little crazy if you ask me.
                I have to agree.

I really like his game but he is very much like DeRozan in the sense he has shown tremendous flashes but has never put it all together - and he is much more skilled than DD.

If a team pays $12.5M they are paying for what they think he could be and not what he is.

Comment

• Hoopsworls has Batum under "done deals" along with Garnet, Hibbard, Hill and Miller

Nicolas Batum, 4 years, $45-50 million (offer sheet), Minnesota Timberwolves – Like with any restricted free agent, the Timberwolves had to overshoot Batum’s value a little (okay, a lot) to ensure that his former team, the Portland Trail Blazers, would not match the offer sheet. While Batum is undeniably talented and an argument could be made pretty easily that he’s got more to give as a player than what he was able to show in Portland, this is a huge chunk of change. The scary thing for the Blazers is that they’ll have to decide on matching this within the same time frame that they’ll be waiting for Indiana to make a call on Hibbert. They might not be able to splurge on both, so it’ll be interesting to see how they deal with everything.

For Minnesota, though, they’ll have the shooting guard they’ve been wanting for a couple of seasons now, even if it cost a pretty penny to get it done.
                  Nash and Allen under Standing Offers
                  Standing Offers:

Steve Nash, 2 years, $36 million, Toronto Raptors – Nash also met with the Knicks on the first day of free agency, but it’s the Raptors’ offer that leaked after a day’s worth of meetings. For $12 million a year, the Raptors get the guy for which Canadian basketball fans have been praying for years, instilling civic pride in the Raps and boosting attendance for what really is a great fan base. Nash doesn’t make this team a championship contender, but he helps Toronto in a lot of other ways, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s kind of fun envisioning Nash wrapping up his career in Canada.

The Knicks, however, are quite a bit more interesting. That’s a team Nash could help make a championship contender, and if Jeremy Lin ends up with an impossible Omer-Asik-type deal from some other team, Nash would be a very logical fit with the Knicks, assuming he’d be interested in playing there for quite a bit less than $12 million a year.

Nash will meet with other teams, but these are the two most intriguing. Almost everyone seems to be rooting for him to end up in Toronto.
                  And under Up Next Williams and Lin

Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks & Others – Just like with Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin likely to get a “poison pill” offer sheet from some team thanks to the Gilbert Arenas provision in the new CBA. He’ll get offered around $5 million for the first two years of the deal, then $14-15 million for the last two years, making it hard for the Knicks to match. They obviously want to keep him, but Toronto, Dallas, and Brooklyn have interest, too, though only Toronto is likely to offer the back-loaded deal, and then only if Nash spurns them.

There’s still plenty of hope for Lin in New York, but he’s good enough for other teams to complicate things for them.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of everything that’s going on in the world of free agency right now, but it is a far scorecard of all the known information currently out there. To keep an eye on what changes throughout the day (and the rest of free agency for that matter) keep refreshing our Free Agency Diary for the latest.
                  http://www.hoopsworld.com/free-agent-scorecard
                  Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• There was talk yesterday about Toronto and Batum's agent discussing in the next couple of days I thought.

Did BC say, "We are not going there so never mind?"

Comment

• http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...rom-steve-nash

The Raptors, meanwhile, are still having cursory discussions with other free agents but it’s unlikely anyone is asked for a formal commitment until the Nash situation is resolved.

There were indications late last week that they might have some interest in Knicks restricted free agent Jeremy Lin but it would likely take a back-loaded contract that pushes New York over the more punitive tax level that’s coming to make anything happen.

Of course, the two Houston guards are on Toronto’s radar: The Rockets were meeting with free agent Goran Dragic on Monday — they added his brother Zoran to their summer league team — and it’s doubtful Houston would open the season with both Dragic and Kyle Lowry under contract.

Other than that, the list of available small forwards — general manager Bryan Colangelo has admitted it’s a position that needs addressing — is underwhelming.

One name mentioned by one league source Monday was former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko. After playing last season is his native Russia, Kirilenko has expressed an interest in returning to the NBA and it was long thought he would be looking at Brooklyn as a landing spot. But with the Nets having locked up Gerald Wallace and, apparently, Joe Johnson to go along with current centre Brook Lopez and emerging young guard MarShon Brooks, there would seem to be no room for Kirilenko, the kind of multi-positional big man Colangelo loves.

Comment

Who would be options? All salary figures approximate for 2012-13 and certainly not mean to be an exhaustive list (just off top of head):

FWIW, I like Dudley and would love to see him come in a S&T for Nash. He is a real value contract in my opinion.
                        +1

It will not be easy to get him though.

Comment

• Ak47

One name mentioned by one league source Monday was former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko.
                          the kind of multi-positional big man Colangelo loves.
                          Source: The Star

This is not a new idea by any means. There were AK rumors still while the season was ongoing. I think AK would be an excellent pick up if his durability wasn't a major question mark.

Comment

• Ya I'm not big on Kirilenko .. not sure why.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Ya I'm not big on Kirilenko .. not sure why.
                              cause he looks like a thinner dolph lundgren?

Comment

I'm not sure how the offer gets done in Minnesota without someone getting amnesty (likely Darko).

According to HoopsHype.com salary page, the Wolves have $48.7M committed in salary. This does not include the team options on Brad Miller or Martell Webster. Those deals are not guaranteed but add about another $1.45M with what they are owed. That takes the Wolves to just over $50M for 2012-13.

The most they can offer RIGHT NOW - NOT INCLUDING TRADE OR AMNESTY - is $8M.
                                From the rumors I read, they would amnesty Webster and expect Miller to retire.

Comment

Working...
                                X