No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illyasove for 10mil is too much. He broke out yes, but I cant see us paying more than 8 mil. I guess it depends on where the salary cap is.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• The 76ers have elected to use their amnesty clause on Elton Brand, according to sources.

Brand has one season at $18 million left on his contract, which will come off Philadelphia's cap.

The 76ers must wait until July 11th to officially amnesty Brand.

Brand will go on waivers and become an unrestricted free agent if he goes unclaimed.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1zr9X5t4o
      I don't know if we even can get him but he would be great to play C and mentor JoVal

Comment

• I think there will be a lot of interest in Brand. But him, Val and Bargnani would actually make a well balanced front court rotation.

Comment

• connected wrote: View Post
          I don't know if we even can get him but he would be great to play C and mentor JoVal
          really interesting i thought phili could move him because he is a huge exipiring...well i think they might keep iggy they just freed 18 mil so whats the point of giving up AI for a 10 mil expiring. I honestly dont think iggy is a good fit like others have said he cannot make his own shot which is what we desepratley need. Its going to be interesting on what BC does next.

back to brand i dont think the raps will go after him...there is a log jam at PF and brand isnt a C

Comment

• How much do you think Brand is looking for? I doubt he still thinks he is worth max.

Comment

• Also does he play PF or can he step in as SF?

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                How much do you think Brand is looking for? I doubt he still thinks he is worth max.
                Brand isn't looking for anything right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it: if he is amnestied teams under the cap can bid on him with the highest bid winning. Phili only pays his contract minus what the new team bids.

If no team makes a bid he can clear waivers and becomes a free agent (with Phili paying his complete salary (but over a longer time - but that doesn't matter to us)). I doubt he clears waivers as he is still a pretty productive player and above average defensive player. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put in a (lowball) offer.

No way in hell he can play sf; he can only be used in a big man rotation.

Comment

How much do you think Brand is looking for? I doubt he still thinks he is worth max.
                  I think he just goes to the highest bidding team who is still under the salary cap - but geo might be right not sure if he can play the C because he's not the player he use to be and he's only 6-9 but he still blocks shots at a decent rate

Comment

Also does he play PF or can he step in as SF?
                    Brand's definitely a PF/C. Other than a decent mid-range jumper, he has no perimeter game to speak of.

Comment

• honestly stop talking about Brand
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        honestly stop talking about Brand
                        Coming from the guy worshiping Forbes...

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          honestly stop talking about Brand
                          lol did he touch you inappropriately?

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Brand isn't looking for anything right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it: if he is amnestied teams under the cap can bid on him with the highest bid winning. Phili only pays his contract minus what the new team bids.

If no team makes a bid he can clear waivers and becomes a free agent (with Phili paying his complete salary (but over a longer time - but that doesn't matter to us)). I doubt he clears waivers as he is still a pretty productive player and above average defensive player. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put in a (lowball) offer.

No way in hell he can play sf; he can only be used in a big man rotation.
                            http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

But amnesty is different from the normal waiver process in that it allows teams to make either a full or partial waiver claim. Full waiver claims have precedence over partial waiver claims -- if one team makes a full waiver claim and another makes a partial waiver claim, the team making the full waiver claim is awarded the player. If multiple teams make full waiver claims, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record.

A partial waiver claim is a bid for a single dollar amount. If no team makes a full waiver claim, the player is awarded to the team submitting the highest bid in a partial waiver claim. If multiple teams bid the same amount, the player is awarded to the team with the worst record. When a team is awarded a player via a partial waiver claim, it pays the following portion of the player's salary:

The amount of their bid, spread pro rata across all remaining guaranteed years of the player's contract
                            All non-base compensation, such as bonuses
                            100% of the player's salary in non-guaranteed seasons

If instead the above player's salary was 100% guaranteed in all three seasons, the minimum bid amount would be $4,200,178 -- the sum of the minimum salaries for a 10+ year veteran for those three seasons.

In order to submit a bid for a partial waiver claim, the bidding team must have cap room equivalent to the portion of their bid that would be charged to team salary in that season, plus the amount of any likely bonuses (see question number 72) for that season. If necessary, teams can create this cap room by waiving non-guaranteed players, but not by making trades. The team must make the cap room available immediately upon being awarded the amnesty claim.

Might be worth a try
                            Last edited by jbml; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• johnhollinger John Hollinger
                              RT @jrfingerCSN: Sixers source confirms that they will not re-sign Lou Williams

Philly needs a PF and PG now... if only we knew a team that had depth to possibly address both areas of concern via trade, for a team that is now over the cap...

Comment

• I don't think we have the cap space for Brand even as a partial waiver claim. We'd have to amnesty someone or renounce the TPE I think.. Brand is a good player, but not sure he's a typical 5. We have too many PF's as it is. I'd rather go after a solid SF with any money we have left over after Lowry/Fields, and then get a minimum contract guy for our backup center.

Comment

Working...
                                X