No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it interesting to read comments like, "Raps/BC shoulda signed (player X). Look at what he signed/settled for elsewhere!"

Ronnie Brewer is a classic case (and a guy I would have loved the Raps to sign).

Almost immediately after the Chicago Bulls decided not to guarantee the final year of guard Ronnie Brewer’s contract, the New York Knicks started their pursuit. The Knicks made their interest known very early and aggressively recruited the 27-year-old.

He officially joined the Knicks last week, signing a one-year deal worth the veteran’s minimum.

A lot of different teams were reaching out to me and I was weighing my options,” Brewer said to HOOPSWORLD. “At the end of the day, it didn’t come down to money. It came down to the best situation for me, as a person and as a player. I wanted to go somewhere I could win and have success. I wanted to go to a situation where playing basketball would be fun and I would enjoy doing it. You can go to a team that’s not as a good so that you thrive a little bit more, even though you’re losing, but that’s not fun to me. I wanted to go to a place where I could win.”

“From day one, the Knicks were on me and my agent,” Brewer said. “I had some relationships with people in the organization. Darrell Walker, one of the assistant coaches, and Damon Jones, who works in the front office, both went to Arkansas and they reached out to me. Coach Woodson reached out to me and the GM reached out to me as well. I felt like they really wanted me and I was an important target for their team, maybe the missing piece for them to be successful. It felt good to have the coaches and management reach out to me and recruit me.”
    I feel like it’s a great opportunity for me. With Iman Shumpert out right now, they need a defensive presence on the perimeter. Coach Woodson is a defensive-minded coach so I feel like it plays to my strengths. After talking with him, he seemed excited and I’m definitely excited. It’s a huge challenge. There are a lot of expectations for this team because we have so much star power. For me, I’m just going to come in and do my job: Defend, make hustle plays, take charges and run the floor. I just want to be the glue guy on an already good team. I’ve been working on my jump shot so I’ll be able to knock down open shots and I can finish in the lane and on the break. After talking to Coach, he felt like I could really be a plus for this team and make an impact.”
    While Brewer would have liked to return to the Bulls, he feels he has landed in another great situation with the Knicks. He’s counting the days until the season begins and he can’t wait to don blue and orange.

“It’s the bright lights and the big stage,” Brewer said. “This is what every basketball player lives for and I can’t wait for the season to start.”
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-bre...ass-on-knicks/

Not saying the Raps are one of those teams but when other teams are offering more money (and the link on HW homepage says minutes as well) and he still takes minimum, what is a team to do?

Free agency does not exist in a vacuum. It is easy for fans to pinpoint other contracts and say, "Why couldn't we get this player for that amount?" but it doesn't work that way. Too many variables from market, previous relationships with those in organization, opportunity to win, role with team, family, perceived quality of life from player, agent relationships with teams, etc. in addition to money.

Comment

• Good points that have been made at different times by yourself and others before. Hope those complaining about Cloangelo's lack of effort read this.

Comment

• Jamaal Magloire

Comment

• TheNBAGeek.com: 10 worst contracts of 2012-13

10. Marco Belinelli
          9. Raymond Felton
          8. Kirk Hinrich
          7. Jamal Crawford
          6. Chris Kaman
          5. OJ Mayo
          4. Nick Young
          3. Michael Beasley
          2. Jeff Green
          1. Brook Lopez

Really worth the click to read rationale: http://www.thenbageek.com/articles/t...2-13-contracts

I am really liking this site. Whoever first posted it in here that I saw, thank you! I don't always agree because basketball is not a strictly statistical sport but I definitely respect the consistency of the arguments.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            Good points that have been made at different times by yourself and others before. Hope those complaining about Cloangelo's lack of effort read this.
            They are goid points. But, that means there is good counter-points as well.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I just came in here to inform everyone that Dwight Howard's "The Decision" will consist of 2 seasons each with 24 episodes.
              @RavNation

Comment

• If only the Raps had signed Batum......

..... and reacquired Evans.....

The Raps could replace the "Pound the Rock!" with all sorts of creative slogans centred around balls.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  The Raps could replace the "Pound the Rock!" with all sorts of creative slogans centred around balls.

But then we'd have to resign Hedo as our marketer...

"Ball."
                  TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• Lmfao that Batum hit to the groin is hilarious. just look at it, the guy is going full speed at a guy to punch him in the testes.

Comment

• In Batum's defense, he got ball first.

Comment

Working...
                      X