No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portland pulling the offer wont anger hibbert and his agent because they just wanted the money, and they got it. take gordon who took the offer sheet and wants out of new orleans, he is trying to use this restricted period to hardball and get everything he wants. to me there should be penalties when players/agents try this, just play by the rules. but in hibberts case he doesn't actually want to leave the pacers just wants his cash.

if a player had their offer pulled and then lost out on 1. money or 2. playing where they wanted, they would have a shit and the agents would all go crazy. if we pulled fields offer, which i don't want to do anyway, he would be hard pressed to get the same deal or one comparable and his agent hasn't been working for him since our verbal agreement. only way that wouldn't go bad was if there was a condition like if nash agrees we go on with this, but we would have heard about that already and the excuses as to why we made the offer in the first place.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      portland pulling the offer wont anger hibbert and his agent because they just wanted the money, and they got it. take gordon who took the offer sheet and wants out of new orleans, he is trying to use this restricted period to hardball and get everything he wants. to me there should be penalties when players/agents try this, just play by the rules. but in hibberts case he doesn't actually want to leave the pacers just wants his cash.

if a player had their offer pulled and then lost out on 1. money or 2. playing where they wanted, they would have a shit and the agents would all go crazy. if we pulled fields offer, which i don't want to do anyway, he would be hard pressed to get the same deal or one comparable and his agent hasn't been working for him since our verbal agreement. only way that wouldn't go bad was if there was a condition like if nash agrees we go on with this, but we would have heard about that already and the excuses as to why we made the offer in the first place.
      Agreed.

That is the nature of RFA. Many teams will say to their own RFA, "This is what we are offering. If you can find a team willing to give you what you want, bring it back to us and we can look things over."

Comment

• So looking at the remaining sf's if raps take any Barnes and tmac are the only solid ones left. But with them they are both declining and Barnes will likely stay with LA if they can afford to keep him. Guess we'll just have to hope for a trade

Comment

• I honestly think we should stand pat. I want to see how derozan and fields hold up at the 3...if they do well then we can hold on to jose we would have the best pg dou in the league. If they dont do so well we can always trade jose at the trade deadline. A 10.5 mil expiring for half a year is good for contending teams and for teams looking to create flexibility. I dont want to see the raptors make a trade just for the sake of making one.

Comment

• geo wrote: View Post
            I honestly think we should stand pat. I want to see how derozan and fields hold up at the 3...if they do well then we can hold on to jose we would have the best pg dou in the league. If they dont do so well we can always trade jose at the trade deadline. A 10.5 mil expiring for half a year is good for contending teams and for teams looking to create flexibility. I dont want to see the raptors make a trade just for the sake of making one.
            It wouldnt be just for the sake of making one. The players are expendable now and we need a sf. If we were to do a trade for any other position I imagine a lot of people wouldn't be too happy and would say they were just trading because they wanted to but if it's for a team need then we shouldn't stand put and make those trades with our expendables

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              portland pulling the offer wont anger hibbert and his agent because they just wanted the money, and they got it. take gordon who took the offer sheet and wants out of new orleans, he is trying to use this restricted period to hardball and get everything he wants. to me there should be penalties when players/agents try this, just play by the rules. but in hibberts case he doesn't actually want to leave the pacers just wants his cash.

But if they pull the offer, doesn't that mean that Indiana can't match the offer and has to renegotiate a deal instead?

Comment

• Not hard to negotiate a max $ and max years. What's left to negotiate? lol

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                  But if they pull the offer, doesn't that mean that Indiana can't match the offer and has to renegotiate a deal instead?
                  That's what I was wondering... with no offer from Portland, there's no offer at all. Theoretically, that means that Indy could offer a lower priced deal, knowing they had no competition. I assume there was a verbal agreement in place between Indy and Hibbert to match the max deal. Otherwise, it would be a pretty dirty move on Indy's behalf.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                    Not hard to negotiate a max $ and max years. What's left to negotiate? lol
                    That's about a 1,3 million lol in the 4th year. Portland could only offer the max yearly increase of 4,5%. Indiana can pay 7,5%. So if they negotiate a max contract themselves they could find themselves paying Hibbert about 9% more in the 4th year. So, it makes a difference. See Zach Lowe's article at The Point Forward.

Comment

• it was said earlier here that instead of iggy, the raps should try and get T. Young. I recall him being a SF/PF combo player, We all know that BC likes his hybrids!

Comment

• Calderon being traded is a strong possibility, but there is a good chance with no other PG other than Uzoh in the line up that they may hold onto Jose until the trade deadline. I always hold out hope for a big trade each year but instead of Rudy Gay we always end up with Landry Fields. Sigh.

Is it too early to start a thread discussing which line up we think will be most effective with the players we are expecting to be here on the roster next season?

Comment

• Brendan Haywood Amnestied

Mav's Amnestied their starting centre today. Brendan Haywood is a 7'0" 260 lb enforcer who has always been an above average rebounder and defender over his career. He's a veteran, a former champion, and he's more than capable of starting for us until Jonas is ready. Also, Haywood has played beside Nowitzky for recent years and will know how to compliment Bargnani. He played for Casey before so he might already know how to excel in our system and maybe he has a good relationship with him. He should come at a reasonable price and would absolutely take care of one of our pressing needs, and we wouldn't have to give up a lot to get him either. If we start him and he can give us 6ppg and 7rpg in around 20-25 mpg I think it would be a valuable signing. With his size he could serviceably guard the biggest post players in the league.

Hopefully BC at least inquires and makes a good offer, I hope he wouldn't overpay though. Any more then $4-5 M on a 1 or 2 year deal (player option probably) would be too much in my opinion. Thoughts???

Comment

• I would pass on Haywood. He doesn't fit the up tempo style of this team. Remember he lost his starting spot to Chandler whom is a much more mobile player that can play an up tempo style. For the same reason I would not want to see us go after Elton Brand. We need mobile and athletic players to compliment our style of play.

Comment

• I would not be against Haywood on a very reasonable contract. Defensive veteran centre who knows how to play next to a shooting big. Isn't that exactly what we are looking for?

Comment

• I would be down for this, but then we would need to free up some roster space. Bigs would include: AB, ED, JV, AJ, AG, Magloire??

Not saying I'm against trading any of the bigs (aside from JV), just saying we'll need to move some pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X