Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Fuck you BC. Seriously Dragic was hands down the best PG available and if we can't outbid 4 years and 34 million we are fucking pathetic.
    Two years later:

PissedOffFan4Life wrote: View Post
    @#$% you BC. Seriously, you gave Dragic 4 years and 35 million? What were you thinking? He's a role player who had a contract year. We are @#$%ing pathetic.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Two years later:
      Nope.

Comment

• Dragic is one of those free agents that scares me. The fourth or fifth best PG on the market in a down year who gets overpaid because of scarcity. Then, in 2 years, you realize you're spending $8 million a season on a guy best suited as a backup.

Honestly, don't understand the obsession with PGs on Raptors boards/forums. Other than PF, it's the only position on this team where the personnel is actually fairly decent. Replacing Calderon with Dragic or Lin or Lowry will do nothing in terms of improving this club. The desperate need is for a guy who can create his own shot and force a double team. Why the focus on tier 3 or 4 PGs?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          Dragic is one of those free agents that scares me. The fourth or fifth best PG on the market in a down year who gets overpaid because of scarcity. Then, in 2 years, you realize you're spending $8 million a season on a guy best suited as a backup.

Honestly, don't understand the obsession with PGs on Raptors boards/forums. Other than PF, it's the only position on this team where the personnel is actually fairly decent. Replacing Calderon with Dragic or Lin or Lowry will do nothing in terms of improving this club. The desperate need is for a guy who can create his own shot and force a double team. Why the focus on tier 3 or 4 PGs?
          Agreed. My biggest fear now is BC reacting badly to Nash turning us down and forgetting about the methodical, organic rebuild/building and pulling off a desperation trade and/or signing that veers the franchise off course.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Dragic is one of those free agents that scares me. The fourth or fifth best PG on the market in a down year who gets overpaid because of scarcity. Then, in 2 years, you realize you're spending $8 million a season on a guy best suited as a backup.

Dragic has everything it takes to be a starting PG. I have no clue where you're coming from.

Comment

Dragic has everything it takes to be a starting PG. I have no clue where you're coming from.
              Nobody is questioning his talent, only the amount he's apparently getting paid. He could go on to become a top-tier starting PG, or he could plateau (or even worse regress), proving to be one of a long line of players who put up big numbers in a contract year and then never fulfilled the expectations that came with the big contract they signed. I'd give that kind of money to a proven commodity, but not to a guy who only started for half a season leading up to a new contract.

For me personally, he's not the type of PG that I'm hoping for, to become the Raptors' PG-of-the-future. I much prefer traditional pass-first floor general PG (like Nash and Calderon), who make their teammates better and look for their own shot after looking to get their teammates going. Dragic is more of a 'me first' PG, IMO (not horribly, but still more than ideal).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Agreed. My biggest fear now is BC reacting badly to Nash turning us down and forgetting about the methodical, organic rebuild/building and pulling off a desperation trade and/or signing that veers the franchise off course.
                Agreed . Part of the plan however was to add veterans. I still think they will try to add some age.

Comment

His track record as a starter is a couple dozen games in a 66 game season. You have no reluctance about giving $34 million to a guy who never really did much of anything in his 6 seasons except for a stretch of 25 games at the end of his contract year? Dragic might turn out to be a terrific starter or he might regress to the same player he was for 5 1/2 seasons. For me, it's not a gamble worht taking especially for the Raps who don't really need a PG.

Comment

• Jameer Nelson and the Magic reach deal in principle on a new contract
                    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...c-devos-family

Comment

• In regards to Landry Fields, I understand that he was signed in an attempt to block the Knicks from getting Nash, and was therefore overpaid ($6.6mil cap hit). But is this contract unreasonable?

Phoenix just agreed to terms with Michael Beasley, 3 years for $18mil ($6mil cap hit).

Personally, for similar contracts I would much rather have Fields then Beasley. I think Fields got slightly overpaid, but it was at least in part due to market value, rather then just blocking the Knicks.
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                        In regards to Landry Fields, I understand that he was signed in an attempt to block the Knicks from getting Nash, and was therefore overpaid ($6.6mil cap hit). But is this contract unreasonable?

Phoenix just agreed to terms with Michael Beasley, 3 years for $18mil ($6mil cap hit).

Personally, for similar contracts I would much rather have Fields then Beasley. I think Fields got slightly overpaid, but it was at least in part due to market value, rather then just blocking the Knicks.
                        But Toronto now has Fields, Kleiza, JJ, DeRozan, Ross and Forbes at the wing position (and Acy could play SF in a big lineup). How are they all going to get enough minutes? DeRozan is a borderline starter, due to his weak defensive game and terrible outside shooting, but the rest of them are better off as 2nd unit players. BC has added to his glut of solid rotation players, but still hasn't firmly upgraded the starting SF position, while burning up nearly $7M of his available cap space.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          But Toronto now has Fields, Kleiza, JJ, DeRozan, Ross and Forbes at the wing position (and Acy could play SF in a big lineup). How are they all going to get enough minutes? DeRozan is a borderline starter, due to his weak defensive game and terrible outside shooting, but the rest of them are better off as 2nd unit players. BC has added to his glut of solid rotation players, but still hasn't firmly upgraded the starting SF position, while burning up nearly $7M of his available cap space.
                          $6.3M.

He certainly has pieces to make a deal. Unfortunately it remains to be seen if there is any partner willing to dance.

Comment

• But that depends on what kind of offer Rush gets from another team – assuming he gets one. Rush made $2.96 million in 2011-12, and is seeking a raise from that number.

If a team were to offer Rush a contract starting at $3 million or so and build up, the Warriors would likely match and retain Rush. But if a team were to offer Rush most, or all, of the $5 million mid-level exception, that might be too high a price for the Warriors.

According to sources, one team considering making an offer to Rush is the Toronto Raptors, who had hoped to sign Nash. The Raptors had allocated significant money to Nash and now will look elsewhere – and perhaps toward Rush.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball...9970126944-766
                            If the Raps are to acquire Rush to have a SG/SF/wing rotation of:

Rush/Ross/DD/Forbes/Fields/Kleiza/JJ

In my opinion, this is stockpiling chips for December15-February 15 period.

December 15 when free agents can be traded.
                            February 15 (in non lockout year) is usually trade deadline.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              If the Raps are to acquire Rush to have a SG/SF/wing rotation of:

Rush/Ross/DD/Forbes/Fields/Kleiza/JJ

In my opinion, this is stockpiling chips for December15-February 15 period.

December 15 when free agents can be traded.
                              February 15 (in non lockout year) is usually trade deadline.
                              i think if we get rush..then i expect a big trade involving jj/forbes/ed/amir maybe even ross for a nice starting 3 (iggy?)

Comment

• so what. You think he's going to make a blockbuster trade for like Rudy Gay or something?

Comment

Working...
                                X