Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    That's a good idea as almost the entire league would be out of the running. The only problem I see with that is the most the Raptors can give him is a four year deal. He might do the math and come to the conclusion that he's better off to sign for the vet minimum with a contender for the rest of the season and then sign a four year deal in the off-season. That way he locks up a lot more guaranteed money.
    Or he could take the qualifying offer from Denver.

A way around that for Toronto would be to clear the cap space and offer the contract. Then pro-rate the contract and the left over cap space (where he would have missed a good portion of the season) can be given to him as a signing bonus - very similar to what OKC did with Nick Collison last year on his extension.

That way he gets the full amount of his guaranteed contract he could get this summer and becomes a free agent again at 28 versus 29 for his one last pay day.

Comment

• Sign me up.

Comment

Sign me up.
        I'll witness it.

Comment

• I wouldn't want us to sign Chandler or Batum. We will most likely draft a SF, why throw big money at solid SF's that will only make this team mediocre? i think BC should just try and score big in the draft. Save the cap space for a PG and backup SG

Comment

• Chandler and Batum would be two very nice pieces to add. I'm all for it but only after the draft. Lets see where we are on draft night and who's still on board. If we have a shot at Barnes, MKG or Miller I think you have to force feed them minutes so I'm not sure Chandler or Batum make sense. Who we draft dictates who we target via trade and free agency IMO.

Comment

• I like the idea of Chandler and drafting one of Miller/MKG.

Sweet sweet depth.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't want us to sign Chandler or Batum. We will most likely draft a SF, why throw big money at solid SF's that will only make this team mediocre? i think BC should just try and score big in the draft. Save the cap space for a PG and backup SG

i don't think the draft is ever a sure thing. there was this guy named sam bowie. i think you make the safe play and let the chips fall later as they land. if we are in the position of best player available im pretty sure this year is power forward heavy. does anyone know where barnes is slated this year? we are pretty set at the 4 and 5 i think.

Comment

I wouldn't want us to sign Chandler or Batum. We will most likely draft a SF, why throw big money at solid SF's that will only make this team mediocre? i think BC should just try and score big in the draft. Save the cap space for a PG and backup SG
                  Free agency comes after the draft so if they don't go after Chandler then they can change their plans on Batum. If they do sign Chandler they can always make a trade later. I think you're going to see a trade this summer anyway involving one of Amir or Ed. Then you need to consider the possibility that a PF is the best player available(a possible scenario based on some mocks) and they take a PF in the draft. Yeah, we're going to see some trades this summer.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:45 AM. Reason: .

Comment

• As strong as this year's draft is, too many rookies would make for a really tough year in 2013. The talent on this team is really sketchy so to add a FA starter as well as a draft pick at the same position is really not overkill. Chandler/Batum/other FA starting in 2012 with MKG/Miller/Barnes developing behind him can make us more competitive both now and in the future.

Comment

• he is project top 5. I'm looking at Miller and MKG, I'm high on Miller, he looks like a guy who can become a go to guy on a contender. He doesn't shy away from taking over the game and we desperately need someone like that. Bargs will have a huge load of his shoulders knowing he has another guy on the floor who can drop 20+ on any given night, and if DeMar improves too we will have 3 guy who can score at will.

Comment

Free agency comes after the draft so if they don't go after Chandler then they can change their plans on Batum. If they do sign Chandler they can always make a trade later. I think you're going to see a trade this summer anyway involving one of Amir or Ed. Then you need to consider the possibility that a PF is the best player available(a very likely scenario based on most mocks) and they take a PF in the draft. Yeah, we're going to see some trades this summer.
                        If Ed starts playing well and improves amir will most likely be gone. I like amir but he gets injured too often and isn't a great post player. Ed has potential to be a decent low post scoring threat and face up game.

Comment

• SandmanFan wrote: View Post
                          Chandler starting in 2012 with MKG/Miller/Barnes developing behind him can make us more competitive both now and in the future.

good point

Comment

• true that. But i don't want to overpay, what if Miller/MKG/Barnes end up developing fast and are ready to start? i'm pretty sure Chandler or Batum wouldn't be cool with coming off the bench and losing their starting job to a rookie.

Comment

true that. But i don't want to overpay, what if Miller/MKG/Barnes end up developing fast and are ready to start? i'm pretty sure Chandler or Batum wouldn't be cool with coming off the bench and losing their starting job to a rookie.
                              What if DeMar is traded or benched? DeMar should not be given anything. Look at a guy like Mayo. He averages 18 ppg his first two years and then last year he is sent to the bench where he is this year. Most importantly, Memphis were better off for it.

Chandler could start at SG. He did it for the Knicks. The Raps could make a trade or draft a SF. Given Chandler's defensive abilities, I would rather him starting at SG than DeMar at this time.

The next 5-6 months are going to be very exciting. There are a lot of possibilities moving forward.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                The next 5-6 months are going to be very exciting. There are a lot of possibilities moving forward.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X