No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that would be disgusting. You need a change of pace off the bench and Jose is perfect for that

Comment

• Portland matces:Novak Signs

Mike Wells: The Pacers are matching Portland's 4-year, $58 million offer to Roy Hibbert, according to a source. Twitter

Adrian Wojnarowski: Steve Novak has agreed to terms with New York, his agent Mark Bartelstein says. Twitter
      Sam Amick: The deal, according to Bartelstein, is fully guaranteed for four years, $15 million. Twitter

Comment

• How did Nash to Lakers happen?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...akers-happened

SUNDAY, JULY 1

Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo was the first caller to get through shortly after 12:01 a.m. Officials from the Knicks, Heat, Lakers, Mavericks and Nets dialed in soon thereafter. And with his client sitting in such close proximity after their late-night meal, Duffy offered each team that rang an opportunity to speak directly to Nash.

It didn't seem like much at the time, but that's when Nash and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak had their first chat. Kupchak let Duffy know that he was well aware of Nash's comments to Stephen A. Smith on ESPN New York 98.7 just days before about how "hard" it would be "to put on a Lakers jersey" after all of the Suns' playoffs battles with Kobe Bryant and Co. When Kupchak explained that he "had to call anyway," Duffy thanked him and assured him that he was wise to check in, dismissing Nash's quotes as "media hype."

Yet that's as far as things went with the Lakers on Day 1. Face-to-face meetings were quickly arranged with the two most obvious serious suitors to get the Nash sweepstakes officially underway: Toronto and New York.

The Raptors were first up at 10:30 a.m., with a seven-strong contingent of team officials arriving on a cross-country flight arranged by Raptors co-owner Larry Tanenbaum. With Raptors assistant coach Eric Hughes getting married that weekend in Pasadena, Calif., Tanenbaum made his private jet available to transport Colangelo, Raptors coach Dwane Casey, Nash's former Team Canada coach Jay Triano and the rest of the group to the other side of the country as quickly as possible overnight.

Tanenbaum also provided his ritzy Central Park apartment to serve as the venue for what Duffy described as a "big presentation." The food was lavish and the contract offer rich, but the video compilation Colangelo ordered up for the occasion made an impression on Nash that moved him more than a three-year, $36 million pitch ever could -- largely because Wayne Gretzky was the narrator.

Rumbles that Gretzky, one of Nash's boyhood heroes, would be involved in the Raptors' Nash pitch leaked out through the Toronto media before the two parties got together, but "involved" was understating it. The Great One's unmistakable voice was the backdrop for a compilation of clips and interviews that traced Nash's lifelong journey from young basketball dreamer on faraway Victoria Island in British Columbia to two-time MVP with the Suns, hitting all the stops (Santa Clara, Canada's fairy-tale run at the 2000 Olympics and more) in between and promising a Gretzky-esque legacy if he'd join the Raptors now.

More than one person in the room would later say that Nash was fighting back tears watching it all.

"We all were," Duffy said. "It was like watching a Hall of Fame video.

"They wanted us to close the deal right then."

[+] EnlargeNash
        Johnny Nunez/Getty ImagesSeen here with his twin daughters in 2010, Nash wanted to stay close to them and his toddler son.

Colangelo's approach was reminiscent of the full-court press that greeted Nash from Phoenix on the opening day of free agency back in 2004 -- when another extra-large traveling party descended upon Dallas to swipe Nash away from Mark Cuban's Mavericks -- with the bonus of knowing that the inspired Gretzky wrinkle took the whole operation to a new level. The difference this time, eight years later, is that Nash simply wasn't ready to move that quickly. He couldn't decide that fast knowing that the familiar soil of Toronto, home to Canada's only NBA franchise, was an address far away from his kids.

Comment

• id love to see the video
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            ... yeah I read that article. It was all about his kids. Phoenix agreeing to do a S&T with LA was them helping Nash out for all he did for their franchise. Shows a lot of class between both of them.

It sucks he chose to sign somewhere else, but family should always come first.

I'm not going to be one of those guys that boos him if I ever get a chance to see him live again.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              ... yeah I read that article. It was all about his kids. Phoenix agreeing to do a S&T with LA was them helping Nash out for all he did for their franchise. Shows a lot of class between both of them.

It sucks he chose to sign somewhere else, but family should always come first.

I'm not going to be one of those guys that boos him if I ever get a chance to see him live again.
              Proof that the PR firm that placed that article with Stein earned their money.

I'd have one question for Nash about all this, when you are living in NY during the Summer where are your three kids?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

I'd have one question for Nash about all this, when you are living in NY during the Summer where are your three kids?
                Their custody arrangement has his kids staying with Nash in the summer.. but when he's on the road the kids are with his ex-wife. If he was playing in Toronto, he would not be able to see his kids as often as their school is in Phoenix.

Comment

I read somewhere the custody arrangement was:

Wife has in season on road games,
                  Nash has in season for home games,
                  Both split the summer.

Comment

Their custody arrangement has his kids staying with Nash in the summer.. but when he's on the road the kids are with his ex-wife. If he was playing in Toronto, he would not be able to see his kids as often as their school is in Phoenix.
                    He has the toddler away from mom for the whole summer? I doubt it. Source please.

Comment

He has the toddler away from mom for the whole summer? I doubt it. Source please.
                      Actually sorry, they split summers.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...n-to-go-to-l-a

Nash has shared custody of his three children with his ex-wife. The terms of their custody arrangement are shaped by the NBA season. When he's at home the kids are with him, when he's on the road they're with his ex-wife; they split the summers.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I read somewhere the custody arrangement was:
                        Where?

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Wife has in season on road games,
                        Nash has in season for home games,
                        Likely only when the home games were in Pheonix. I really doubt the kids are flying back and forth based on the team's schedule. And obviously, Nash is not flying to Pheonix when home games are in LA.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Both split the summer.
                        Doubtful that the kids are away from mom for more than a couple of weeks, especially the toddler.

This father routine is extremely dubious, dude is divorced with three young children for a reason. Probably because he is to busy for family time, like many people.

Comment

Actually sorry, they split summers.
                          "Split the summer" probably means a few weeks at most, unless he spends part of the summer Pheonix.
                          No way "Custody during home games" is relevant unless home games are in Pheonix, not LA.

How many young children, especially under 2 year old toddlers, have you met who would be happy spending more than a few weeks, if that, away from mom?

Comment

This father routine is extremely dubious, dude is divorced with three young children for a reason. Probably because he is to busy for family time, like many people.
                            Steve Nash's ex-wife was caught cheating on him, thus the reason for the divorce. It happened around the time their 3rd kid was born. How busy is an NBA'er anyway? They play 41 home games. A game is what 3 hours long? Practice would only be like 3-4 hours long as well. I'm sure he spends a lot of time with his kids. Why are you assuming he doesn't?

Comment

I'm sure he spends a lot of time with his kids.
                              What I'm assuming is that the kids, especially the toddler, don't spend long periods of time away from their mother. What I know is that he lives in NY for the summer.

Comment

What I'm assuming is that the kids, especially the toddler, don't spend long periods of time away from their mother. What I know is that he lives in NY for the summer.
                                Whether the toddler is 2 years, 1 year or 1 week.. the courts had decided that they split their summers 50/50. So the kids get to stay with poppa for half as much time as their momma. Perhaps the two parents are in speaking terms and have decided to work some agreement where they spend that time together. Regardless of the fact, Steve gets time with his kids whether his ex-wife likes it or not.

Hopefully the parents put their personal differences aside and have worked an agreement where they can mutually spend time with their kids. And that is why the idea of his ex-wife spending her summer in NY makes a tonne of sense. Whether that is true or not is a different story. The fact is that Steve gets to spend half the summer with his kids no matter how old they are. And that's because of the law.

Comment

Working...
                                X