No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Augustin and I think we should go after him. His size is an issue, but he's got great play making skills, and has a really nice shot. He's already used to the half court offensive game by playing in Charlotte, so I think that would work well under Casey.

He's got a really good assist/to ratio. His stats (this year) are actually very comparable to Felton, but is three years younger.

He's no stud like DWill, CPaul or Rondo, but he may be a better guy to get for a reasonable price ($7-$8M/yr) than hoping to get someone like Kabongo who could end up a bust.

Comment

Augustin could be a good #2 PG. More of a PG than Bayless, IMO, allowing JB to play more as a SG and just score off the bench. Courtney Lee sounds pretty good to me as well. By the way, I think the RFA window is now only 3 days with the new CBA.

Other than that we need some dynamic wing players and I don't see any

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
        That list is underwhelming. Restricted free agents are risky to chase after. We could sign Lee to an offer sheet, but then our space is tied up for a player we don't even have. Rockets wait 7 day's, all the other free agents we wanted sign with other teams, Rockets match.

Teams let players they want to keep hit RFA all the time. Sometimes at that point, they even encourage their guy to seek a contract elsewhere. Once market value is determined, they wait the full 7 day's, then match. It's something we should do with Derozan, even if we do want to keep him.
        In the new CBA it is now 3 days to match for a restricted free agent.

Comment

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
          Other than that we need some dynamic wing players and I don't see any
          Mayo could be that guy. He's under-utilized, and under-appreciated in Memphis. The kid's a stud.

Comment

Outside of Beasley and Mayo whom would demand big bucks and starting roles I think there might be a few good players to look at filling out the bench. JJ Hickson might be a nice addition. Also have to take into consideration how to replace the points we'd lose if Barbosa moves onto another team after this season. I agree that this team is in bad need of starting calibre talent first, but all good teams have a good bench as well. I could see Hickson playing a Taj Gibson role for us off the bench.

Comment

Mayo or Lee for sure
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I agree with most of you that these players are not likely starters. However, they are all still young players (obviously only being in the league for 3 years), and as the past shows Colangelo loves to roll the dice on young players with potential that need/want a change of scenery. Im thinking if we can sign two or three for cheap, to replace Gray, Butler and Magloire, than hopefully they can grow and become strong bench players who can start if others get hurt.

I think Augustin will be a very strong second PG, and if Calderon leaves (Via trade) then he could start for a year.
                Mayo would be great if he is willing to come off the bench as well.

I would offer each of the players something like 4-5 Mill for 2-3 years, and see how they play. If they do not work out, I would assume there would still be some intrest left (although not as much) where we could get another decent player back.

I don't see us getting a star in Free agency, so getting a strong bench, with potential starters, while trying to get a star in the draft seems like a good option to me.

Comment

Augustin is playing great ball this season but I'm just not sold on his game yet...good shooter and rebounder, but his playmaking skills aren't great.

The best option for the Raps (unless he gets extended) is Nick Batum...Portland wants to resign G Wallace, so it doesn't look like they can retain both. And, Batum can come on a short and cheap deal if he does go to RFA because he hasn't proven himself to be worthy of a big contract, but has shown great potential and all around skill.

He would be an upgrade from what we have slotted at the 3 now that's for sure. Beasley could be nice but he's a loser..

Comment

I'd be happy giving up DeRozan, Amir, Barbosa and Bayless, to wind up with Mayo, Lee, SF from the draft lottery and a PG from late in the 1st round. This could be done in some combination of trade(s) and/or free agent signing(s), in addition to our own pick.

LINEUP
                    C: Valanciunas/veteran(Gray?)
                    PF: Bargnani/Davis/Kleiza
                    SF: lottery draft pick/Johnson/Kleiza
                    SG: Mayo/Lee/Forbes
                    PG: Calderon/late 1st round draft pick

I think that's a pretty decent 12 man roster.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

i was thinkin lee but then i thought about weems. Idk weems might come back new and improved. I say resign weems instead of Lee. And im thinkin Jason Thompson as a back up C

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        i was thinkin lee but then i thought about weems. Idk weems might come back new and improved. I say resign weems instead of Lee. And im thinkin Jason Thompson as a back up C
                        i never discount Sonny... he's one of my favourites... but, there are plenty of minutes to go around for solid contributors at the 2 & 3 spots.. especially if demar doesnt shape up

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
                          That list is underwhelming. Restricted free agents are risky to chase after. We could sign Lee to an offer sheet, but then our space is tied up for a player we don't even have. Rockets wait 7 day's, all the other free agents we wanted sign with other teams, Rockets match.

Teams let players they want to keep hit RFA all the time. Sometimes at that point, they even encourage their guy to seek a contract elsewhere. Once market value is determined, they wait the full 7 day's, then match. It's something we should do with Derozan, even if we do want to keep him.
                          The new CBA has a wait time of 3 days.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            In the new CBA it is now 3 days to match for a restricted free agent.
                            Whoops, you beat me to it.

Comment

Cournty Lee - strong D,great shot + 3 , good locker room guy.

Comment

There are tons of solid second unit players on that list. i would be suprised if the Raptors don't give at least a couple of offer sheets this summer.

Any news, on what the front-office thinks about Bayless? Obviously, he won't be getting an extension today..but will they re-sign him in the off-season?
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X