View Poll Results: Who should be #1 on the Raptors' list to sign?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nash

13 33.33%
  • Batum

15 38.46%
  • Mayo

2 5.13%
  • Lin

2 5.13%
  • Lee

1 2.56%
  • Fields

4 10.26%
  • Hinrich

1 2.56%
  • Kidd

0 0%
  • L.Williams

0 0%
  • Green

1 2.56%
Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Makes a lot of sense, actually. Looks fantastic.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Maybe it is time I get my head checked but I don't think this scenario is unreasonable - the biggest unreasonable obstacle in my opinion would be step 1 to follow:

step 1: Calderon gets traded on March 1st as part of the Howard deal or in a separate deal where Gasol and Calderon end up together. Raptors receive a couple of 1st round picks and take back no money for next year. Raptors have $21.5M in cap space heading in to summer.

Step 2: draft best available player (most likely a wing) and Myck Kabongo with one of the 1st round picks in Calderon deal.

step 3a: Raptors receive cap space and sign Chandler to a deal at $8M per year on March 1st - Raptors left with $13.5M in cap space in summer.
    step 3b: Chandler goes to Italy for remainder of year and is RFA in summer at which point Raptors offer $8M per year - Raptors left with $13.5M in cap space in summer.

step 4: sign Batum for $11M - Raptors left with $2.5M.

step 5: re-sign Gray @ $2.5M - Raptors left with $0.

step 6: Call Steve Nash. Sell him on returning to Canada and, more importantly, this roster:

PG: ____________, Kabongo
    SG: Batum, 2012 pick
    SF: Chandler, JJ, Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani, ED/Amir
    C: JV, Gray

step 7: contact Phoenix about sign and trade. Toronto would actually have assets (DeMar, ED/Amir, future picks) that would be better than any contending team could offer. Plus the Suns are reportedly high on Aaron Brooks (PG) and he will be returning next year.

Obviously this is a pipe dream on my part and it is far, far, far from a certainty. HOWEVER, back to my original point, I don't think this is unreasonable. I don't know about you but if it did play out I would be extremely happy.

My virtual-GM'ing is done for the day.
    I'm not sold on bringing in Nash but the rest of that looks fantastic. I think I'd like more than a late first for Calderon, but I wouldn't be angry if that's what we got. This would also open the door for a Derozen trade, which could bring back some value for us. Maybe a package of Derozen and Amir or Derozen and Davis for something big?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, where does Rudy Gay fit in?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I think it's far more reasonable to believe I can put a dog collar on the cute neighbor than of your scenario becoming reality.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Matt, where does Rudy Gay fit in?
    Batum at SG killed that dream.

One must remain dynamic, y'know.

haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Matt, I think it's far more reasonable to believe I can put a dog collar on the cute neighbor than of your scenario becoming reality.

I think you can do anything you set your mind to. If you can believe it, you can do it. Good luck in your pursuit, Hugmenot. A little inspirational music to help you on your way brought to you by Ray Charles and Elmo:

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Feb 28th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Batum continues to thrive at SG in Portland.

Portland is going through some rough times. There appears to be a movement in the locker room against McMillan among a few vets. Obviously Felton is not going to be back and Camby is not looking like a starter.

They have $41M tied up in 7 players (assuming Wallace and Crawford pick up their $11M and $5M player options) - that does not include money for a starting PG, a starting C, or Batum.

Based on what Batum is doing as a starting SG, I would have NO problem paying him $10-$11M per season. The risk, of course, is will he continue once he gets paid.

Post Thanks / Like

hasn't done anything in his career that shows he wouldn't. he's been consistent, minus when he wasn't getting many minutes earlier this season.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Batum continues to thrive at SG in Portland.

Portland is going through some rough times. There appears to be a movement in the locker room against McMillan among a few vets. Obviously Felton is not going to be back and Camby is not looking like a starter.

They have $41M tied up in 7 players (assuming Wallace and Crawford pick up their $11M and $5M player options) - that does not include money for a starting PG, a starting C, or Batum.

Based on what Batum is doing as a starting SG, I would have NO problem paying him $10-$11M per season. The risk, of course, is will he continue once he gets paid.
    Would you bring in Batum to play the 2? If so, does that make DeRozan expendable?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Would you bring in Batum to play the 2? If so, does that make DeRozan expendable?
    I think so. I would look to see what he could return or put him as part of a larger deal.

What strikes me most about Batum (besides the blocks and steals he contributes as well as his exceptionally low OppPER) is his shooting percentages. He is a very efficient scorer and a threat anywhere on the court.

Post Thanks / Like

If Batum maintains his level of play that he's been rolling at over the past couple weeks he'll be looking at $10M/yr. Maybe the Raptors work a S&T with the Blazers? I ask because I don't know how they can just left Batum walk for any price right now. They have strong ownership so I don't see anyone outbidding them. They can make it work if they keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If Batum maintains his level of play that he's been rolling at over the past couple weeks he'll be looking at $10M/yr. Maybe the Raptors work a S&T with the Blazers? I ask because I don't know how they can just left Batum walk for any price right now.
    If he maintained what he has done the last few weeks, I would happily sign Batum for $10M per.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the blazers owner is a notorious cheapskate and monumental asshole
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

if the raps do indeed trade jose before the trade deadline or in the offseason (or amnesty him, i guess) what does everyone think about Eric Maynor? him going down for the season hasn't been quite the blow to the thunder as i thought it was. especially when they drafted raptors republic favorite Reggie Jackson. he's a FA this year and frankly, probably my favorite PG in free agency. he's proven he can start and if we do end up drafting a PG this year, would be a fantastic stop-gap solution for 2-3 years.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    if the raps do indeed trade jose before the trade deadline or in the offseason (or amnesty him, i guess) what does everyone think about Eric Maynor? him going down for the season hasn't been quite the blow to the thunder as i thought it was. especially when they drafted raptors republic favorite Reggie Jackson. he's a FA this year and frankly, probably my favorite PG in free agency. he's proven he can start and if we do end up drafting a PG this year, would be a fantastic stop-gap solution for 2-3 years.
    I would prefer taking a chance with augustin.
    I think he still has quite a bit of potential

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Actually the blazers owner is a notorious cheapskate and monumental asshole
    Yeah, that's why he extended Roy and Aldridge over five years for a combined total $152M...

Portland also has the 5th highest salary total and their owner is only worth close on to $11B.

If he maintained what he has done the last few weeks, I would happily sign Batum for $10M per.
    I don't see how they can demote him to the bench after this.

Post Thanks / Like

Batum is really struggling the last 4 games. The Blazers really are a mess right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Jones: Nothing new trade-wise for Kings. Heard they've inquired about availability of Portland SF Nicolas Batum. Not expecting anything yet. Twitter
    Oh no! Competition this summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batum Considered Franchise Player by Blazers

This from ESPN.com Insider:
    The Blazers are positioning themselves to have tons of cap room this summer and they don't want to do anything to eliminate their space as they try to rebuild around LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum.
    Source: ESPN.com

It goes on to say they're shopping Wallace(documented as hating Toronto, sorry), Felton(being called a cancer and overrated by some Portland media which raises my eyebrow), Camby(too old) and Crawford(no thanks, rumored to be traded to the Wolves).

Post Thanks / Like

Key player/building piece =/= franchise player

Thread Information