Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah, correct and Batum doesn't have much more hype around him than Trevor Ariza had entering free agency. Ariza is making around $7M/yr.

You're suggesting that people are going to offer him a contract comparable to the one Gerald Wallace is finishing right now. Wallace was far more battle tested than Batum when he landed that deal.
    No, I am suggesting Nicolas Batum's expected numbers over a 4 year contract starting next year may be perceived to be close to Danilo Gallinari's expected numbers over a 4 year contract starting next year.

I don't understand why you bring up Gerald Wallace's expiring contract.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      No, I am suggesting Nicolas Batum's expected numbers over a 4 year contract starting next year may be perceived to be close to Danilo Gallinari's expected numbers over a 4 year contract starting next year.

I don't understand why you bring up Gerald Wallace's expiring contract.
      Unless I missed something you mentioned Gallinari just now. I read a lot of people criticize Gallinari's contract as being too much when it was signed...

Why would I mention Gerald Wallace? Oh, I don't know, maybe because he was 24 when he signed his last contract and Batum is 23. Maybe because they play the same position. Maybe because Wallace was posting borderline all-star numbers prior to signing his deal with Charlotte worth around $9.5M/yr and Batum is not.

Comment

Unless I missed something you mentioned Gallinari just now. I read a lot of people criticize Gallinari's contract as being too much when it was signed...

Why would I mention Gerald Wallace? Oh, I don't know, maybe because he was 24 when he signed his last contract and Batum is 23. Maybe because they play the same position. Maybe because Wallace was posting borderline all-star numbers prior to signing his deal with Charlotte worth around $9.5M/yr and Batum is not.
        You believe contracts signed 4 years ago are relevant; I don't.

We'll see how much Batum is offered next Summer. My guess is 4 years for $35-42 millions. What's yours?

Comment

We'll see how much Batum is offered next Summer. My guess is 4 years for $35-42 millions. What's yours?
          I think that range makes sense for me too. Gallinari's contract is the barometer. Batum will probably get close to $9M a year or more depending on if he creates a bidding war. And if Bryan is interested he'll over pay.

I don't think its worth it, but it's what he'll get. Potential can be costly. Just look at Amir's contract, or even Bargnani's when it was first signed.

Comment

• How come Beasley isn't getting any consideration?
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• 'Cause he is tough to coach? Why is Minny giving up on him...with a coach like Adelman?

Comment

It's unfortunate you're missing the point here. Contracts five years ago were signed under the old CBA. The old CBA included a luxury tax far less severe than the tax teams will see under the new CBA in the years to come. What that means is that teams will be inclined to spend a little less or more responsibly under the new CBA. What that means is you shouldn't expect to see players getting signed for more under the new CBA in comparison to the old CBA. It's not like the salary cap is much different than 2007. The salary cap this year was $58M, the salary cap in 2007 was $55M. The salary cap in 2012 could drop for all we know. In fact I would wager it certainly won't increase after a reduced season and all the lost opportunity. Do you understand now?

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  How come Beasley isn't getting any consideration?

Drugs is a good place to start when answering why not "SupercoolBeas"?
                  Last edited by Apollo; Fri Feb 17, 2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: .

Comment

It's unfortunate you're missing the point here. Contracts five years ago were signed under the old CBA. The old CBA included a luxury tax far less severe than the tax teams will see under the new CBA in the years to come. What that means is that teams will be inclined to spend a little less or more responsibly under the new CBA. What that means is you shouldn't expect to see players getting signed for more under the new CBA in comparison to the old CBA. It's not like the Salary cap is much different than 2007. The salary cap this year was $58M, the salary cap in 2007 was $55M. The salary cap in 2012 could drop for all we know. In fact I would wager it certainly won't increase after a reduced season and all the lost opportunity. Do you understand now?
                    The cap was held status quo for 2011-12 and 2012-13 at the $58M. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2013-14.

Comment

• Forgetting the issue of the 2008 draft and what Batum might have said, I never did get much feedback on this question:

Do you think Batum could play SG?

To be honest, I have not watched a lot of him. Anyone out there have an opinion based on knowledge or familiarity of his game?

Hypothetically speaking, if Barnes was drafted and Batum played SG, the starting lineup would be extremely skilled and 4 of 5 positions would be a major threat from deep. Lanes would be more clear than the 407 when it first open. You would not be able to cheat on the JV pick and roll because there would be a wide open look from 3 for three other players.
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Feb 17, 2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

It's unfortunate you're missing the point here. Contracts five years ago were signed under the old CBA. The old CBA included a luxury tax far less severe than the tax teams will see under the new CBA in the years to come. What that means is that teams will be inclined to spend a little less or more responsibly under the new CBA. What that means is you shouldn't expect to see players getting signed for more under the new CBA in comparison to the old CBA. It's not like the salary cap is much different than 2007. The salary cap this year was $58M, the salary cap in 2007 was $55M. The salary cap in 2012 could drop for all we know. In fact I would wager it certainly won't increase after a reduced season and all the lost opportunity. Do you understand now?
                        I will repeat the question.

My guess is 4 years for $35-42 millions. What's yours?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          'Cause he is tough to coach? Why is Minny giving up on him...with a coach like Adelman?
                          Their giving up on him cause they have Derrick Williams. Their both to much a like skill set wise. He honestly way too talented not to even get a look at. If one coach can coach him it woukd Casey.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• What's with you and Barnes all of a sudden, Matt?
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              What's with you and Barnes all of a sudden, Matt?
                              I was turned off him for a bit but now I'm starting to get turned on again. The Raps are going to need a shooter with JV rolling to the bucket and if DeMar is ever to get a driving lane.

They are on TSN or TSN2 tomorrow versus Clemson. I'll be checking it out.

Comment

• Just wondering. Think he'll end up better than Miller or MKG?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X