View Poll Results: Who should be #1 on the Raptors' list to sign?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nash

13 33.33%
  • Batum

15 38.46%
  • Mayo

2 5.13%
  • Lin

2 5.13%
  • Lee

1 2.56%
  • Fields

4 10.26%
  • Hinrich

1 2.56%
  • Kidd

0 0%
  • L.Williams

0 0%
  • Green

1 2.56%
Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Neither Dragic or Bayless is the answer. Guys, seriously, the Raptors have money to spend and they can do better than this. Or they can wait as they currently have a starting PG after all.
    It could be interesting to do a poll with various combinations of Calderon, Bayless, Nash, Dragic and Kendall Marshall as the Raptors' 2 PGs.

Personally, I don't think Bayless or Dragic are long-term starters. If Nash (starter) and Marshall (backup) are unatainable, then I would like to keep Calderon as the starter, with my preference being Dragic over Bayless as the backup.

My ideal situation would be trading Calderon for another lottery pick (likely with other players/picks), signing Nash for 2-3 seasons and drafting Marshall as Nash's backup (and future starter).

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk Hinrich is better than both those guys. I've been hoping for him to join the Raptors since he was a Jayhawk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hinrich is better than Nash?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyways, as far as PG goes I'd rather a. throw a ton of money at A. Nash, B. a guy like Jrue Holliday and hope Philly can't match or if we end up picking in the 6-10 range take Marshall. He could learn behind Jose for a year (or till the deadline?) and then takeover.

I agree with Apollo though, throwing cash at the likes of Bayless or Dragic seems pointless. Fine players, sure, but if I'm making deals id rather upgrade the swing positions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Hinrich is better than Nash?
    No, Hinrich is better than Dragic and Bayless.

Nash is too old. What's the point in adding him and shooting up the standings before the team is ready to maintain that sort of level? I'm a Nash fan and it's always hard for me to keep coming back to the conclusion that he's not a good fit for the Raptors but I always reach that conclusion every time I revisit the idea...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nash is too old. What's the point in adding him and shooting up the standings before the team is ready to maintain that sort of level? I'm a Nash fan and it's always hard for me to keep coming back to the conclusion that he's not a good fit for the Raptors but I always reach that conclusion every time I revisit the idea...
    I think the hope is that while we shoot up the standings with Nash, that high level of competitiveness is maintained with whoever Nash's heir is, whether it's Kendall Marshall, or any other young PG) once Nash calls it quits....presumably in 2-3 years.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Why not have a slow but steady rise while adding more pieces to the mix? For all the support in here towards the Raptors tanking I find it odd how many people jump on the instant gratification Nash bandwagon.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably because Nash represents the best of both worlds. You can win now, while still building for the future.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any move to get Nash would have to have a PG waiting on deck. If the goal is to hit the ground running next year, Nash would help achieve that. Same concept as this, except the Raps would have more pieces in place - theoretically:

Nene

Nene’s biggest influence has been on the Wizards’ second year player, Kevin Seraphin.

“It’s a great impact because they play the same position,” said John Wall. “Just learning how to face up like Nene, pass out of the post and all those little things you can use a veteran like him to pick his brain apart.”

“He has Nene helping him every day, to sit there and talk and relate,” said Chris Singleton. “He is picking up fast. He has the skills, it is just everyone can see them now.”

Seraphin has picked up just how much a veteran like Nene can help him and is absorbing as much knowledge as he can from his new mentor. The early results are encouraging.

“He is definitely helping me more because I am a big man like him,” said Seraphin. “They compare me to him. When he came here he told me, “I will help you, I will do the best I can. Now you will listen and I will try to teach you.” He is trying to help me and I appreciate it.

“The game goes really slow for him. He can see everything. Also, he creates space. He is one of those players that can create double teams and create space for you. I love to play with him because everybody focuses on him so often that he gets people open. I can progress like that.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/did-washin...deadline-trade
    I am also a fan of Hinrich but he is getting long in the tooth as well.

Post Thanks / Like

+Hinrich is six years younger. If they signed Hinrich they'd have a long term veteran presence coming off the bench who plays good defense and who has the versatility to play the 2. Hinrich doesn't depend of amazing athletics to play his solid two way game. I think he can last in the league for another five or six seasons.

You know, it seems like only yesterday I was watching this guy in the tournament... Try nearly ten years ago... Wow.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Nene’s biggest influence has been on the Wizards’ second year player, Kevin Seraphin.

“It’s a great impact because they play the same position,” said John Wall. “Just learning how to face up like Nene, pass out of the post and all those little things you can use a veteran like him to pick his brain apart.”

“He has Nene helping him every day, to sit there and talk and relate,” said Chris Singleton. “He is picking up fast. He has the skills, it is just everyone can see them now.”

Seraphin has picked up just how much a veteran like Nene can help him and is absorbing as much knowledge as he can from his new mentor. The early results are encouraging.

“He is definitely helping me more because I am a big man like him,” said Seraphin. “They compare me to him. When he came here he told me, “I will help you, I will do the best I can. Now you will listen and I will try to teach you.” He is trying to help me and I appreciate it.

“The game goes really slow for him. He can see everything. Also, he creates space. He is one of those players that can create double teams and create space for you. I love to play with him because everybody focuses on him so often that he gets people open. I can progress like that.”
    ==================================

When I read this passage ai was reminded of someone who posted in another thread that they were tired of hearing about mentoring; that it was bulls**t; that player were born with skills and it was up to them and them alone to get better, someone else couldn't help them...or words to that effect. Seraphin's comments seem more accurate to me.

However, I also believe not everyone is good at "mentoring." I would say Jose has had zero influence on Bayless. Of course, Bayless might have no respect for how Jose leads the offence.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Because Bayless see's jose as a teammate not a mentor.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Because Bayless see's jose as a teammate not a mentor.
    Not someone who has anything to show that he needs to see. I believe you are right.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how 'bout Iguodala?

Though his stats are diminishing and his knees are a bit wonky, he's always been a raps fan favorite. On the other hand, he might not be a philly fan favorite for long.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ke_McNabb.html

That might be the type of salary that a team is looking to get rid of that fits in our cap space. But would we want it?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Though his stats are diminishing and his knees are a bit wonky, he's always been a raps fan favorite. On the other hand, he might not be a philly fan favorite for long.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ke_McNabb.html

That might be the type of salary that a team is looking to get rid of that fits in our cap space. But would we want it?
    Wow. Some of the comments in that link are just mean.

AI 2-3 years ago would have been great. I wouldn't go after him now. His game is more built on his athletic abilities and given his age and when the current group are hitting their peak, he'll be well past.

I'd take a pass on AI.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wow. Some of the comments in that link are just mean.

AI 2-3 years ago would have been great. I wouldn't go after him now. His game is more built on his athletic abilities and given his age and when the current group are hitting their peak, he'll be well past.

I'd take a pass on AI.
    He is a very sound defensive player. I think he doesn't solely rely on his athleticism and wouldn't mind to have him here .... for less money.

I also don't mind him publicly calling out a teammate who continues to refuse to spend a lot of energy on the defensive end, making it almost impossible for the team to win in the play-offs and making AI's job an almost futile one. As Casey always says: "Effort on D or gtfo."

Post Thanks / Like

Haha yeah I remember him saying that at the presser

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Haha yeah I remember him saying that at the presser
    I like him but pass at this time.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, I know this is total speculation, but let's say this is our roster after the draft, some trades and FA signing.

Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
    Okafor/Davis
    Barnes/Johnson
    DeRozan/Forbes/Weems
    Harris/Dragic/Rookie

To complete that roster, would you rather bring back Reggie Evans or bring in Andrei Kirilenko?

Thanks y'all.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Hi guys, I know this is total speculation, but let's say this is our roster after the draft, some trades and FA signing.

Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
    Okafor/Davis
    Barnes/Johnson
    DeRozan/Forbes/Weems
    Harris/Dragic/Rookie

To complete that roster, would you rather bring back Reggie Evans or bring in Andrei Kirilenko?

Thanks y'all.
    did we trade bargs for okafor?
    and calderon for harris?

Thread Information