View Poll Results: Who should be #1 on the Raptors' list to sign?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nash

13 33.33%
  • Batum

15 38.46%
  • Mayo

2 5.13%
  • Lin

2 5.13%
  • Lee

1 2.56%
  • Fields

4 10.26%
  • Hinrich

1 2.56%
  • Kidd

0 0%
  • L.Williams

0 0%
  • Green

1 2.56%
Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2012

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    The technique is called 'overpaying'. I hope he doesn't resort to that.
    lol no

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wonder what Brotherston's sources are (other than the Ingram piece referenced above).
    His Source, is also what he shits out of.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll pass on Dragic if those comments about toronto are true. Its not worth bringing in a player who is not interested by overpaying him (unless it is a franchise player with a big ego). I would rather keep Bayless and Uzoh here as 2nd and 3rd to Calderon.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, the thoughts of Dragic starting, and Calderon backing him up are pretty intriguing. That is, assuming Dragic's current play isn't a direct result of being in a contract year.

Like others have mentioned, there is legit fear of Colangelo opening his wallet based on "hope", rather than proven results.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Word is the market for Batum is going to be 10-11 milli per and the spurs are going to go hard.

I like Batum but I think that's a little steep, personally. That said, if the spurs do sign him (keep in mind he always wanted to play there, especially with Parker) what happens with Kawhi? He's been pretty fantastic as a rookie. Who knows, he could be our 3 after all.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for Kemba or Kawhi last summer.

But even if San Antonio signs Batum, wouldn't it be in their best interest to keep Kawhi on the bench (especially if Batum can play SG as Manu's career winds down)?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

That's certainly true. I forgot to ask how long they have S-Jax for?

Post Thanks / Like

After Big Val or Kanter i wanted Kawhi so you'll have to excuse my boner for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    That's certainly true. I forgot to ask how long they have S-Jax for?
    S-Jax has 1-year at $10 million left.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...32&feedID=5212

Not sure how San Antonio signs Batum. Sign and trade? Renounce Duncan on a winky-winky and sign him on an exception or minimum contract? Will Duncan retire?

The Trail Blazers had a chance to extend Batum's deal at the Jan. 25 deadline, however Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye and Trail Blazers management couldn't come to terms on a deal.

Negotiations got so heated that it prompted this response from Batum's agent: "When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance."

Back then, Batum's agent was demanding less than what he'll seek for his client this time around. Also, those talks were before Batum was inserted into the starting lineup and became easily the second best player on the team.

The Trail Blazers took a gamble, and it appears that Batum will come out on top when it's all said and done.

Now the question will be, are the Trail Blazers willing to spend that much on Batum?

The other question is, can the Trail Blazers afford not to spend that much money on Batum?

With the way this season has played out, letting go of one of your most likable players can't be a good thing going forward.

What would you do?
    Portland really dropped the ball. They were seeking less than $10-11M i.e. they were seeking less than Gallinari money.

Post Thanks / Like

Portland really dropped the ball. They were seeking less than $10-11M i.e. they were seeking less than Gallinari money.
    It's funny you posted this, because I had been thinking that Batum would be using Gallinari as his benchmark. They play same position, both young, lots of upside, great scorers, good all-around players. I think Portland matches just about any offer, especially if it's at/below Gallinari money.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way Colangelo should be giving Batum 10-11 million per. If he does, Raptors fans should revolt. Batum is a nice player and all, but not 10-11 million a season nice. Let some other team fork out that kind of dough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's funny you posted this, because I had been thinking that Batum would be using Gallinari as his benchmark. They play same position, both young, lots of upside, great scorers, good all-around players. I think Portland matches just about any offer, especially if it's at/below Gallinari money.
    Someone is going to pay that based on the potential he's shown. He could be a 20PPG player next year while filling up other cats and playing good defense. He's on the verge of a breakout campaign. If Colangelo doesn't go after him there will be threads in here criticizing Colangelo for not even being able to recognize Batum's potential. My bet is they're out there competing against the Spurs for Batum's services. The Raptors can offer more money.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batum for 10 million?

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...32&feedID=5212

Do we offer 10 and see what happens?

I say yes

Post Thanks / Like

Batum is restricted is he not? The Blazers have cap space. So unless the number is really outlandish, I really expect Portland to match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Someone is going to pay that based on the potential he's shown. He could be a 20PPG player next year while filling up other cats and playing good defense. He's on the verge of a breakout campaign. If Colangelo doesn't go after him there will be threads in here criticizing Colangelo for not even being able to recognize Batum's potential. My bet is they're out there competing against the Spurs for Batum's services. The Raptors can offer more money.
    Not when the Raptors take on Brand to get Holiday.

(LOL - I giggled the whole time typing that.)

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way Colangelo should be giving Batum 10-11 million per. If he does, Raptors fans should revolt. Batum is a nice player and all, but not 10-11 million a season nice. Let some other team fork out that kind of dough.
    He won't be 24 until December. Still young and has shown flashes of absolute brilliance.

I guess it comes down to if you think he is capable of performing his February averages over a whole season. If he can, he is earning his $10M.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He won't be 24 until December. Still young and has shown flashes of absolute brilliance.

I guess it comes down to if you think he is capable of performing his February averages over a whole season. If he can, he is earning his $10M.
    Exactly. I mean, do we overpay for promise/potential? What if he never does reach that potential? It's very slippery when you shell out for potential. I still have horrible vivid flashbacks of Yogi Stewart.

Batum is a very intriguing player, I will admit that, but 11 million a season really makes me shudder.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. I mean, do we overpay for promise/potential? What if he never does reach that potential? It's very slippery when you shell out for potential. I still have horrible vivid flashbacks of Yogi Stewart.

Batum is a very intriguing player, I will admit that, but 11 million a season really makes me shudder.
    It is a dangerous game indeed.

Apollo's post is 'BANG ON!' if he has an incredible year next season, look for all the hindsight, arm chair GM's to be saying what they coulda, woulda, and shoulda done..... granted those same people will be talking how bad of a decision it was if he sh!ts the bed, too - so whatever.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kawhi is going to be a very good player. Any player out of Popovich's camp is worth it.

Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread Information