No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland really dropped the ball. They were seeking less than $10-11M i.e. they were seeking less than Gallinari money.
    It's funny you posted this, because I had been thinking that Batum would be using Gallinari as his benchmark. They play same position, both young, lots of upside, great scorers, good all-around players. I think Portland matches just about any offer, especially if it's at/below Gallinari money.

Comment

• There's no way Colangelo should be giving Batum 10-11 million per. If he does, Raptors fans should revolt. Batum is a nice player and all, but not 10-11 million a season nice. Let some other team fork out that kind of dough.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        It's funny you posted this, because I had been thinking that Batum would be using Gallinari as his benchmark. They play same position, both young, lots of upside, great scorers, good all-around players. I think Portland matches just about any offer, especially if it's at/below Gallinari money.
        Someone is going to pay that based on the potential he's shown. He could be a 20PPG player next year while filling up other cats and playing good defense. He's on the verge of a breakout campaign. If Colangelo doesn't go after him there will be threads in here criticizing Colangelo for not even being able to recognize Batum's potential. My bet is they're out there competing against the Spurs for Batum's services. The Raptors can offer more money.

Comment

• Batum for 10 million?

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...32&feedID=5212

Do we offer 10 and see what happens?

I say yes
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Batum is restricted is he not? The Blazers have cap space. So unless the number is really outlandish, I really expect Portland to match.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Someone is going to pay that based on the potential he's shown. He could be a 20PPG player next year while filling up other cats and playing good defense. He's on the verge of a breakout campaign. If Colangelo doesn't go after him there will be threads in here criticizing Colangelo for not even being able to recognize Batum's potential. My bet is they're out there competing against the Spurs for Batum's services. The Raptors can offer more money.
              Not when the Raptors take on Brand to get Holiday.

(LOL - I giggled the whole time typing that.)

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                There's no way Colangelo should be giving Batum 10-11 million per. If he does, Raptors fans should revolt. Batum is a nice player and all, but not 10-11 million a season nice. Let some other team fork out that kind of dough.
                He won't be 24 until December. Still young and has shown flashes of absolute brilliance.

I guess it comes down to if you think he is capable of performing his February averages over a whole season. If he can, he is earning his $10M.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  He won't be 24 until December. Still young and has shown flashes of absolute brilliance.

I guess it comes down to if you think he is capable of performing his February averages over a whole season. If he can, he is earning his $10M.
                  Exactly. I mean, do we overpay for promise/potential? What if he never does reach that potential? It's very slippery when you shell out for potential. I still have horrible vivid flashbacks of Yogi Stewart.

Batum is a very intriguing player, I will admit that, but 11 million a season really makes me shudder.

Comment

Exactly. I mean, do we overpay for promise/potential? What if he never does reach that potential? It's very slippery when you shell out for potential. I still have horrible vivid flashbacks of Yogi Stewart.

Batum is a very intriguing player, I will admit that, but 11 million a season really makes me shudder.
                    It is a dangerous game indeed.

Apollo's post is 'BANG ON!' if he has an incredible year next season, look for all the hindsight, arm chair GM's to be saying what they coulda, woulda, and shoulda done..... granted those same people will be talking how bad of a decision it was if he sh!ts the bed, too - so whatever.

Comment

• Kawhi is going to be a very good player. Any player out of Popovich's camp is worth it.

Comment

This is one you take the gamble on Mango. You want to know a sure fire sign that he's got legit big game besides how he's been playing to the naked eye? The Spurs are readying for a run at him this off-season.

Comment

This is one you take the gamble on Mango. You want to know a sure fire sign that he's got legit big game besides how he's been playing to the naked eye? The Spurs are readying for a run at him this off-season.
                          Do you ever wonder if the Spurs put rumours out there that they'd be interested in someone so that the competition would blow money - and subsequently cap space - on players?

But yeah, if the Spurs are legitmately looking at him, I guess you gotta kick some tires and exact some due dilligence on him. However, if Batum is restricted, it's gonna take a real whopper of an offer (like in excess of 11-12 million) for Portland not to match.

Comment

Do you ever wonder if the Spurs put rumours out there that they'd be interested in someone so that the competition would blow money - and subsequently cap space - on players?
                            Are the Spurs documented in the past for playing these sorts of games? I don't think they can jack his price up unless they actually place a competitive offer. Most teams with cap space aren't even a threat to the Spurs so I think the rumor is legit. Just like the rumor of them wanting JV badly last draft was legit. They're thinking about the next phase seeing as Duncan is in his final seasons in the league.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            But yeah, if the Spurs are legitmately looking at him, I guess you gotta kick some tires and exact some due dilligence on him. However, if Batum is restricted, it's gonna take a real whopper of an offer (like in excess of 11-12 million) for Portland not to match.
                            Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they threaten to sign him but don't really want to do so. Maybe they play this tactic to secure something via a S&T such as DeRozan and Davis: some high talent, low cost players.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they threaten to sign him but don't really want to do so. Maybe they play this tactic to secure something via a S&T such as DeRozan and Davis: some high talent, low cost players.
                              Good point. I'd be open to doing an S & T like that.

Comment

• The Spurs want him because Parker is pushing for it, just like he managed to convince them to sign Diaw. These guys have played together every summer for years in National team, they developped chemistry and they get on so well that it would make a lot of sense for a team that values team spirit above individuals.

Comment

Working...
                                X