Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batum:

“If I can not find a better situation, I’ll stay in Portland but if I find better place elsewhere, I would go. The market will open on July 1, so I really have time to take my time to watch all this. I have 10 teams in mind, but I’ll see.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nicolas-ba...sidering-spurs

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Batum:

Hmmmm, I wonder if Toronto made his short list...

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Hmmmm, I wonder if Toronto made his short list...
        There is a 1 in 3 chance!

Comment

• "Under the Cap Teams

These teams have a bit of wiggle room under the cap, some more (Indiana) than others (Charlotte). One thing to note is that teams must spend 85% of the cap otherwise they must distribute the difference to their players. For this season that amount is $49,337,400, meaning both the Sacramento Kings need to do something to take on salary. (Note: Indiana does not because they used their Amnesty Waiver on James Posey’s $7.6 million. That amount, though it does not count on their cap for tax purposes, does count towards the 85% spending floor and pushes Indy out of the area where they HAVE to take on salary.) Well, they don’t HAVE to; if they like their roster and don’t want to jeopardize their cap standing for this summer they could simply do nothing and write checks at the end of the year.

Charlotte Bobcats
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.9 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $43.0 million
          Traded Player Exceptions: 2 – $3.5 million (Shaun Livingston), $1.5 million (Gerald Wallace)

Utah Jazz
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.8 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $52.6 million
          Traded Player Exceptions: 2 – $10.9 million (Mehmet Okur), $1.8 million (Deron Williams)

Houston Rockets
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.0 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $40.8 million
          Traded Player Exceptions: None

Minnesota Timberwolves
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.8 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $59.6 million

Golden State Warriors
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.5 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $48.1 million

Washington Wizards
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $55.9 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $45.6 million

Toronto Raptors
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $53.7 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $41.9 million

Cleveland Cavaliers
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $51.2 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $31.5 million

Sacramento Kings
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $49.0 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $44.1 million

Indiana Pacers
          2011-12 Cap Figure: $44.0 million
          2012-13 Cap Figure: $36.3 million
          Traded Player Exceptions: None"

from hoopsworld
          http://www.hoopsworld.com/whose-got-cap-space

my guess he is talking the teams who have the money to pay.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            "Under the Cap Teams

These teams have a bit of wiggle room under the cap, some more (Indiana) than others (Charlotte). One thing to note is that teams must spend 85% of the cap otherwise they must distribute the difference to their players. For this season that amount is $49,337,400, meaning both the Sacramento Kings need to do something to take on salary. (Note: Indiana does not because they used their Amnesty Waiver on James Posey’s $7.6 million. That amount, though it does not count on their cap for tax purposes, does count towards the 85% spending floor and pushes Indy out of the area where they HAVE to take on salary.) Well, they don’t HAVE to; if they like their roster and don’t want to jeopardize their cap standing for this summer they could simply do nothing and write checks at the end of the year.

Charlotte Bobcats
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.9 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $43.0 million
            Traded Player Exceptions: 2 – $3.5 million (Shaun Livingston), $1.5 million (Gerald Wallace)

Utah Jazz
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.8 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $52.6 million
            Traded Player Exceptions: 2 – $10.9 million (Mehmet Okur), $1.8 million (Deron Williams)

Houston Rockets
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.0 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $40.8 million

Minnesota Timberwolves
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.8 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $59.6 million

Golden State Warriors
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.5 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $48.1 million

Washington Wizards
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $55.9 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $45.6 million

Toronto Raptors
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $53.7 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $41.9 million

Cleveland Cavaliers
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $51.2 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $31.5 million

Sacramento Kings
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $49.0 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $44.1 million

Indiana Pacers
            2011-12 Cap Figure: $44.0 million
            2012-13 Cap Figure: $36.3 million
            Traded Player Exceptions: None"

from hoopsworld
            http://www.hoopsworld.com/whose-got-cap-space

my guess he is talking the teams who have the money to pay.

This is an old article from February. But besides that, be careful with the article from HoopsWorld.com when they talk money - unless it is Larry Coon. For people paid to write about this sh!t, many of them disregard the basics.

The figures above for example do not take in to account draft picks or cap holds on free agents.

Comment

• Ya, they think they get paid to write opinions, not facts.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• A surprising possible addition to the free agent pool

Redick's view

The final year of J.J. Redick's contract is fully unguaranteed, and if the team waives him before July 7, it won't owe him any more money.

Asked if he's received an indication what the team plans to do, Redick answered, "No, and I think I'm down the totem pole. Obviously, the Magic have a decision to make about my contract. It's pretty much out of my hands. I think I've done everything I can do at this point."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...o-alex-martins
                If Redick was available, I'd be interested in him.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  If Redick was available, I'd be interested in him.
                  His a born shooter like Casey wants. I'm iffy about him defensively though. We don't have D12 too clean up mistakes.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    His a born shooter like Casey wants. I'm iffy about him defensively though. We don't have D12 too clean up mistakes.
                    I was under the impression he is a good defensive player. When he was originally drafted he did not play due to his D. SVG was a real hard ass on him. He has played in recent years much more because he made such an improvement and dedication to the defensive end.

Actually, I wanted to make sure my memories were correct with the above and found this:

Ryan Anderson is having a breakout year, and Dwight Howard is still Dwight Howard — the NBA's most dominant big man. But one of the best stories for the Orlando Magic this season has been the play of J.J. Redick., the sixth-year guard from Duke who is having his best year as a pro.

It didn't always look like Redick was going be a solid NBA player after the Magic drafted him with the No. 11 pick in the 2006 draft. Coming out of Duke as the ACC's all-time leading scorer and college basketball's best all-time three-point shooter, Redick's college credentials did not instantly translate to the NBA's style of play.

I recall watching Redick's first practices with the Magic in his rookie season. Physically, he was over-matched, his slight body ping-ponging around the practice court against the likes of veteran guards Keith Bogans and Keyon Dooling. That first season, Redick played in just 42 games, mostly mop up duty under head coach Brian Hill.

Season two, Redick's first under head coach Stan Van Gundy, wasn't much different. Redick played in even fewer games (34), seeing even fewer minutes than he did in his rookie season.

It was in his third NBA season that Redick's career took a major turn. An intense off-season workout schedule had begun to transform his body.
                    No longer a human pinball in games and practices, Redick was now beginning to hold his own physically on the court. In February 2009, the Magic traded Bogans, opening up more consistent minutes for Redick.

In the '09 playoffs, Redick really earned his NBA stripes. Plugged into the starting lineup due to an injury to rookie guard Courtney Lee — Lee's face had an unfortunate encounter with Howard's elbow in the first round against Philadelphia — Redick held his own against All-Star Ray Allen and the rough and tumble Boston Celtics.

It was there that Redick earned Van Gundy's trust. Though Redick's offensive numbers weren't stellar during Orlando's seven-game win over the Celtics — he averaged just 6.3 points on 31.7 percent shooting — he suffocated Allen on defense, holding him to just 13.1 points per game on 34.4 percent shooting and just 19 percent from 3-point range.

Redick returned to the bench after Lee returned to the lineup, but in the end, his hard work against Allen and the Celtics paid off. Redick played in all 82 regular season games the following year, becoming a regular in Van Gundy's rotation.

Before the start of last year, Redick, then a restricted free agent, signed a lucrative three-year deal with the Magic after agreeing to an offer sheet from the Chicago Bulls, and today, he is one of his coach's most trusted players.

"J.J. is always prepared. He always plays at a very high energy level." Van Gundy says. "You always know what you're going to get, and for a coach, that's a great feeling."

If you take a look back at the 2006 college draft, you'll find is that the Magic came out better than almost every team in the NBA when they selected Redick with the 11th overall pick.

Four players taken ahead of Redick (Adam Morrison No. 3, Brandon Roy; No. 6, Patrick O'Bryant; No. 9 and Mouhamed Sene No. 10) are no longer in the league. Out of 30 first-round picks, just 14 are still NBA players. And the list of players who have had better careers than Redick — one that includes Andrea Bargnani (No. 1), LaMarcus Aldridge (No. 2), Rudy Gay (No. 8), Rajon Rondo (No. 21), Kyle Lowry (No. 24) and Paul Millsap (No. 47) — is short.

It's safe to say that Redick, who is averaging career highs in points (11.1), rebounds (2.2) and assists (2.2), is second in the league in free throw shooting (95 percent), and 10th in 3-point shooting (44.5 percent), was a steal at No. 11. Years of hard work and perseverance have paid off for the former collegiate All-American.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/03/0...blockID=678334
                    I think the fact that JJ is one of SVG's 'boys' (for lack of a better term) might seal his fate with the option on his contract. I think the chances of SVG returning are somewhere between zilch and nada.

Comment

• I think Redick would be great. He was that guy who hit the dagger corner 3 to seal the Magic win @ ACC. He got a reality check early in his career, and to his credit, he transformed his game and his body to suit the NBA demands.

Hard worker, 3 point sniper, quick (surprisingly, like he's running on Red Bull), low maintenance.

Just throwing in other names - to see what the perception is on these guys.
                      - Ian Mahinmi, Kenyon Martin, Ivan Johnson
                      - Jodie Meeks, James Anderson, C.J. Miles
                      - Patty Mills, Delonte West, George Hill
                      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• james anderson is intriguing

Comment

• Reddick is another Kapono.

Which he had a few decent years here. So, I'm not against it.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                            Reddick is another Kapono.

I'm not huge on Reddick, but he seems to be a much more athletic, well rounded player than Kapono ever was. He also seems to be a much better player defensively. I wouldn't mind Reddick, at the right price.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                              Reddick is another Kapono.

If Kapono played defense he would probably still be here
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I like Ivan Johnson and George Hill from your short list there. If we have to give up a lot of assets to land a big fish, Ivan Johnson would be great to bring in.
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X