Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Alright, well he's a good defensive player who gives great effort. How many of them can you count on the Raptors right now? If you get past three fingers I will be totally shocked.
    I'll give you James Johnson, Amir Johnson, Alan Anderson, Jerryd Bayless. Past three fingers my friend

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying JJ Redick is a bad player, he's a very good pro in fact, but I don't believe down the road, he will be an upgrade to Demar Derozan. Defensively from what I've seen, I don't get much "look at the great defense" statements coming out of my mouth.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Arguably none of those guys are a better defender than Reddick. You don't bring Reddick in to be your staring SG. You bring Reddick in to come off the bench, produce on offense and to help maintain your perimeter defense. Or in other words, you bring him here to do what he's been doing in Orlando.

Comment

• J.J. Redick (now) is quick enough and smart enough to hold his own against other players. We couldn't say this about him when he first started in the league.

He's not a starter, but a very effective role player who knows his role. He's a shooter, whether it is spot up or coming off screens, and he has improved dramatically body wise (he's in better shape than 70% of current NBA players).

For the right price, he's definitely an addition to the Raptors.

My only concern, however, is: Will he sustain this type of effort in-game and in preparation once he gets that next contract ? He's turning 28 in June, which means that he is in his prime. This will be the last significant contract he signs (assuming it would be for 4 years). A lot of NBA players' determination lessen once they get paid.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
          J.J. Redick (now) is quick enough and smart enough to hold his own against other players. We couldn't say this about him when he first started in the league.

He's not a starter, but a very effective role player who knows his role. He's a shooter, whether it is spot up or coming off screens, and he has improved dramatically body wise (he's in better shape than 70% of current NBA players).

For the right price, he's definitely an addition to the Raptors.

My only concern, however, is: Will he sustain this type of effort in-game and in preparation once he gets that next contract ? He's turning 28 in June, which means that he is in his prime. This will be the last significant contract he signs (assuming it would be for 4 years). A lot of NBA players' determination lessen once they get paid.
          not worried about reddicks work ethic. he took it pretty rough out of college. he plays the right way all the time now. he was pretty big on himself after the records at duke but svg broke him and molded him into a much more complete player.

Comment

What if Nash wants to play here and the Suns want to facilitate a S&T (something Nash might care about because he's such a standup guy) and they're willing to take Calderon in the trade under the condition that the Raptors also must take Childress with Nash?
            No thank you. *click*

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Well, there are differences from being a tremendous effort player to being a very good defender.
              I am of the opinion Redick has evolved in to a very good defensive player. He never would have got his ass off the bench under SVG without being a good defender.

If you disagree, so be it. But I'm rolling with Stan Van Gundy on this one.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                No thank you. *click*
                So you'd take Reddick, but not Childress?

For a wing, Childress' FG% is very, very solid. And he's a plus defender. I'd take Childress 10 times out of 10.

Comment

• childress has an ugly jumpshot tho

Comment

Arguably none of those guys are a better defender than Reddick. You don't bring Reddick in to be your staring SG. You bring Reddick in to come off the bench, produce on offense and to help maintain your perimeter defense. Or in other words, you bring him here to do what he's been doing in Orlando.
                    I'd be curious to hear those arguments... haha

Reddick is a capable defender, yes. But average at the very best.

JJ and Amir I'd say are well above average defenders, at worst.
                    And Bayless and Anderson being far more capable than your average player.
                    All of this, of course, is simply my opinion.

I'd be fine with acquiring Reddick. But I don't think we should disillusion ourselves with expectations of him coming in and being anything more than what he is. A capable backup SG.
                    Last edited by Joey; Sun May 13, 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Linsanity hitting Toronto?

The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back- load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer. New York Daily News
                      http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
                      Please no. Personally if we don't get Nash than with don't need to change up are Point Guard position
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i like lin and think he's certainly better than what 95% of the boarders here think but i have no desire to have him start
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          So you'd take Reddick, but not Childress?

For a wing, Childress' FG% is very, very solid. And he's a plus defender. I'd take Childress 10 times out of 10.
                          The Childress who played in Atlanta? Absolutely.

This guy who came back from Greece? No way.

He only manged to play 34 games this year for Phoenix, playing 14 minutes, averaging 2.9 points, and shooting 16.9% from 3. He is also going to be 29 next season. The final nail in the coffin is 3 years and $21M left on his contract.

Redick is a solid rotational player who excels in 3 point shooting and is a good defender.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            Not saying you can't be both, but there are players who have one or the other. Like Redick himself. Not a great defensive player, but a great effort player.
                            defense is EFFORT with a half a brain in your head
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• a back court of Nash and Reddick...both shoot ridiculous percentages.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• ^ supply, v price; Nelson to hit FA 2012

Jameer Nelson can, and likely will, opt-out of the final year of his contract. Sources close to the situation say that Nelson wants to test free agency and sign a long-term deal that gives him some security going forward. Nelson doesn’t want to be dealt as an expiring contract and end up in a bad situation. If he leaves Orlando, he wants to choose his next team rather than being dealt somewhere out of his control.
                                Source: Hoopsworld.com

This is what I like to see. Fingers crossed on the market being flooded with solid PGs.

Comment

Working...
                                X