View Poll Results: Who should be #1 on the Raptors' list to sign?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nash

13 33.33%
  • Batum

15 38.46%
  • Mayo

2 5.13%
  • Lin

2 5.13%
  • Lee

1 2.56%
  • Fields

4 10.26%
  • Hinrich

1 2.56%
  • Kidd

0 0%
  • L.Williams

0 0%
  • Green

1 2.56%
Page 50 of 80 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1585

Thread: Free Agency 2012

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors to pursue Nicolas Batum

Joe Freeman: One league source said to expect Minnesota, Cleveland and Toronto to chase Batum vigorously. Twitter

Great pickup if it happens!

Post Thanks / Like

If true, perhaps this is the reason for the Calderon amnesty rumors. The best chance of actually signing Batum would be making a big, early offer, putting pressure on Portland to match.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes please to Batum, having guys that can shoot and are also athletic makes it difficult for the other team... if ross drives Batum for three, Batum drives, Ross for three also gives Bargnani more room to operate as well as Jonas. If this guy does get to his ceiling he's Rudy Gay plus a very good three point shooter which would be absolutely nuts and if you get that for 12 mill or less then it will be good value IMO.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

After all the talk about trading a bunch of assets for very high priced veteran SF, I think landing Batum would be the best idea. Obviously there is a strong liklihood that Portland would match just about any offer, but kudos to BC if they are in fact pursuing him.

If I were BC, I would be on the phone with Portland, reminding them that we have $12M in cap space, which could easily be increased to $22M (Calderon amnesty) or higher (potential trading away of salary). I would tell them that we are prepared to make a maximum year offer starting at $10M per season (at least), but that we want to give them the chance to do a S&T, so they can get something of value in return for him. I would tell them that they can have any/all of Calderon (1 year of veteran backup/mentoring for Lillard), Davis (good, young, cheap backup for Aldridge, especially since they didn't tender Hickson) and James Johnson (good, young, cheap SF could replace Batum in rotation).

Come July 11th...

1) trade with Phoenix for Nash: Bayless (S&T) & 2013 2nd round pick --> Nash

2a) trade with Portland for Bayless: Calderon and/or Davis and/or JJ --> Batum
    2b) amnesty Calderon and make max offer (4 years, starting at $10M) to Batum

Cap space implications:
    - after renouncing/trading RFAs: $12M cap space
    - after getting Nash for $12M: no cap space (since Bayless' salary was already removed to get the $12M)
    - after amnesty/trading away of Calderon/Davis/JJ: $15.5M cap space
    - after getting Batum for $10M: $5.5M cap space available

Lineup (age next season):
    C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28), Magloire
    PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (21)
    SF: Batum (23/24), Kleiza (27/28)
    SG: DeRozan (23), Ross (21/22), Forbes (27/28)
    PG: Nash, ???, Uzoh (24/25)

- after acquiring both Nash and Batum, the Raptors would be $5.5M UNDER the salary cap
    - Re-sign Gray ($3M - backup C), Magloire (minimum - 3rd C) and Uzoh (minimum - 3rd PG)
    - Raptors would be at or just under the salary cap, after 2 trades and re-signing 3 of their own free agents; I'm not sure what the status of the TPE, MLE and Vet Exception would be at that point
    - Raptors could use the $5.5M cap space (before re-signing 3 players) or MLE or TPE, to acquire their backup PG
    - Raptors would have a very good, young core, with Nash as their veteran leader

--> $10M per season might seem a little high for Batum, but I actually like paying such a good, young player that much money, when compared to what they'd need to pay for Gay (26 - $19M), Iggy (28/29 - $15M), Deng (27 - $14M) or Chandler (25 - $7M)

--> if BC could land Nash & Batum, in addition to Ross & Acy, I would quite impressed with the Raptors offseason, especially since their total team salary would likely only be just barely over the salary cap (the long-term future wouldn't be mortgaged and roster flexibility would be preserved thanks to no horrendous contracts)
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 07:12 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am blindingly ignorant of the CBA and rules but if this could happen, happy campers all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I am blindingly ignorant of the CBA and rules but if this could happen, happy campers all around.
    It actually could happen quite easily (speaking strictly from salary cap perspective).

The Raps have $12M cap space available, which they could give to Nash.
    If they amnesty/trade Calderon, they could give any/all of the $10.5M he's scheduled to make next year to Batum.

My understanding is that if they S&T for Nash and sign Batum outright (no S&T), they lose the TPE/MLE/Vet Exception.

If they do S&T deals for both Nash and Batum (reach the salary cap without signing free agents), then they keep the TPE/MLE/Vet Exception.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...14&feedID=5212

Portland Trail Blazers restricted free agent forward, Nicolas Batum, has been contacted by the Minnesota Timberwolves and what is being called a "serious offer," has been made and discussed and the two sides will meet in Minnesota later today to deliberate on it further, according to a source very close to the situation.

The detailed figures that are being mulled over is a four-year, $45-50 million deal.

The New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors have also reached out to Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, and meetings with those teams have been agreed on and will be scheduled shortly after the Minnesota trip, a separate source said.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://Sam Amick: Source: Portland GM Neil Olshey & team prez Larry Miller visited restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert tonight in DC, offered max deal Twitter

Sam Amick: Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max. Twitter

Portland is spending money

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so that seems to be a borderline dream scenario for rap fans (though it is actually plausible).

The only thing is we need a capable back up point guard (one who can be developed) because Nash, no matter how well he is doing physically, can not play every game for a full season. The Suns gave him multiple games "off" (same with how Pop gave Duncan a DNP for being "old"), and when that does happen, we are running with Uzoh as our backup? A solid young backup pg is a need behind an old pg. I like having Uzoh as our 3rd string, but who else is going to be able to learn under Nash?

That was why I was rooting for Machado being our late 2nd pick. And because they did not pick him, I am thinking they already have a guy in mind for backup pg.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this is why Stefanski didn't go with the contingent that is meeting with Nash?

The timing would be perfect, if Portland does indeed make a maximum offer to Hibbert. Portland may not be able to match the offer, if their cap space is tied up in the Hibbert offer... but I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much for a Valanciunas, Bargnani, Batum, DeRozan and Nash starting lineup...
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 08:44 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If Colangelo is going all in, Batum would be a great addition. The mechanics of how it happens I suspect requires a sign & trade either with or even better with both .....Phoenix for Nash or with Portland for Batum.
    So I would offer Calderon as a sign & trade for Nash. They will need a point guard when Nash even after drafting K.Marshall.
    We could offer a sign & trade with Portland..... A. Johnson, & J.Johnson since will we offer $10 mil + for Batum.

I will definitely need to keep Bayless as a combo guard to back up Nash. Then we need a veteran center to teach JV the ropes.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

lets use some of this flexibility i hear about

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I wonder if this is why Stefanski didn't go with the contingent that is meeting with Nash?

The timing would be perfect, if Portland does indeed make a maximum offer to Hibbert. Portland may not be able to match the offer, if their cap space is tied up in the Hibbert offer... but I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much for a Valanciunas, Bargnani, Batum, DeRozan and Nash starting lineup...
    That is a real nice starting line-up and with i think we would be a deep team as well. I think we have a lot of players that we can ship out due to our depth at the bench if BC can land batum and nash (ed,jj, klezia, amir) a package of those players plus a draft pick or two can land us a servicable sixth man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    That is a real nice starting line-up and with i think we would be a deep team as well. I think we have a lot of players that we can ship out due to our depth at the bench if BC can land batum and nash (ed,jj, klezia, amir) a package of those players plus a draft pick or two can land us a servicable sixth man
    I could see Calderon (mentor for Marshall) or Bayless (hometown boy) going to Phoenix. Perhaps Weems and/or JJ too.

Portland might like Calderon as a mentor for Lillard and would probably like Davis as backup for Aldridge. They might even like JJ as a positional replacement for Batum.

Starters: Valanciunas, Bargnani, Batum, DeRozan, Nash

2nd Unit: Gray, Amir, Kleiza, Ross, ??? (Acy could replace Gray when they want to play with a smaller lineup)
    - Ross could become a great 6th man (or eventually replace DeRozan in the starting lineup, allowing DD to flourish in the 6th man role).

As for the backup PG, the Raps could go young (Jonny Flynn) or with another veteran (Kirk Hinrich would be a great fit behind Nash, especially with his 3pt shooting abilities). They could offer the MLE to Hinrich, perhaps. That would leave Toronto with a 14-man roster that is only about $5M over the salary cap.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happens, it will happen soon. Batum said several times that he wants to sign his contract in the first 5 days of July, cause right now he's sitting on the bench at France's olympic training camp for insurance reasons. He plans on flying to the US (or hopefully to Canada) once decided, but not after July 10th when they will move to London.

Time Pressure could actually in our favor...

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto is going to have to offer a crazy amount of dollars for Portland not to match..like 14-15 mil a season. And at that point, he's nowhere near worth that kind of money.

Post Thanks / Like

What they could do is contact Olshey, tell them that they're planning on putting forth an offer to Batum, and tell them that they'd be willing to offer something like DeRozan and Davis for a second round pick if Portland doesn't match.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

there seems to be alot of gross overspending (overoffering) going on right now..(Hibbert max deal from portland)(Asik & rockets at 8mill) heck even dragic thinks hes worth 10mill..its getting crazy already & its only 10:45am LOL T.O will need to back up the brinks truck...look for everyones TV bills to go up very soon LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto probably won't make a move until Nash decides... Ugh... They need to be on this NOW. Portland sounds like they won't match any offer if they're offer Hibbert max money(ridiculous).

On the flip side with this early overspending there will probably be some deals to be had later.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Wallace is going to stay with the Nets (4yr/$40M):
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ce-sources-say

.... phew

Thread Information