Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No thank you. *click*
    LOL, ok so now we've established your acceptable threshold.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Source: Hoopsworld.com

This is what I like to see. Fingers crossed on the market being flooded with solid PGs.
      I'd suck an elephant's......................tusk if we could land Goran Dragic
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• "Kevin Love and guard Ricky Rubio moving forward. Kahn said beyond those two players, any possibility to make the team better is on the table and all potential moves will be explored. "

don't know about you guys but I would ship out quite a bit if it could land us Derrick Williams and Nicola Peckovic
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• The N.B.A. players union is asking an arbitrator to clarify certain free-agent rights, in a case that could immeasurably benefit the Knicks this summer, according to several people involved in the process.

The case concerns what are known as “Bird rights,” which allow a player to re-sign with his team, without regard to the salary cap. The league contends those rights are lost when a player changes teams through waivers. The union is challenging that interpretation.

If the union prevails, the Knicks would be able to re-sign both Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, their two top free agents, despite cap constraints. They would also retain a $5 million salary slot — known as the mid-level exception — for use on another player, possibly J.R. Smith, who might opt out of his Knicks contract.

But if the union’s challenge fails, the Knicks will probably lose Novak and possibly Smith, when free agency opens in July. And they will have little ability to sign significant a free agent — such as Steve Nash — once they re-sign Lin.

The union sent a letter seeking arbitration on Monday and hopes to have the matter settled by the time free agency opens on July 1. The union and the league must first select an arbitrator.

The case could also affect J.J. Hickson of the Portland Trail Blazers and Chauncey Billups of the Los Angeles Clippers,.

At issue is whether a player retains his Bird rights when he is claimed off waivers, as Lin, Novak, Hickson and Billups were this season.

The union contends that a claimed player on waivers should retain all contractual benefits, just as a player does when he is traded. The league disagrees, based on a clause in the labor agreement that indicates Bird rights are lost when a player is waived, even if another team claims him.

Although the Bird rules have been in place for years, earning their name during collective bargaining in the early ‘80s because they would theoretically allow the Celtics to re-sign Larry Bird, this specific dispute had never arisen until now. For one, N.B.A. players are rarely claimed off waivers. And most waived players are not valuable enough for a team to invoke his Bird rights.

That changed in a rather dramatic fashion this season, when Lin and Novak – who were both playing on minimum contracts – had breakout seasons for the Knicks after being claimed on waivers in December. Both could receive lucrative, multiyear offers this summer.

If Lin and Novak are determined to have “early-Bird” rights, the Knicks could pay each one a starting salary up to the league average, about $5.7 million. Without those rights, the Knicks could only offer small raises, unless they used a cap exception, the midlevel ($5 million) or the biannual ($1.9 million).

The Knicks would almost certainly need the entire midlevel to sign Lin, leaving them unable to compete for Novak and Smith.

N.B.A. lawyers consider the matter cut and dried, based on definitions contained in the collective bargaining agreement. But experts across the league believed otherwise when the issue first came up. Three general managers asked in February all believed that Lin had retained his “early-Bird” rights.

The league then clarified its view, and the union began pondering whether to challenge it.

A player earns Bird rights by playing for the same team in consecutive years – two years for “early-Bird” rights and three years for full Bird rights. An early-Bird player is eligible for the average player salary, without respect to the salary cap. A player with full Bird rights can sign for up to the maximum salary.

Novak and Lin had earned early-Bird rights before they were waived last December, Novak by the San Antonio Spurs and Lin by the Golden State Warriors. (Lin was subsequently claimed, and waived again, by the Houston Rockets, before joining the Knicks.)

Hickson and Billups had full Bird rights before being waived (Hickson by Sacramento and Billups by the Knicks).

In general, a player retains his Bird rights in a trade, because his contract transfers with him. The union contends that the same principle should apply when a player is claimed off waivers, because his contract is still in effect and -- similar to a trade -- the player did not choose his next team.

In the union’s view, Bird rights should only expire when a player clears waivers, because at that point he is a free agent who can choose a new team and sign a new contract.

The union contends that the entire rationale for allowing Bird rights to transfer was to protect players who changed teams against their will -- a principle that could apply to both trades and waiver claims. (The section of the uniform player contract that deals with waiver claims, in fact, cross references the rules governing trades.)

So union officials believe the spirit of the rule favors them. But if the arbitrator goes by the letter of the law, the union will likely lose the case and the Knicks will likely lose some key players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sp...&smid=tw-share
          I actually side with the players on the issue in theory but hope the NBA wins because I truly despise the Knicks and want to see them suffer for their 6-month demolition of 8 years of tanking due to their pursuit of buying an NBA championship in their Isiah Thomas years. Spiteful? You betcha.

Comment

• Jesus Christ what is people's obsession with Derrick Williams here
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              Jesus Christ what is people's obsession with Derrick Williams here
              +1

Comment

• i would take williams in a second if the price wasn't crazy. he should end up a really good shooter and iso player.

Comment

People here are fascinated with the unknown. Its why everybody here is in a hurry to annoint next SG(if we draft one) the starter. If DeRozan was a second year player on different team. Everybody here would be all over him and want him here. They know DeRozan so thiers no interest.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    People here are fascinated with the unknown. Its why everybody here is in a hurry to annoint next SG(if we draft one) the starter. If DeRozan was a second year player on different team. Everybody here would be all over him and want him here. They know DeRozan so thiers no interest.
                    I agree. It's really difficult to follow so many teams in the league as much as we follow the Raptors. So generally, there would be an opinion generated off some players based on some highlights/games seen.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      torch19 wrote: View Post
                      I agree. It's really difficult to follow so many teams in the league as much as we follow the Raptors. So generally, there would be an opinion generated off some players based on some highlights/games seen.

if williams could be had for ed or amir wouldn't you do it? he would be an immediate upgrade at the 3 to what we have, he didn't have a horrible rookie year, came off the bench a couple times shooting lights out. is two years removed from being the best player in college ball. he is one of the few from last years draft that didn't artificially get bumped up from others dropping out. only barnes might have gone higher than him last year.

Comment

• Yes. I would much rather have Derrick Williams than either of those two. But considering all of the factors you pointed out, I am expecting a big price to acquire him, one that would include at least a couple of our prospects and the draft pick #8. So in the end, I do not think he is worth gutting our core for.

Also, he is still a tweener to me. So my opinion, one that is anti-tweeners, is biased.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Derrick Williams

I know this is just a highlight mix but damn he can throw down!
                          Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

It's eerily similar to your obsession with Burks.

Comment

• If Minnesota didn't have Beasley on their roster, Williams would've likely been contending Irving for ROY.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                It's eerily similar to your obsession with Burks.
                                Yeah but Burks is actually good
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X