Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    It's a short term deal. If the deal doesn't put them over the tax threshold and they feel what they need to do next summer won't put them over then no big deal here.
    Utah still holds AK47's Bird Rights. He could be signed and traded. Toronto would keep exceptions and Bird Rights on Bayless/Weems and Gray's rights. Toronto could also take back Raja Bell (who I think would be a valuable addition for teaching and intensity in practice in addition to situational game usage) as a carrot for Utah. It is known Bell wants out of Utah and he has just 1 year and $3.4M on his contract. Forbes would definitely be gone somewhere in this.

It also doesn't hurt that Bell is tight with Nash.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Utah still holds AK47's Bird Rights. He could be signed and traded. Toronto would keep exceptions and Bird Rights on Bayless/Weems and Gray's rights. Toronto could also take back Raja Bell (who I think would be a valuable addition for teaching and intensity in practice in addition to situational game usage) as a carrot for Utah. It is known Bell wants out of Utah and he has just 1 year and $3.4M on his contract. Forbes would definitely be gone somewhere in this.

I've read 2 of Larry Coon's recent chats and he's mentioned that there's a new stipulation in the CBA which states that teams who have RFAs that didn't actually play for them the previous season (ie: AK47-Utah, Green-Boston, Weems-Toronto), lose the ability to S&T the player away. The team still maintains the player's Bird Rights, however.

This is post #14 from the 'Bayless/Weems' thread:

According to Larry Coon's chat today on ESPN, Toronto could deal Bayless in a S&T, but not Weems. Apparently there is a rule change in the new CBA that says a player must actually play for the team during the previous season, in order to be able to S&T them away. Weems is an RFA, but we can't S&T him. I hope BC isn't planning on keeping Weems next season.

Article Link: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary...rry-coon-62912

JB: Larry, because Jeff Green was technically not on the Celtics’ roster last season, are they unable to sign-and-trade him?

Larry Coon: Correct. One of the new rules is that teams can only do a sign-and-trade with a player that was on their roster the previous season. By the way, the same thing goes for Phoenix with Aaron Brooks, and Utah for AK-47.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I've read 2 of Larry Coon's recent chats and he's mentioned that there's a new stipulation in the CBA which states that teams who have RFAs that didn't actually play for them the previous season (ie: AK47-Utah, Green-Boston, Weems-Toronto), lose the ability to S&T the player away. The team still maintains the player's Bird Rights, however.

I can't find any links, but I posted excerpts from the chat in the Bayless/Weems thread.

No, don't worry about links. You are correct.

It is tough remembering all the fine print of the CBA.

So scratch off S&T with Houston.

I still do like Bell in Toronto though. DD would certainly have to grow a pair to play him in practice everyday.

Comment

I don't like the idea of Kirilenko as our SF answer.. however if that's our only option and a S&T is possible, I think sending Calderon back to Utah would make a lot of sense.. Utah has a TPE (from Okur) that should fit Jose's contract (actually Jose has a trade kicker, so I'm not sure), plus they traded away Harris to Atlanta so need a replacement.

I wouldn't mind Bell as a veteran presence on the bench. Actually Bell started a lot of games for Utah if I recall, so he's very serviceable still.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I don't like the idea of Kirilenko as our SF answer.. however if that's our only option and a S&T is possible, I think sending Calderon back to Utah would make a lot of sense.. Utah has a TPE (from Okur) that should fit Jose's contract (actually Jose has a trade kicker, so I'm not sure), plus they traded away Harris to Atlanta so need a replacement.

I wouldn't mind Bell as a veteran presence on the bench. Actually Bell started a lot of games for Utah if I recall, so he's very serviceable still.
            Utah can't S&T AK47 (just like Toronto can't S&T Weems), per rule in new CBA. Also, I believe Utah used the Okur TPE to acquire Mo Williams in the 4-team Odom trade.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Utah can't S&T AK47 (just like Toronto can't S&T Weems), per rule in new CBA. Also, I believe Utah used the Okur TPE to acquire Mo Williams in the 4-team Odom trade.
              I forgot about the Mo Williams deal.. but unlike Weems, Kirilenko is an unrestricted free agent. So he could sign with Utah and then be immediately traded to Toronto (similar to Nash and Phoenix).

Comment

You would think that but clearly it is not the case.

David West is past his prime and had a very positive impact on Indiana last year. At 2 years if it doesn't work out, he is an expiring contract the following season in the new CBA where expiring contracts should return to a valuable chip like they were up until the last few years.
                Yikes! I don't like the presidence that would be setting. I must be seriously under valueing AK47, but to think an injury prone, past his prime player like him is worth that kind of $$...just not something which interests me. I actually felt that the David West deal was a good move for Indiana, but he has a totally different game and IMO more value than Kirelenko.

You would be putting him on par with AB and JC's contracts. That's 3 non all star calibre players at $10 million each. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Yikes! I don't like the presidence that would be setting. I must be seriously under valueing AK47, but to think an injury prone, past his prime player like him is worth that kind of $$...just not something which interests me. I actually felt that the David West deal was a good move for Indiana, but he has a totally different game and IMO more value than Kirelenko.

You would be putting him on par with AB and JC's contracts. That's 3 non all star calibre players at $10 million each. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
                  West was coming off a torn ACL.

I agree with AK47's injury history and he is past his prime. Doesn't mean he is still not a great defender and contributor. I'd rather AK than Gerald Wallace.

Comment

• I do not think that is the case mars. Restricted or unrestricted the FA must

The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
                    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88

Comment

but unlike Weems, Kirilenko is an unrestricted free agent. So he could sign with Utah and then be immediately traded to Toronto (similar to Nash and Phoenix).
                      Signing with Utah, and then getting traded by Utah, sounds an awful lot like a Sign-and-Trade ... haha
                      Nash was on the Suns roster last year, so he is able to part of a sign-and-trade. Kirilenko was NOT part of Utah's Roster last year, hence he can not be involved in any sort of S&T.
                      If AK signs with Utah, he can't be traded until December I believe.

ADD jbml beat me to it.

Comment

I forgot about the Mo Williams deal.. but unlike Weems, Kirilenko is an unrestricted free agent. So he could sign with Utah and then be immediately traded to Toronto (similar to Nash and Phoenix).
                        Nope.

CRF was right in the correction he made to my post.

I forgot you can't sign and trade a player who sat out of the NBA for a year. Same with Aaron Brooks in PHX.

I think this is the attempt to close the loophole that Keith Van Horn created in Jason Kidd trade to Dallas in 2008 where he retired but did not file his papers and was then sign&traded to make a deal work and never played a minute. Great job if you can get it - sign for $4M, show up, and leave again with $4M in your bank account.

http://www.hoopskills.com/blog/archi...one-lucky-man/

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                          I do not think that is the case mars. Restricted or unrestricted the FA must

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88
                          Thanks... I was already worried about an AK47 signing, this just makes it worst. Unless we can get Nash in a S&T, it would mean we'd have to amnesty Jose, which I'm not a fan of. I hope Kirilenko is low on their wish list.

Comment

• Dragic not going back to Houston?

Source - @jonathan_feigen:

Sides so far apart on contract, meeting yesterday ended w/ thanks and good luck kind of exchange. Still, Dragic hasn't gotten that deal yet.
                            As @ESPNSteinLine mentioned last night, little chance of Dragic return to Rockets. Source: "Goran’s not coming back. Just not happening."
                            Houston is screwed if they lose Dragic especially since Lowry is pissed off at them. If Dragic and Lowry are gone - I think its the perfect team for a Calderon trade.

Comment

Source - @jonathan_feigen:

Houston is screwed if they lose Dragic especially since Lowry is pissed off at them. If Dragic and Lowry are gone - I think its the perfect team for a Calderon trade.
                              Houston and Lowry will make kiss-kiss soon enough. Lowry is on one of the best value contracts in the NBA outside of rookie deals.

Now if Gasol ends up in HOU, suddenly this becomes much more interesting.

Comment

• Chris Broussard: Source: Deron Williams is working out at the Nets practice facility right now. Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X