No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Uzoh a chance ! Only thing the guy has to improve on is shooting & he will be a solid back-up. But since he can't shoot, he's a 3rd stringer. But he can play D, big point guard & can rebound. That's a good PG to have with a ball dominant PG like Dion Waiters!
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Flynn is the worst

Comment

• But it’s clear there remain some hard feelings from the winter, when the Blazers and Ndiaye were unable to reach a contract extension that would have prevented Batum from becoming a free agent.

“He called to let me know he was on board and he said some good things,” Ndiaye said of his talk with Olshey. “But for me, the Blazers are still the same. They have a new GM, but it’s still the same owner, still the same management. So nothing has changed.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._talk_but.html

I wonder how this works out. Portland has cap space and Bird Rights but I wonder what their limit is on him?

The problem with Batum is you are paying for potential which is a tougher pill to swallow than drafting for potential.

A 3 guard/wing rotation of Ross/DD/Batum would be dynamic.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I wonder how this works out. Portland has cap space and Bird Rights but I wonder what their limit is on him?

The problem with Batum is you are paying for potential which is a tougher pill to swallow than drafting for potential.

A 3 guard/wing rotation of Ross/DD/Batum would be dynamic.
          Agreed. Batum would be cheaper than Gay and would also require less additional assets to acquire. I wonder how open Portland might be to a S&T, given Toronto's wealth of assets, if Toronto let it be known that they would make a crazy high offer to him?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Agreed. Batum would be cheaper than Gay and would also require less additional assets to acquire. I wonder how open Portland might be to a S&T, given Toronto's wealth of assets, if Toronto let it be known that they would make a crazy high offer to him?
            Portland's roster is interesting:

PG: Lillard, Williams, Smith, Taylor
            SG: Matthews, Barton
            SF: Babbitt
            PF: Aldridge
            C: Leonard, Thomas

They have Batum and HIckson as free agents.

Payroll is currently $28M. Add a little over $5M for 1st round picks. Add $7M caphold for Hickson and $6.4M for Batum. They suddenly only have $12M for free agency and a number of holes.

If Toronto struck early, they might be able to force their hand - especially if BC says, "Call me July 11th. Whatever they offer, we'll beat." If a sign and trade was done Toronto still has MLE and TPE.

Somehow adding Batum or Gay with Nash would make absolve BC for the sins he has committed in the last few months.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Portland's roster is interesting:

PG: Lillard, Williams, Smith, Taylor
              SG: Matthews, Barton
              SF: Babbitt
              PF: Aldridge
              C: Leonard, Thomas

They have Batum and HIckson as free agents.

Payroll is currently $28M. Add a little over $5M for 1st round picks. Add $7M caphold for Hickson and $6.4M for Batum. They suddenly only have $12M for free agency and a number of holes.

If Toronto struck early, they might be able to force their hand - especially if BC says, "Call me July 11th. Whatever they offer, we'll beat." If a sign and trade was done Toronto still has MLE and TPE.

Somehow adding Batum or Gay with Nash would make absolve BC for the sins he has committed in the last few months.
              I would be so happy with either of those two.

Comment

• The plan is clearly to get Nash and a top-tier 3. No question. The only question is whether Colangelo can get other teams to cooperate. I have faith that Nash is already on board, which immediately makes selling other players on Toronto easier. There's not an offensive player in the league that wouldn't love to play with Nash.

I think we'll be looking at a starting roster of Nash, Bargnani, Valanciunas, Derozan or Ross, and one of Gay, Iguodala, or Batum. And I'd be pretty interested in seeing what kind of damage that team could do over the next 3 years...
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                  The plan is clearly to get Nash and a top-tier 3. No question. The only question is whether Colangelo can get other teams to cooperate. I have faith that Nash is already on board, which immediately makes selling other players on Toronto easier. There's not an offensive player in the league that wouldn't love to play with Nash.

I think we'll be looking at a starting roster of Nash, Bargnani, Valanciunas, Derozan or Ross, and one of Gay, Iguodala, or Batum. And I'd be pretty interested in seeing what kind of damage that team could do over the next 3 years...
                  I absolutely agree. My only concern is that my gut feeling is that Iguodala is the likely target. He would be a distant 3rd choice from that short list, especially since he could walk after just one season (player option for 2013-14). Now if BC also decided to target Chandler from Denver... Gay will be making about $18M per season on average over the next three years, while Iguodala & Chandler would make about $22M combined... just saying :-)
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Here's a question: what happens if they don't land Nash?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Here's a question: what happens if they don't land Nash?
                      That is a very good question.

Honestly, I can't see them passing on Lowry when no player that was in Plan A was on the board without a little inside knowledge.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        Here's a question: what happens if they don't land Nash?
                        I'll answer this on Tuesday. ;-)

Seriously, I think it's already done.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...gency-raptors/

Good article...

Comment

• Even Brandon Rush would make a nice 3 to pair with Nash and the boys, and would come at a fraction of the cost as Batum.

(Tho i'd love to have Batum)
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• thanks. great read. interesting that he went with the don't amnesty calderon route. He hasn't heard that the republic has already engineered a trade for rudy gay

Comment

• Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

The Memphis Grizzlies will not issue a qualifying offer to O.J. Mayo, which means he'll become an unrestricted free agent.
                                OJ Mayo unrestricted. Too bad another SG is not needed - unless DD is sent packing.

Comment

Working...
                                X