Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    OJ Mayo unrestricted. Too bad another SG is not needed - unless DD is sent packing.
    I just commented in the "48 Hours" thread that he could be interesting to consider if he was serious at the end of the season when he mentioned that he saw himself as being capable of playing some PG in the future. He'd be an interesting guy to bring in as a backup PG to Nash (!), who could also spend time at SG. It could work, since DD could spend some time at SF.

Nash, Mayo, DeRozan, Ross, JJ, Kleiza filling the SF/SG/PG spots? They could sign Machado or re-sign Uzoh as a pure PG to keep as the 3rd PG / 12th man. BC likes players that can play multiple positions... who knows, could be interesting.

I'm guessing this move my Memphis signals that any hope of Toronto trading for Rudy Gay is officially dead. :-(
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      OJ Mayo unrestricted. Too bad another SG is not needed - unless DD is sent packing.
      Anyone think Mayo could play backup SG and backup PG? I think that if Toronto were to go after Mayo and Nash it would have to spell the end for Jose.

Note: I don't see the Raptors going after him, realistically.

Comment

• I see a trade for Wilson Chandler. He was so horrible in the small sample size of games he played in last year, which could drive his price lower. They are loaded with wings, especially after drafting Fournier and Miller. They need help in the front court.

I say Amir + our 56th pick (Zubcic) + future 2nd round for Wilson Chandler. We can even throw in Jerryd Bayless as a sign and trade if that is permissible.

This trade would address Denver's need of a quality big alongside Kenneth Faried, future assets + a back-up attack style point guard & we get a starting 3, with some upside left in him.

Chandler can make shots, create shots, mobile and athletic enough to defend the position and has size.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...mall-forwards/

Where are we going to get out starting SF from? Hope there's an interesting trade out there.

Comment

• Ak47, or play a healthy Kleiza and a more experienced Johnson.

No one gives Johnson any credit, but have some patients, he's young. He impressed me on defense last year, and shows glimpses on offense. He actually reminds my of Paul Pierce when he takes it to the rim
            Last edited by speedbag; Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• The Raptors are among 5 teams that have asked Scott Machado to play on their summer league team as a free agent. The other teams are Clevland, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston.

Comment

• A little more on the previous post

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...=More%20Sports

Scott Machado, the Iona point guard passed over in Thursday’s NBA Draft, has heard from several teams about joining their Summer League team as a free agent, according to sources.

The Bobcats, Raptors, Cavaliers, Hawks and Rockets have expressed interest, the sources said. A Queens product, the 6-foot-2 Machado led the nation with 9.9 assists per game and guided Iona to the NCAA tournament.

“It’s another fuel to the fire, that’s exactly what it is,” he said. “I was very disappointed. It was so disappointing it became a trending topic.”

Machado said he expects to pick a team by the end of the weekend. He plans to sign based on the team’s need at his position and the opportunity to stick with the organization.

“That’s all going into consideration,” he said.

Machado said he spoke with a few teams late in the second round, but they wanted him tom play a year or two overseas first, which he doesn’t feel is necessary.

“It’s another stepping stone I have to get over,” he said. “It’s going to motivate me a lot.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1zHtECnWP

Comment

• Bill Simmons and Chad Ford both endorsed Toronto giving Nash $40M over 4 years. Calling it a Bargain.

What do you guys think? Bill Simmons loved the idea of Nash to Raptors.
                  He went on about it for like 20 minutes on the BS report.

Also had a trade proposal that I found interesting.

Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace for Bargs, Jose and Demar.

Then sign Ray Allen.

Love Bill Simmons. Haha

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Bill Simmons and Chad Ford both endorsed Toronto giving Nash $40M over 4 years. Calling it a Bargain.

What do you guys think? Bill Simmons loved the idea of Nash to Raptors.
                    He went on about it for like 20 minutes on the BS report.

Also had a trade proposal that I found interesting.

Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace for Bargs, Jose and Demar.

Then sign Ray Allen.

Love Bill Simmons. Haha
                    I would be hesitant giving Nash more than 3 years - maybe 2/3 years and then option year(s)? I also like the idea of loading it on the front end to further distance Toronto's offer from other teams' potential offer, while still averaging no more than $10M per season. The Raps have the cap space and a S&T would keep the TPE/exceptions in play, so why not front-end load it by a few milllion?

I don't like the proposed trade. Nash one thing, but that trade would dereail the organic building that BC has going on. I'd rather still focus on mid/long-term instead of trying to do some hybrid win-now approach just because Nash is on-board.

Comment

• There's no real point in bringing in Nash if they're just gonna keep the roster status quo.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        There's no real point in bringing in Nash if they're just gonna keep the roster status quo.
                        Agreed. With Nash and Gasol you have a top 4 team in the East, add Allen and we may be competing with Indiana and Boston for 2nd next year. With just Nash you have 7 or 8th hopefully.

Comment

• Simmons should stfu He is off on the money and term for Nash as well as the trade which is exactly the treadmill type of move we should stay away from. Pau is on the downside and Artest is one step away from cuckoo land. I dont think BS wants us to be any competition for his beloved Celtics.

Edit: Nash is being pursued to give the franchise credibility and to man a position important for the progress/development of JV, Ross and others. By the time Nash is gone 2-3 yrs there should be a PG waiting to take over. I dont understand this rush to put ateam together with speed leading to mediocre choices. Get the players who fit the plan. If Nash signs on it will be because he understands what his role will be.
                          Last edited by Bendit; Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Where's this point guard of the future coming from?

From 15th-20th picks in the draft while Nash is here? Rondo's don't just come around every year.

If you're going to go for it with an aging superstar actually go for it, stop doing shit half assed. We half ass tanking, we half ass free agency, don't half ass this.

Comment

• Nash has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and say he'll listen to any team that calls, but industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified four teams that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away: Toronto, Dallas, New York and Brooklyn.

Raptors president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo, who headed the Phoenix contingent that swooped into Dallas in July 2004 and convinced Nash to leave the Mavericks to return the team that drafted him in less than 24 hours, is planning a similar approach to courting Canada's best-ever player in 2012.

Sources say that the Raptors will have at least five members of the organization waiting in New York this weekend to visit Nash as soon as he's ready Sunday, with Toronto widely expected to make the richest financial offer Nash receives this offseason to come back to Canada. The offer is likely to approach $12 million annually, sources say.

"There's positives to every situation," Nash said. "The Raptors would be one of those teams where you're probably not going there to win a championship in the next three years. For me it'd be going home to Canada, to a great city, and trying to help an organization move forward.

"I'm open to the positives of all of them. It'd be great if four or five contenders came after me and all offered me a deal, but the reality is I might not get that opportunity. So I'm going to look at every opportunity and Toronto will be one that I'll study as well and look at the opportunity for them to grow in the next three years and what kind of impact I can have on that team. And obviously from a community standpoint, it's a special place for me."

Source - ESPN
                              Food for thought.

I honestly didn't think it was realistic to think we could get Nash. Now I'm SO for this.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Food for thought.

I honestly didn't think it was realistic to think we could get Nash. Now I'm SO for this.
                                I think Nash is not only thinking about the glorious home-coming finish to his career, but his next career as well. He has been named GM of the Canadian National team and has a chance to rebuild both the Canadian team and Canada's NBA team, which would set him up for a future NBA GM and/or coaching job quite nicely, I would think.

Comment

Working...
                                X