No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone think beasley (who the twolves let go as ufa) is a possibility. still young and if he plays with a nash and plays for casey he might fit in well with derozan and ross at the wing

Comment

• shawn marion for calderon...done. Jkidd is leaving, maybe the jet as well. Dallas needs a point gaurd and if they dont land deron williams i think calderon would be a good fit with dirk. We get a sf that plays d which casey would love and is proven to fit with nash. Thought?

Comment

• Raptors expected to go after Batum

But one league source said to expect Minnesota, Cleveland and Toronto to chase Batum vigorously.
        Source: Twitter @BlazerFreeman

Comment

• jose+dd+jj for batum in sign and trade? it would be really nice to grab batum. much more than illyasova

Comment

• I don't know why I'm not interested in Ilyasova at all .... I feel that he is a tweener & not a real 3
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Raptors to pursue Nicolas Batum

Joe Freeman: One league source said to expect Minnesota, Cleveland and Toronto to chase Batum vigorously. Twitter

Great pickup if it happens!

Comment

• If true, perhaps this is the reason for the Calderon amnesty rumors. The best chance of actually signing Batum would be making a big, early offer, putting pressure on Portland to match.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Yes please to Batum, having guys that can shoot and are also athletic makes it difficult for the other team... if ross drives Batum for three, Batum drives, Ross for three also gives Bargnani more room to operate as well as Jonas. If this guy does get to his ceiling he's Rudy Gay plus a very good three point shooter which would be absolutely nuts and if you get that for 12 mill or less then it will be good value IMO.
                  Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• After all the talk about trading a bunch of assets for very high priced veteran SF, I think landing Batum would be the best idea. Obviously there is a strong liklihood that Portland would match just about any offer, but kudos to BC if they are in fact pursuing him.

If I were BC, I would be on the phone with Portland, reminding them that we have $12M in cap space, which could easily be increased to $22M (Calderon amnesty) or higher (potential trading away of salary). I would tell them that we are prepared to make a maximum year offer starting at $10M per season (at least), but that we want to give them the chance to do a S&T, so they can get something of value in return for him. I would tell them that they can have any/all of Calderon (1 year of veteran backup/mentoring for Lillard), Davis (good, young, cheap backup for Aldridge, especially since they didn't tender Hickson) and James Johnson (good, young, cheap SF could replace Batum in rotation).

Come July 11th...

1) trade with Phoenix for Nash: Bayless (S&T) & 2013 2nd round pick --> Nash

2a) trade with Portland for Bayless: Calderon and/or Davis and/or JJ --> Batum
                    2b) amnesty Calderon and make max offer (4 years, starting at $10M) to Batum

Cap space implications:
                    - after renouncing/trading RFAs: $12M cap space
                    - after getting Nash for $12M: no cap space (since Bayless' salary was already removed to get the $12M)
                    - after amnesty/trading away of Calderon/Davis/JJ: $15.5M cap space
                    - after getting Batum for $10M: $5.5M cap space available

Lineup (age next season):
                    C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28), Magloire
                    PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (21)
                    SF: Batum (23/24), Kleiza (27/28)
                    SG: DeRozan (23), Ross (21/22), Forbes (27/28)
                    PG: Nash, ???, Uzoh (24/25)

- after acquiring both Nash and Batum, the Raptors would be $5.5M UNDER the salary cap
                    - Re-sign Gray ($3M - backup C), Magloire (minimum - 3rd C) and Uzoh (minimum - 3rd PG)
                    - Raptors would be at or just under the salary cap, after 2 trades and re-signing 3 of their own free agents; I'm not sure what the status of the TPE, MLE and Vet Exception would be at that point
                    - Raptors could use the $5.5M cap space (before re-signing 3 players) or MLE or TPE, to acquire their backup PG
                    - Raptors would have a very good, young core, with Nash as their veteran leader

--> $10M per season might seem a little high for Batum, but I actually like paying such a good, young player that much money, when compared to what they'd need to pay for Gay (26 - $19M), Iggy (28/29 - $15M), Deng (27 - $14M) or Chandler (25 - $7M)

--> if BC could land Nash & Batum, in addition to Ross & Acy, I would quite impressed with the Raptors offseason, especially since their total team salary would likely only be just barely over the salary cap (the long-term future wouldn't be mortgaged and roster flexibility would be preserved thanks to no horrendous contracts)
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• I am blindingly ignorant of the CBA and rules but if this could happen, happy campers all around.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        I am blindingly ignorant of the CBA and rules but if this could happen, happy campers all around.
                        It actually could happen quite easily (speaking strictly from salary cap perspective).

The Raps have $12M cap space available, which they could give to Nash.
                        If they amnesty/trade Calderon, they could give any/all of the $10.5M he's scheduled to make next year to Batum.

My understanding is that if they S&T for Nash and sign Batum outright (no S&T), they lose the TPE/MLE/Vet Exception.

If they do S&T deals for both Nash and Batum (reach the salary cap without signing free agents), then they keep the TPE/MLE/Vet Exception.

Comment

• http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...14&feedID=5212

Portland Trail Blazers restricted free agent forward, Nicolas Batum, has been contacted by the Minnesota Timberwolves and what is being called a "serious offer," has been made and discussed and the two sides will meet in Minnesota later today to deliberate on it further, according to a source very close to the situation.

The detailed figures that are being mulled over is a four-year, $45-50 million deal.

The New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors have also reached out to Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, and meetings with those teams have been agreed on and will be scheduled shortly after the Minnesota trip, a separate source said.

Comment

• http://Sam Amick: Source: Portland GM Neil Olshey & team prez Larry Miller visited restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert tonight in DC, offered max deal Twitter

Sam Amick: Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max. Twitter

Portland is spending money

Comment

• Wow, so that seems to be a borderline dream scenario for rap fans (though it is actually plausible).

The only thing is we need a capable back up point guard (one who can be developed) because Nash, no matter how well he is doing physically, can not play every game for a full season. The Suns gave him multiple games "off" (same with how Pop gave Duncan a DNP for being "old"), and when that does happen, we are running with Uzoh as our backup? A solid young backup pg is a need behind an old pg. I like having Uzoh as our 3rd string, but who else is going to be able to learn under Nash?

That was why I was rooting for Machado being our late 2nd pick. And because they did not pick him, I am thinking they already have a guy in mind for backup pg.

Comment

• I wonder if this is why Stefanski didn't go with the contingent that is meeting with Nash?

The timing would be perfect, if Portland does indeed make a maximum offer to Hibbert. Portland may not be able to match the offer, if their cap space is tied up in the Hibbert offer... but I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much for a Valanciunas, Bargnani, Batum, DeRozan and Nash starting lineup...
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X