View Poll Results: Who should be #1 on the Raptors' list to sign?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nash

13 33.33%
  • Batum

15 38.46%
  • Mayo

2 5.13%
  • Lin

2 5.13%
  • Lee

1 2.56%
  • Fields

4 10.26%
  • Hinrich

1 2.56%
  • Kidd

0 0%
  • L.Williams

0 0%
  • Green

1 2.56%
Page 1 of 80 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2012

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Agency 2012

I don't think this thread has been started yet so here it goes.

This is a big year for free agents. We have Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Westbrook, Derron Williams, Kevin Garnett, Derrick Rose, Bynum, Chris Paul.....the list goes on and you can see the rest here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

We've had a lot of conversations on who the Raptors should draft, but what about who they should sign? If we amnestied someone like Calderon we are actually in a position to offer out a lot of money and there are a number of players that would fit well here. I personally would love to get Westbrook (I'd give him the max) and Gallinari. What do you think?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the FA market will still depend on who gets offered an extension and who accepts, but to play along.....

If i were BC, of course id go after the big names first, no matter how grim the chances are of getting them, who knows, they might like the offer....

Howard, Westbrook, Rose, E. Gordon, Bynum, Batum

Post Thanks / Like

If we truly have confidence in Jonas going forward, do we make a run at Howard or Bynum (not that we have a chance)?
    Ideally we get to see how the draft plays out, who we pick, who other teams pick, and make a solid run at a player who his original team may not match because of their roster and draft pick.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Paul agreed not to opt-out of his final year (I thought I heard the Clippers would only agree to the trade if they had Paul for 2 years).

But definitely count me in for offering Westbrook max.

As for Gallo, I think I'd rather see Wilson Chandler in a Raptors uniform.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The list has not been updated since CPaul has exercised his 2012 option and will not be a FA until 2013. DRose has already extended, and Galinari is very close. The Lakers will exercise their TO on Bynum assuming he isn't traded for DHoward (where Orlando will certainly exercise the option). Rumours about KLove getting extended, which they should do, but he does not seem to be aware of it. Portland and Batum do not appear to be close.

Batum and Courtney Lee would be 2 RFA's I would go after, although as outlined in Matt's trade thread I am on board with trying to trade/S&T for Batum. I would definitely look at WChandler as well coming back from China.
    I seem to remember a week ago there was a report out of SAC that they will not be extending Jason Thompson nor extending the QO so he might be a decent target to backup JValenciunas.

We do definitely need a PG, whether we keep Calderon or not, and each of Nash, DWilliams and RWestbrook offer different and appealing options, with Felton as another option. I am all over the place on what I would like to see here, but if we are not getting a young PG in the draft or deadline trade, I am not interested in Nash despite the musings of a Canadian homecoming retirement tour and the thoughts of ball control Nash/Calderon PG tandem.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Paul agreed not to opt-out of his final year (I thought I heard the Clippers would only agree to the trade if they had Paul for 2 years).

But definitely count me in for offering Westbrook max.

As for Gallo, I think I'd rather see Wilson Chandler in a Raptors uniform.
    You are 100% correct.

Post Thanks / Like

My first and foremost target would be Eric Gordon and then Westbrook. I'd offer either the max.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    My first and foremost target would be Eric Gordon and then Westbrook. I'd offer either the max.
    I love Gordon's game, but the dude is made of glass. I would think twice about offering him max. He's looking like the next Yao Ming (in terms of never playing a full season). He misses over 20 games per year, which is like a month and a half of basketball.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign me up for Gordon as well. He'll be a tough nut to grab since I would imagine NO giving him the max as well.

On the realistic side, I'd go for Batum, Chandler, Felton or Fields.

On the somewhat realistic (but most likely will not happen) side, I'd go for Westbrook, Gordon, Augustin, or Nash.

On the no way in hell will it happen, but a guy can dream side, I'd go for Howard.

Post Thanks / Like

The Max? Is it just me or should some of these second level stars be taking less than max deals to help build a team and afford themselves more individual success on a winning team.
    Westbrook is a hell of a player, but I think he has enough deficiencies to allow for a little less than max money, can his game evolve as his athleticism starts to fade?

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like them to pick up Goran Dragic. He could be our younger Calderon at age 27, he can still grow with this team, and should come at a fair price. He needs to improve his assist numbers but thats something he can learn. In the 2013 draft we can address our point guard situation

And Nicolas Batum would also be a great pick up for this team. We can also draft one of the stud SF in the draft with our pick this year.

We may have enough to sign both. If we pick up Batum I think it is time to amnesty Kleiza. His money would sign Dragic. And then we have the mind level and whatever is left to fill the rest of our team. Bayless should be let go as well. Jason Thompson would be a good pick up as well. We also need a vet at SG that can knock down three's. Farmar might be a good fit.

Jonas/Amir/Thompson
    Bargs/Ed Davis/Amir
    Batum/Rookie/J.J.
    DeMar/Farmar/Weems
    Calderon/Dragic
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Jan 18th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think these dates need to have come and gone before getting a true idea of free agent targets:

January 25th - deadline for rookie contracts to get extensions (Gordon, Batum, Westbrook might not be available come July 1st)
    March 15th - trade deadline
    June 28th - draft

Post Thanks / Like

Thunder have to extend Westbrook by the 25th or he will hit free agency. They are offering around $80M, he wants $95M. I think Westbrook could be on the market but you know there is going to be a bidding war for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Thunder have to extend Westbrook by the 25th or he will hit free agency. They are offering around $80M, he wants $95M. I think Westbrook could be on the market but you know there is going to be a bidding war for him.
    It sounds like what the Thunder want to sign him for is the most any other team will be able to offer on an average per season basis.

Teams can only offer 4 years with 4.5% raises.

OKC can offer 5 years and 7.5% raises.

If Westbrook signs an offer sheet of 4 years with the 4.5% raises, you can be sure OKC matches it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Players I feel will be on the radar (not my recommendations)

PG
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Ray Felton
    Steve Nash
    D.J. Augustine

SG
    Eric Gordon
    Landry Fields
    O.J. Mayo

SF
    Danilo Gallinari
    Nicolas Batum
    Boris Diaw
    Matt Barnes
    Andres Nocioni

Obviously they're not going to have a realistic shot at some of these guys.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It sounds like what the Thunder want to sign him for is the most any other team will be able to offer on an average per season basis.

Teams can only offer 4 years with 4.5% raises.

OKC can offer 5 years and 7.5% raises.

If Westbrook signs an offer sheet of 4 years with the 4.5% raises, you can be sure OKC matches it.
    It would only take one person to whisper to Westbrook's ear "do you want another 5 years of being Robin to Durant's Batman"

I hope BC is that person, hehehe

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Personally, I think these dates need to have come and gone before getting a true idea of free agent targets:

January 25th - deadline for rookie contracts to get extensions (Gordon, Batum, Westbrook might not be available come July 1st)
    March 15th - trade deadline
    June 28th - draft
    Very true, I just thought it would be fun to have the hypothetical conversation.

I'd take a look at Westbrook first. He puts up big numbers on a good team that is contending this year, Gordon on the other hand has been putting up numbers on a lottery team. Westbrook is also a better defender.

PG
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Ray Felton
    Steve Nash
    D.J. Augustine

SG
    Eric Gordon
    Landry Fields
    O.J. Mayo

SF
    Danilo Gallinari
    Nicolas Batum
    Boris Diaw
    Matt Barnes
    Andres Nocioni

Good list, I'd take a look at Westbrook, Fields, Gallinari, Batum, and Mayo in that order.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Very true, I just thought it would be fun to have the hypothetical conversation.
    Sorry, didn't mean to be 'that guy'. It is just so much can change between now and July 1st.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    It would only take one person to whisper to Westbrook's ear "do you want another 5 years of being Robin to Durant's Batman"

I hope BC is that person, hehehe
    But if he signs an offer sheet with another team, it will be OKC's choice to let him go or not. Unless they execute a sign and trade deal.

if Westbrook truly wants to be Batman, he'll have to sign the qualifying offer and become unrestricted in July 2013. The risk would be $73.3M on his part to get that opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

PG
    Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Ray Felton
    Steve Nash
    D.J. Augustine

SG
    Eric Gordon
    Landry Fields
    O.J. Mayo

SF
    Danilo Gallinari
    Nicolas Batum
    Boris Diaw
    Matt Barnes
    Andres Nocioni

Paul has opted in for the 2012-13 option. Him opting in was the only way the Clippers included both Eric Gordon and the Minny draft pick.

Thread Information