Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the age considered to be someone's PRIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the age considered to be someone's PRIME?

It's a term thrown around in basketball circles..."so and so is really just now coming into their prime".

It almost seems different based on position. Dirk as a PF had his best season last year 13(?) years in.

Steve Nash is almost 38 with not a lot of drop off. If anything a few better players in Phoenix and he would be back
    to 14pts 11ast a game.

Kobe in his 15th season looks better this year then he has in the last three, his team is falling to crap around him but that is besides the point.

Seems as though as a slasher your prime is 7 years in when you have the intelligence and the body to get it done but after 10 you better be able to hit a three ball.

Ray Allen plays the same today as he did at any point in the last decade. He is the only member of the big three that can claim that as well.

Do you factor that in when you build a team, knowing that if you build a franchise around a slasher (Wince) you only have a 3 - 5 year window to make solid runs once they peak? Is it better to build around a Bargnani who will likely go to season 15 with little drop off, or a DeRozan who unless he becomes deadly from range, will not stay at his peak for long?

my personal preference as a guy who used to slag Bargnani is that he may be our best long term building piece. As a guy who does not rely on freak athleticism and has a deadly shot there will be little drop off.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

i'd prolly say your prime is 32 years of age. it's when you realize you don't have that many years left and you aren't all about stats and championships. you are just about being the best you can be where you are and try to win a championship.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Very good question, and there probably isn't a right answer.

You're right about guys like Dirk and Nash certainly holding their own during the late stages of their careers.

But what about guys like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook? Once they inevitably loses their athleticism, unless they transforms their game to rely more on their brains, than their quickness, would we say their prime would be "mid 20s"? Similarly, Vince was in his prime (i.e. his best years) in his late 20s before his game fell off a shelf.

Comment

I'd say Nilanka hit it spot on. It really depends on the type of player and their athleticism.

Comment

I don't think it's really prime (usually referring to one year or a couple), it's more reaching their potential. It's getting comfortable with your game and understanding the game.

I think Bargs has now reached his potential. There will not be a sharp decline in a couple years from now. I think this is his game till around 32 or 33 and then will start to see decline. He won't necessarily peek but he might have his best season within those years when all the pieces around him are clicking.

I think you see that in a lot of players. You see a quicker decline in players stuck in a losing situation their whole career. Or if they have been a pass around patty.

I agree the players relying mostly on
          Athleticism probably decline at a quicker pace ( like Dominique).

Comment

Depends on the player. I would say anywhere from age 25 or 26 all the way up to 32. The back end is a little more gray because some of the truly elite play some of their best ball past 32, like Nash and MJ for example.

Using an example closer to home, you could argue Calderon hit his peak at age 26/27 and has been slowly diminishing since then.

Then you have a guy like Carter who peaked at around 24 or 25 and stayed at that level for a good six seasons.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Depends on the player. I would say anywhere from age 25 or 26 all the way up to 32. The back end is a little more gray because some of the truly elite play some of their best ball past 32, like Nash and MJ for example.

Using an example closer to home, you could argue Calderon hit his peak at age 26/27 and has been slowly diminishing since then.

Then you have a guy like Carter who peaked at around 24 or 25 and stayed at that level for a good six seasons.
              Only to have a resurgence 3 years later!

Well, you know, for like 14 games at least.

Andre Miller is another good example of a guy who peaked and seemed to plateau.

Comment

Working...
              X