No announcement yet.

DeRozan makes SI.com/Zac Lowe "10 Most Disappointing NBA Players this Season"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan makes SI.com/Zac Lowe "10 Most Disappointing NBA Players this Season"

• DeMar DeRozan, SG, Toronto Raptors

How fickle a compressed NBA season can be. Just two weeks ago, DeRozan was on our list of early surprises, having canned 10 of his first 16 threes in looking ready to grow into a second-option role alongside the red-hot Andrea Bargnani.

But Bargnani is out with an injury, DeRozan has missed 16 of his last 18 threes and he continues to look overmatched as a go-to ball-handler — a role he’s playing much less often this season under new coach Dwane Casey. DeRozan is shooting just 40 percent overall, he’s getting to the line — once his bread and butter — fewer times per minute than he did even in his rookie season, and he still struggles to pass out of traffic and on the move. DeRozan is averaging only 1.3 assists, and though he’s still just 22, it’s looking more like his NBA ceiling might be as the third option, at best, on a good team. Defense remains an issue against both shooting guards and small forwards, though continued time under Casey will help there.

Source

He's no doubt been a disappointment this season but the Raptors aren't ready to make a significant step forward and so they have the luxury of time to expend on him.

I think he needs to revert back to last year's style and use that jumper he was working on as a backup plan instead of trying to make apple juice out of oranges so to speak.

Comment

Maybe he imProves enough to keep him and reup at a reasonable price then finds his groove...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        He's no doubt been a disappointment this season but the Raptors aren't ready to make a significant step forward and so they have the luxury of time to expend on him.

I think he needs to revert back to last year's style and use that jumper he was working on as a backup plan instead of trying to make apple juice out of oranges so to speak.
        And even Lowe says recognizes how fickle they are as he made most surprising 2 weeks ago.

Slumps are that much more exaggerated in this lockout shortened season due to the tight schedule. A 2 week slump in the past meant anywhere from 5-7 games. Now it can be 8-10.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          And even Lowe says recognizes how fickle they are as he made most surprising 2 weeks ago.

Slumps are that much more exaggerated in this lockout shortened season due to the tight schedule. A 2 week slump in the past meant anywhere from 5-7 games. Now it can be 8-10.
          I don't believe at all DD is in a slump, but rather his 10 of 16 start was a fluke from 3. Let's face it he is not a shooter, and even when he got lucky his shooting mechanics were off the chart ugly. He is what he is...an overrated summer league slam dunker ala Weems.

Comment

While I have never been a fan of DeMar's game, I am still holding out hope that he will start to show some consistency to his game. He needs to really find out where his "spots" are and stop worrying about trying to be the man. He just needs find a role.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'm fine with demar doing what he is doing because he is developing. This year is one 68 game long practice. I would love to see him dvelop more that just a slash, and wat better way to try and work on weak aspects of your game against the NBAs best in real game situations. I just want him slashing and dunking on peeps in 2013/2014.

Comment

You mean 2012-2013. And finally someone who understands what this season is about for the raps. It's a 66 game practice

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Not to mention he and the coaches have far less time to help him out of it in practice. He's the kind of player who needs a lot of instruction at this point in his career and in my opinion he probably can't get it right now given the circumstances.

Comment

I was watching Hardwood classics last night. The Rockets against the Jazz in the 97 west finals. Well i saw Clyde drexler and he reminded me of DeRozan so i looked him up on google and checked his stats and compared them with DeMar's. They were awfully similar, i know a lot of you are going to say "well Clyde was one of the best players of all time and DeRozan isn't even close to that". But hear me out, Clyde Drexler wasn't a great shooter when he came into the NBA he was more of a slasher. As his career progressed he developed a jump shot. The only thing that sets them apart is that Clyde was a much better rebounder and passer. Btw this was just a comparison I'm not saying DeMar is the next Clyde Drexler, that would be pretty awesome though

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      I was watching Hardwood classics last night. The Rockets against the Jazz in the 97 west finals. Well i saw Clyde drexler and he reminded me of DeRozan so i looked him up on google and checked his stats and compared them with DeMar's. They were awfully similar, i know a lot of you are going to say "well Clyde was one of the best players of all time and DeRozan isn't even close to that". But hear me out, Clyde Drexler wasn't a great shooter when he came into the NBA he was more of a slasher. As his career progressed he developed a jump shot. The only thing that sets them apart is that Clyde was a much better rebounder and passer. Btw this was just a comparison I'm not saying DeMar is the next Clyde Drexler, that would be pretty awesome though
                      I think that is part of the frustration among Raptor fans. If DeMar isn't scoring he is almost useless. Drexler gave you rebounds (around 6) and assists (around 8) not to mention steals (around 2.5). If DeMar was contributing rebounds, assists, and steals like Drexler did, I don't think there would be so much disappointment.

To put it simply: Clyde was multi-dimensional. DeMar is struggling to be one-dimensional - hence the frustration.

Comment

Well tonight we had some nice stops and around 7 rebounds. I think casey is telling him to do other things on the floor if his shot aint falling and it looks like its working.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Well tonight we had some nice stops and around 7 rebounds. I think casey is telling him to do other things on the floor if his shot aint falling and it looks like its working.
                          I am guilty of this myself but it helps to look at the big picture rather than an individual game. DeMar is at the point in his career where the other things (defense, rebounding) should be consistent. I can live with the offensive struggles but the lack of consistency with the intangibles is a bitter pill to swallow.

Comment

hopefully he continues rebounding, passing and getting stops. That will definitely help him develop an all around game.

Comment

Working...
                            X