Casey's D - fine; Casey's O - ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey's D - fine; Casey's O - ???

I just hate Casey's offense, his rotations, assignments on offense and the offensive schemes are just rubbish... is it that hard to understand what the strengths and weaknesses are of your players?

-DeRozan is a slasher, with Casey he is taking mid-range and 3-balls.

-Kleiza is a post-up player and will knock down the 3, with Casey he's getting accidental shots and often gets the ball in bad positions or when shot clock is expiring (I don't expect him to perform well after the injury for another 5 games or so; but damn give him some looks in the post...).

-Barbosa is the only guy who seemingly is not affected by the chaos on O, but you don't want him to have the ball in his hands all the time as it was so often lately, cause he's not a good passer and will only create for himself. Ball should either be in hands of Calderon or somewhere in the post or flying across the perimeter (team play).... but it looks like Casey loves Barbosa running in circles (don't get me wrong, I like Barbosa and it's not his fault Casey can't come up with anything better).

-Amir should be always in place for offensive boards and score off of those and not sit at the top of the key and take 18 foot jumpers.

-Everybody else shouldn't act like they can score in multiple ways and only should take wide open shots and not try to make more than they're capable (James Johnson, Butler, Forbes etc). When you watch these guys, you think they only watch Wade's, Kobe's or some Monta Ellis highlights.

Of course Bargnani is missing and things are messed up, but come on, this is just ridiculous. There is no offensive idea whatsoever, every offensive possession is played randomly; they don't use every players strengths as they should; they rather expose every players weaknesses... it's amazing that the much improved defense still allows us to remain in the game sometimes...

Have you seen the line up the Raptors have?

Starting lineup with Bargnani out:

PG: Calderon
    SG: DeRozan
    SF: Butler or JJ
    PF: Davis
    C: Amir

Reserves with Bayless out:

PG: Forbes
    SG: Barbosa
    PF: Kleiza
    C: Gray

Third stringers:
    Carter, Magloire

The problem isn't Casey, it is the Raptors roster. Blame management or the players but not Casey. If the roster laid about above is not making it perfectly clear, go look at their career stats and, in the case of Butler, Carter, and Magloire, check their stats the last 2-3 seasons.

DeRozan is in situations to slash, do you really think Casey is screaming, "Shoot it! Shoot it!" Or better yet do you think Casey is yelling at DeRozan and other players to, "Miss! Miss!" their wide open looks?

Kleiza just came back from what many players have had their careers ended over. He hasn't played in a year - nevermind the pace and speed of the NBA.

Barbosa struggled up until the last 5 games. He is a black hole on O - he was in Phoenix, he was with JT, and he is with DC.

Amir should never leave the key? That will help spacing and allowing lanes for DeMar to shoot, er, drive.

As for the rest thinking they are Monta, Wade, Kobe, you nailed it. The Raptors don't have talent yet someone has to shoot the ball. Hence Forbes, Butler, JJ at times doing too much.

The current struggles and, more importantly success, is what this season was all about. Did you miss the press conferences?

it's amazing that the much improved defense still allows us to remain in the game sometimes...
    That sums up the season right there. Imagine when we get some talent.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Everyone knows we're trying to lose, right?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Have you seen the line up the Raptors have?

Starting lineup with Bargnani out:

PG: Calderon
        SG: DeRozan
        PF: Davis
        C: Amir

Reserves with Bayless out:

PG: Forbes
        SG: Barbosa
        PF: Kleiza
        C: Gray

Third stringers:
        Carter, Magloire

The problem isn't Casey, it is the Raptors roster. Blame management or the players but not Casey. If the roster laid about above is not making it perfectly clear, go look at their career stats and, in the case of Butler, Carter, and Magloire, check their stats the last 2-3 seasons.

DeRozan is in situations to slash, do you really think Casey is screaming, "Shoot it! Shoot it!" Or better yet do you think Casey is yelling at DeRozan and other players to, "Miss! Miss!" their wide open looks?

Kleiza just came back from what many players have had their careers ended over. He hasn't played in a year - nevermind the pace and speed of the NBA.

Barbosa struggled up until the last 5 games. He is a black hole on O - he was in Phoenix, he was with JT, and he is with DC.

Amir should never leave the key? That will help spacing and allowing lanes for DeMar to shoot, er, drive.

As for the rest thinking they are Monta, Wade, Kobe, you nailed it. The Raptors don't have talent yet someone has to shoot the ball. Hence Forbes, Butler, JJ at times doing too much.

The current struggles and, more importantly success, is what this season was all about. Did you miss the press conferences?

That sums up the season right there. Imagine when we get some talent.
        Exactly what I wanted to say so you saved me typing. Also I'm not sure why this is any of casey's problem. It is not the offensive play that is the issue but the huge lack of talent. Other than bargnani and Jose no one on this team can knock down shots with any regularity or dependability, starting with DD. He is not a slasher since he cannot handle the ball, he still cannot shoot, and he cannot pass so why exactly is he a starting SG in the NBA? Answer because this team sorely lacks real talent. I agree with Kleiza he will still be far better than our other wing players but he's had a year off recuperating from major surgery. Anyone who's had ACL surgery , or worse knows it is not easy and his surgery trumps all of those.

Comment

Pizzaman wrote: View Post
          Exactly what I wanted to say so you saved me typing. Also I'm not sure why this is any of casey's problem. It is not the offensive play that is the issue but the huge lack of talent. Other than bargnani and Jose no one on this team can knock down shots with any regularity or dependability, starting with DD. He is not a slasher since he cannot handle the ball, he still cannot shoot, and he cannot pass so why exactly is he a starting SG in the NBA? Answer because this team sorely lacks real talent. I agree with Kleiza he will still be far better than our other wing players but he's had a year off recuperating from major surgery. Anyone who's had ACL surgery , or worse knows it is not easy and his surgery trumps all of those.
          microfracture surgery...not ACL...to put this in perspective....McGrady is two years out from it and just finally playing with a little bit of bounce...still nowhere near showtime form. Penny Hardaway ended his career after it failed to take. If you read about what actually happens in the recovery process its enough to make you go mad to even get through it. 8 hours a day with your leg in a machine constantly moving it. It takes 1 year to heal and almost another year to get back to your former self.

so in short

Kleiza valuable piece for 2012-13
          Magloire - airballs free throws
          Alabi - D-League
          Bayless - injured
          Bargnani - injured
          Barbosa - streaky, needs a point guard to control him
          J.Johnson - not an offensive weapon - needs to work on that jump shot
          A.Johnson - PnR player if you give him ten seconds of shot clock he can get a decent jumper off
          Gray - just came back from a heart procedure, no idea what he has yet
          Butler - 2 for 1000 on wide open looks that I'm pretty sure I could hit more of
          DeRozan - has not adjusted to being the focus of teams defense
          Forbes - being forced to play backup PG
          Carter - osteoporosis...probably
          Davis - not an offensive weapon - has no shot whatsoever
          Calderon - he can shoot.....

the fact that we even get 80ppg is amazing
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I know it was microfracture surgery which is why I said he's coming off major surgery that trumps ACL surgery. I used the example because some of us have had ACL surgery ( twice for me) and we can relate how bad that is, yet Kleiza's is even harder to get over. We need to give him some time, but the other wings are garbage. Personally I like JJ's game better than Derozans game although neither can shoot worth a damn, and JJ is actually worse. Yet JJ is so much better at everything else, defense, shot blocking, passing, and even cutting.

Comment

Your saying DD can't shoot after 16 games. Go look at last years footage of demar after the all star break. He never missed a wide open jump shot from mid range. He scored in double digits the entire second half of the season

Comment

Triano's O fine; Triano's D ????

Solution, hire Triano to coach O?

BTW why did we let go on Alex English?

Comment

I am very happy with the offensive sets we just don't have the players that make the right decisions.

Comment

It's not really Casey's fault. If you watched any game we had, you would notice that our offense set-up are actually really good and it's partly thanks to Calderon's ability to find the open man. We've had so many great shots, wide open shots actually, but our current roster's talent is the problem. We're not making wide-open shots which are shot we should be making. So don't blame this solely on Casey, but rather put some blame on the ones that aren't making shots that should be making them.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                      ...We've had so many great shots, wide open shots actually, but our current roster's talent is the problem. We're not making wide-open shots which are shot we should be making. So don't blame this solely on Casey, but rather put some blame on the ones that aren't making shots that should be making them.

All true.

Comment

mike brown also sucks at offense and all the lakers players should be out of the league

Comment

Working...
                        X