Why isn't Kleiza starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
    We don't need all of our scorers on the floor at the same time "starting", we also need some scoring on the second unit. Spread out the talent with a good mix of O and D with each group. 1st unit is the best group, not necessarily the top individual players.
    With Bargnani out, Bayless back, and DeRozan missing, the best scorers are actually on the 2nd unit. Bayless, Barbosa, and Kleiza are all better scoring options than DeRozan (given slump), JJ (despite prowess in last 2 games), Amir, and ED. Calderon can score when he has to but I wouldn't label him a scorer either.

To be honest I'm not too concerned about who starts at SF. I would hope both Kleiza and JJ are reserves next season. If either are starting, then things didn't go as good in the off season as I had hoped. My preference though, at this time, would be to see Kleiza starting.

Comment

I just want him to stay healthy and get back into game shape. Only then will we know if he's a piece going forward. He is an interesting player and could be great going forward if his body (knee) can hold up. Starting is meaningless at this point in time IMO.

Comment

Frankly I am quite happy with Kleiza's progress considering the career threatening injury he suffered. He should continue to improve, and could serve as a good SF off the bench who can provide some offensive spark, spread the floor, and has a bit of a mean streak in him. I would still rather see James Johnson start though, because I think he is a special player defensively, I can see him develop into a less talented version of a Josh Smith. A solid rotation player.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

As people have already mentioned, it doesn't matter who starts, but who is getting the minutes. JJ needs the minutes so that he can continue to improve and we need kleiza to play,,because we need him to.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

With Bargnani's possible out for several weeks, Kleiza and JJ could start together. JJ at SF and Kleiza at PF, they both can help each other in defence.
            (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

4.6 million!

Hey everyone there is a small forward out there available for 4.6 million. He just turned 27 and has good size at 6'8 230lbs. He can hit the 3 and post up. He missed some time with an injury, but now that he is getting his legs back under him he is producing well off the bench.

In his last 3 games playing more than 20 minutes for the first time this year he is averaging 15.3ppg on over 45% from the field (41% from 3), adding 6.3 rpg 1 steal and 1 assist, he is also perfect 11/11 from the free throw line.

LINAS KLEIZA!

Why does it seem like many posters keep throwing out the idea of amnestying Linas, the guy has a decent contract and can produce. What am I missing?

Mods, feel free to merge this with the other threat about Linas if you want.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post

Why does it seem like many posters keep throwing out the idea of amnestying Linas, the guy has a decent contract and can produce. What am I missing?

because of the injury it seemed like the team passed him by. http://tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=385951
                good article on klieza

hopefully he can keep it up

Comment

Yeah, I think most of the amnesty talk was on the assumption that his knee would hinder him. But so far, it seems to be holding up well. And if this current level of production continues, Kleiza's a great piece to this team.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, I think most of the amnesty talk was on the assumption that his knee would hinder him. But so far, it seems to be holding up well. And if this current level of production continues, Kleiza's a great piece to this team.
                    I most definitely agree. Microfracture is a serious serious surgery. The only player I am aware of who had it and came back as good was Amar'e. The only two players I am aware of who had it and managed to have long productive careers afterward were Kenyon Martin and Antonio McDyess however neither had the same explosion they once did.

For all you younger RR readers, check out some YouTube videos of McDyess from his Nuggets and Suns days.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      Hey everyone there is a small forward out there available for 4.6 million. He just turned 27 and has good size at 6'8 230lbs. He can hit the 3 and post up. He missed some time with an injury, but now that he is getting his legs back under him he is producing well off the bench.

In his last 3 games playing more than 20 minutes for the first time this year he is averaging 15.3ppg on over 45% from the field (41% from 3), adding 6.3 rpg 1 steal and 1 assist, he is also perfect 11/11 from the free throw line.

LINAS KLEIZA!

Mods, feel free to merge this with the other threat about Linas if you want.
                      I don't think anyone should be amnestied right now. They should save it for when they need it, which isn't right now.

Comment

I've posted in the past that we should amnesty him or trade him to get rid of his salary, but he has been impressing me since he has come back from injury.

The only problem I have is the we need a bonafide starting SF, I see DeMar being a good third scoring option, Bargs can be a #1 or #2 option, and I think we need that SF to be our #1 or #2 scoring threat. The 2012 draft does not have an elite PG and I can't really see JV being that guy, so I think we are more likely to find a SF to address this concern.

We have two good reserve SF's (J.J. and Kleiza), how do we give both these guys minutes. I like what they both bring, but it is a waste to have one only playing garbage time. I suppose if there is an injury we have the depth to fight through that.

If we don't give up Kleiza or J.J., I think we should move Ed or Amir. We'll have Kleiza and J.J. that can both sub for that position as well.

It's nice top see we have have some good depth at the 2,3,4 positions, but I think this team really needs true starters.

Comment

Is $4.6M even a cap crushing amount? They should hold it and use it on Bargnani down the line if he has a Brandon Roy type injury or on Calderon if a star is willing to come here if they have the cap space... Or like I mentioned above, on L.K. if it's useful to do so if something comes up.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I most definitely agree. Microfracture is a serious serious surgery. The only player I am aware of who had it and came back as good was Amar'e. The only two players I am aware of who had it and managed to have long productive careers afterward were Kenyon Martin and Antonio McDyess however neither had the same explosion they once did.

For all you younger RR readers, check out some YouTube videos of McDyess from his Nuggets and Suns days.

Jason Kidd/John Stockton/Zach Randolph

And clearly T-mac made it back to full form...

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                              Jason Kidd/John Stockton/Zach Randolph

And clearly T-mac made it back to full form...

I wasn't aware of Kidd/Stockton/Z-Bo.

Comment

Grant Hill came back from it too but like McDyess he was only a shadow of the player he once was.

Penny never recovered. What a shame that was.

Comment

Working...
                                X