ESPN says EFF YOU to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN says EFF YOU to Canada

I didn't really know what category this falls under, but is anyone else getting supremely pissed off with the relationship between mainstream media and Canadian stuff? Every time I go on ESPN the raptors get no respect (and deservedly so because they suck), but I get the feeling that even if they were leading the east, they would still get less coverage than Washington and everyone would still be expecting them to fail cuz "basketball in canada lol".

This combined with ESPN region locking highlight videos so I can't see minute long clips because I'm not in the states. ESPN was always a garbage site with their ridiculous articles and so on, but with this latest change there is no reason to visit any more. Does anyone else feel this way? Bueller?

Darien wrote: View Post
    I didn't really know what category this falls under, but is anyone else getting supremely pissed off with the relationship between mainstream media and Canadian stuff? Every time I go on ESPN the raptors get no respect (and deservedly so because they suck), but I get the feeling that even if they were leading the east, they would still get less coverage than Washington and everyone would still be expecting them to fail cuz "basketball in canada lol".

This combined with ESPN region locking highlight videos so I can't see minute long clips because I'm not in the states. ESPN was always a garbage site with their ridiculous articles and so on, but with this latest change there is no reason to visit any more. Does anyone else feel this way? Bueller?
    It is not just ESPN, the Raptors get NO respect in the US period. And why should they? They are a laughingstock - and rightfully so. Minnesota was a laughing stock until last year when Kevin Love started putting up 30/30. This year they add Rubio and a great coach making them play better and they are getting national coverage. Likewise with Blake in Clipperland and the CP3 trade. Toronto is always going to have a stigma until they get some exciting players (think Vince) and start winning but winning cures most ills.

As for the content black outs, that is not just the Raptors or Sports. Try to watch a Colbert Report clip on Youtube or Hulu or whatever. That is contractual issues with content between entertainment providers north and south of the border. For example, sticking with Colbert Report, the Comedy Network has all right in Canada to that show.

Comment

I'm with Matt. The Raptors don't get respect because most feel they don't deserve. The Clippers were on the wrong end of jokes for most of their existence and they're based out of L.A.

The Raptors were the darlings of the league for a couple years when Vince was in his prime, attacking the basket and jumping over everybody.

Darien, why do you feel the Raptors deserve respect now?

Comment

they talk about the wizards more than the raptors... that is sad. The Wizards are worse than us, much worse than us(still don't get why we lost to them). Even kids at my school say the raptors suck, i don't bother explaining the word rebuild to them so i just ignore them. They'll jump on the bangwagon once we make the playoffs and then i get to say "i told you, bitch" lol

Comment

I hear you but none the less ESPN is the best sports site for me. Lots to read and quick to update. It's a USA centric sports world we live in.

Comment

I actually said the raptors DIDN'T deserve respect, but only because the team is bad. What angers me is that other teams which are just as bad (or worse) are still valued over the raptors. Basically, the raptors are not the worst team in the entire league, but we still get treated as if we were, year in and year out. And if we were the best team in the league, we probably wouldn't get our dues either.

As to ESPN region locking content, fuck them, yahoo sports is slightly worse but Ive had it with those douches.

Comment

I actually said the raptors DIDN'T deserve respect, but only because the team is bad. What angers me is that other teams which are just as bad (or worse) are still valued over the raptors. Basically, the raptors are not the worst team in the entire league, but we still get treated as if we were, year in and year out. And if we were the best team in the league, we probably wouldn't get our dues either.

As to ESPN region locking content, fuck them, yahoo sports is slightly worse but Ive had it with those douches.
              I think your blame is better placed with Bell (owners of TSN) and the CRTC than ESPN.

Comment

Any coverage the Wizards get is negative, and I honestly can't say that I see a whole lot of coverage about them period.
                The Raptors don't get a whole lot of attention on ESPN but neither do teams like Charlotte, Milwaukee, New Orleans, etc. I think it has less to do with the team being from Canada as it does the team being lousy.

Comment

Whether they're the worst or fifth worst, what does it matter? I think you care too much about what someone who doesn't watch the Raptors thinks. ESPN isn't God. They get stuff wrong all the time so why care?

Comment

what's the ratio of puckheads to ballhawks in canada? i dont go to espn at all. but, whats the content/article flow of canadian hockey teams and the blue jays on there?
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Whether they're the worst or fifth worst, what does it matter? I think you care too much about what someone who doesn't watch the Raptors thinks. ESPN isn't God. They get stuff wrong all the time so why care?
                      exactly, why do you care what people think over there? it's clear we live in the best country in the world. tell me what's the content flow of the raptors in vancouver? how bout halifax? st. johns? i'd bet its the same as espn and us sites. people are so focused on thinking that getting credit for something canadian in the states. they don't realize how that isn't going to change recognition in montreal or edmonton. i mean it doesnt make sense to me as to why we are so dependent on the states.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Who puts more resources and does more comprehensive coverage of basketball than ESPN? ESPN is an American network. Why should they be criticized for knowing what their market is?

The local media in Toronto do make a point of covering the Raptors with daily reports, articles, etc, keeping us informed.

Comment

Working...
                        X