View Poll Results: Should the Raptors trade Jose Calderon?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 48.57%
  • No

    18 51.43%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

Thread: Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

    » Tuesday, January 24 2012

    Would you put pressure to get traded to a contender? Jose Manuel Calderon: I don't think so, that's not me, that's not my personality. Marca.com

    Would you like to change teams to contend for the title? Do you think a trade is possible? Jose Manuel Calderon: I would like to have the opportunity to compete for something. Marca.com
    Source: HoopsHype.com

    HoopsHype.com isn't the original source but they've provided the translation.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I referenced this in the trade thread, and while I used it as a basis for a trade idea, I still look at it as he would be happy here if we get competitive. One question that he was asked was about Toronto and he spoke very highly of the city (although my spanish is a little rusty), it's cultural diversity and such. He also spoke well of Pau Gasol, hence why rumours will fly about contender and Lakers. While hoopshype posted this on the 24th I believe this was from questions posted on the 12th on Marca.

  3. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How do you all feel about him maybe really wanting to be elsewhere? Do you feel the Raptors should look to move him seeing as he's probably not a long term piece? I mean a team like the Bulls would probably love to have him as a change of pace PG and they have some really nice young players to deal such as Brewer and Watson.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you all feel about him maybe really wanting to be elsewhere? Do you feel the Raptors should look to move him seeing as he's probably not a long term piece? I mean a team like the Bulls would probably love to have him as a change of pace PG and they have some really nice young players to deal such as Brewer and Watson.
    Watson is playing very well for Chicago right now, the Bulls hold a team option for next year on him as well, the price at 3.5 mil is good, why would they bring in Jose?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you all feel about him maybe really wanting to be elsewhere? Do you feel the Raptors should look to move him seeing as he's probably not a long term piece? I mean a team like the Bulls would probably love to have him as a change of pace PG and they have some really nice young players to deal such as Brewer and Watson.
    I don't think he's saying out right he wants to be traded at all.
    Its the same thing with those quotes from Bargs being taken out of context, and some tidbits being lost in the translation.

    And no, we shouldn't trade him.
    In Masai we Trust.

  6. #6
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Because they're trying to win a championship right now, Calderon is battle tested on the grandest of stages, he's a champion, he's a prototypical PG, he's a change of pace PG that would compliment Derrick Rose, he rarely makes mistakes with the ball, he's a team player, a good influence on the young players and should Derrick Rose go down with injury he would be a far more reliable starting PG than Watson would be. The Bulls aren't in a rebuild, they're pushing for a title. The money isn't an issue here in my opinion. The track record says it's not an issue for the Bulls as well.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Caldy would be deadly in the knicks, where defence is taken the back seat. But he will provide melo with 35 pts amare with 30 and himself with 15 asts every game.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Because they're trying to win a championship right now, Calderon is battle tested on the grandest of stages, he's a champion, he's a prototypical PG, he's a change of pace PG that would compliment Derrick Rose, he rarely makes mistakes with the ball, he's a team player, a good influence on the young players and should Derrick Rose go down with injury he would be a far more reliable starting PG than Watson would be. The Bulls aren't in a rebuild, they're pushing for a title. The money isn't an issue here in my opinion. The track record says it's not an issue for the Bulls as well.
    Although the Bulls are a win now type of team, I think they are also in a win for a long time scenario. I just don't think Jose is a good fit going for longevity. Watson is in his 5th year in the league, not a newcomer by any means, and proved in the 3 games Rose was out (small sample) that he is more than capable of being a spot starter. He does a good job looking after the ball and facilitating an offence, and is a very good 3 point shooter, able to spread the floor.

    Now if we could get him in Toronto and sign him for a multi year deal I would be OK with that, but if he is happy in Chicago, I think he fits that team very well.

  9. #9
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah but they don't have anything to offer the Raptors in return.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't understand all the trade talk about Calderon...the man has the best assist to turnover ratio in the league and a good five - 7 years left in the tank barring injury

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I don't understand all the trade talk about Calderon...the man has the best assist to turnover ratio in the league and a good five - 7 years left in the tank barring injury
    35-37 year-old point guards are few and far between to put it mildly. Keep in mind that basketball is all about athleticism. Point guards usually go to pot around his age. The Raptors won't be winning for a few years, and they don't need to have a guy like that around to help them lose. He earns too much for the cap space the Raptors need going forward.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie phdmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    neither do the Bulls, especially for an $8M ticket for Jose. I doubt we'd be thrilled to get Kyle Korver or Taj Gibson in return. Gibson is a nice piece but duplicates a lot of what we have up front
    Ball Don't Lie

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie jamesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phdmac wrote: View Post
    neither do the Bulls, especially for an $8M ticket for Jose. I doubt we'd be thrilled to get Kyle Korver or Taj Gibson in return. Gibson is a nice piece but duplicates a lot of what we have up front
    Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jamesk wrote: View Post
    Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually
    Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir. And he was a college teammate of DeRozan at USC.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir.
    Better and Younger than whom, exactly?

    Amir Johnson is two years younger than Taj Gibson ...

    Not to mention Amirs numbers on the season are actually better than Gibsons.
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah but they don't have anything to offer the Raptors in return.
    I know this won't work but I'll take a Landry Fields please
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: HoopsHype.com

    HoopsHype.com isn't the original source but they've provided the translation.

    I think that their is only so much we need to read into this. What player in the NBA secretly doesnt want to play for a contender? That is a pretty natural inclination for anyone to have, if he wants to be traded that is something else, but I am sure he would like to play for a title who wouldn't? However I think he likes his role here as the main PG, he would like to win a championship but his role is one that he would like to keep.

    As for who could we trade him to? I think any team in the NBA who doesnt have a star PG would want him. I dont see the bulls making a move for him, come playoff time D.Rose is going to play like 40 min. every game, I dont think they would be willing to give anything decent up for a back up PG that is going to play 8-10 min.a night. Just my opinion.

    A Landry Fields for Jose Calderon deal with the Knicks could be looked into ... but I like how JJ is progressing at this point, and Jose has been playing great, maybe to dump some salary and get a good young piece it would make sense.

  18. #18
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I think that their is only so much we need to read into this. What player in the NBA secretly doesnt want to play for a contender? That is a pretty natural inclination for anyone to have, if he wants to be traded that is something else, but I am sure he would like to play for a title who wouldn't? However I think he likes his role here as the main PG, he would like to win a championship but his role is one that he would like to keep.
    He's entering the point of his career when time is a rare commodity.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chicago has numbers pieces that would be nice to add in Watson, Brewer, Asik and Gibson. Those 4 players would be the only ones of interest on there roster outside the obvious and unavailable Rose, Noah and Deng. I appreciate Jose and I'm in no rush to see him go but if he is going out the door I hope it's to a good situation like Chicago. The guy is a stand up guy who plays his heart out and deserves to play for something of value. He'd be one of the few who would get a standing ovation upon his return and deservingly so.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The original thread comes from a question answer tweet thing that Calderon did either this week or last week. It's a good translation, but the general feeling from some of the other questions is that he really enjoys playing in Toronto. I'd like to see the team build with him than trade him. There's no real PG behind him and he'd be a great mentor for a young PG trying to find his way. We need to secure a Myck Kabongo or some other young quick PG and have Jose teach the craft. That spanish thread also had a question about where Calderon would like to retire and, if I remember correctly, he would like to retire in Spain. There's not really a ton of new things to talk about with this thread. it's all things we've heard before, Calderon didn't say he wanted to leave he just said he wants to compete and it will turn into what we need from a trade. Same story as usual

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •