Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you all feel about him maybe really wanting to be elsewhere? Do you feel the Raptors should look to move him seeing as he's probably not a long term piece? I mean a team like the Bulls would probably love to have him as a change of pace PG and they have some really nice young players to deal such as Brewer and Watson.
    I don't think he's saying out right he wants to be traded at all.
    Its the same thing with those quotes from Bargs being taken out of context, and some tidbits being lost in the translation.

And no, we shouldn't trade him.

Comment

I personally don't read anything into this quote about Calderon wanting out of Toronto. If anything, I'd be a pretty upset fan if one of the players on the team I cheered for DID NOT want to play for a contender! It should be a source of motivation for each player individually and the team collectively, to improve and play hard, to make the team they're on a contender! IMO, that's all he was saying... he loves Toronto and wishes the Raptors were a contender!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        I don't think he's saying out right he wants to be traded at all.
        Its the same thing with those quotes from Bargs being taken out of context, and some tidbits being lost in the translation.

And no, we shouldn't trade him.
        CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I personally don't read anything into this quote about Calderon wanting out of Toronto. If anything, I'd be a pretty upset fan if one of the players on the team I cheered for DID NOT want to play for a contender! It should be a source of motivation for each player individually and the team collectively, to improve and play hard, to make the team they're on a contender! IMO, that's all he was saying... he loves Toronto and wishes the Raptors were a contender!
        Exactly my point. I'm not voting (yet) as I would like Jose longer term (cheaper) to mentor and stay. HOWEVER if it nets us some serious pieces I would consider it certainly, but I think longer term he stays. The only fit right now I see is with the Lakers because of Jose's skill set and Pau's existence (at least for now) in Lakerland. Without involving a 3rd team I don't see much in return beyond DMorris (and he is not enough).

Comment

geez, I hate when those media types ask these leading questions to try and stir up controversy and get attention, and then get the attention through people reading the questions as the answers, when the player doesn't say that at all. Dam attention seeking media do it every day and bs like that gets burned in peoples' minds, ugh.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            geez, I hate when those media types ask these leading questions to try and stir up controversy and get attention, and then get the attention through people reading the questions as the answers, when the player doesn't say that at all. Dam attention seeking media do it every day and bs like that gets burned in peoples' minds, ugh.
            And then add in the so called "Fans" who have thinly veiled agendas regardless of how Jose and Andrea play. Trade him while his value is high type conversations etc. Downright depressing.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
              And then add in the so called "Fans" who have thinly veiled agendas regardless of how Jose and Andrea play. Trade him while his value is high type conversations etc. Downright depressing.
              Well, Calderon will be 31 this year. If a realistic timeline for this team to compete for a playoff spot is the 2013-2014 season (and it might be a year beyond that) he will be 33 or 34. The reality is that it's unlikley they are going to be relying on a 34 year old PG at that point. So, I think the idea of moving him is entirely justified.

Andrea is a tougher case. He'll be 27 this year and will be in his prime for the next few seasons. Now, they'll be wasted years for him cause this team isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years but I am not sure you get value for trading him. This will only be a tough choice if the Raps pick #1 overall and are staring at Davis. Then it will be an issue. Until then, Bargs isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Not to mention Toronto already tried to trade him to Charlotte and he hasn't ONCE complained about that to the media or anything ala Lamar Odom. He's a total Professional and has spoken often of his love of Toronto.

The writer was asking about him getting traded, and if he'd want to be traded to a contenter. As a few have said earlier: OBVIOUSLY if someone was traded, they'd want to go to a contender over NOT going to a contender.
                Jose isn't saying anything here.

Whether or not we can get some a good return on him is another story.
                If we can get better as a team, then it'd be silly not to consider it, but Jose offers SO MUCH to the team, that it'd be hard for any deal to truly benefit this team more than having his leadership on the roster.

Comment

Calderon should not be traded just for the sakes of trading him. He would be worth more to this team next year as an expiring contract, and with the strong possibility that we do not get another PG to replace him. So I voted no.

However if a good deal came along that can help the team improve then yeah for sure, but that's probably not going to happen.

Comment

Yeah but they don't have anything to offer the Raptors in return.
                    I know this won't work but I'll take a Landry Fields please
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      Well, Calderon will be 31 this year. If a realistic timeline for this team to compete for a playoff spot is the 2013-2014 season (and it might be a year beyond that) he will be 33 or 34. The reality is that it's unlikley they are going to be relying on a 34 year old PG at that point. So, I think the idea of moving him is entirely justified.
                      Bingo! This has nothing to do with whether or not he wants to stay in Toronto. It's just the reality of the situation. Calderon will not be the PG who gets us over the hump in 3-5 years.

Comment

Woah, I think some are little sensitive. I never suggested he doesn't like Toronto. He can want out of Toronto and still like Toronto and still enjoy being in Toronto. His career aspirations no longer align with the Raptors long term plans. That's reason enough for both sides to seek a separation when a good time presents itself.

Comment

Woah, I think some are little sensitive. I never suggested he doesn't like Toronto. He can want out of Toronto and still like Toronto and still enjoy being in Toronto. His career aspirations no longer align with the Raptors long term plans. That's reason enough for both sides to seek a separation when a good time presents itself.
                          I think you're missing the point about the criticism of what you did suggest in creating this thread, or avoiding the point by trying to re-direct the discussion.

Comment

What am I ignoring again?

Comment

What am I ignoring again?
                              ummm, responses are to the title of your thread and the quotes you cited. You clearly were suggesting Jose secretly wants to be traded to a contender, and that's the issue people are responding to. No? People are using the "he likes Toronto" as only part of the argument that the "interview" you cited doesn't say what you suggested in creating this thread to begin with.

Comment

Note the question mark at the end of the thread title.

Comment

Working...
                                X