View Poll Results: Should the Raptors trade Jose Calderon?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 48.57%
  • No

18 51.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    And then add in the so called "Fans" who have thinly veiled agendas regardless of how Jose and Andrea play. Trade him while his value is high type conversations etc. Downright depressing.
    Well, Calderon will be 31 this year. If a realistic timeline for this team to compete for a playoff spot is the 2013-2014 season (and it might be a year beyond that) he will be 33 or 34. The reality is that it's unlikley they are going to be relying on a 34 year old PG at that point. So, I think the idea of moving him is entirely justified.

Andrea is a tougher case. He'll be 27 this year and will be in his prime for the next few seasons. Now, they'll be wasted years for him cause this team isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years but I am not sure you get value for trading him. This will only be a tough choice if the Raps pick #1 overall and are staring at Davis. Then it will be an issue. Until then, Bargs isn't going anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention Toronto already tried to trade him to Charlotte and he hasn't ONCE complained about that to the media or anything ala Lamar Odom. He's a total Professional and has spoken often of his love of Toronto.

The writer was asking about him getting traded, and if he'd want to be traded to a contenter. As a few have said earlier: OBVIOUSLY if someone was traded, they'd want to go to a contender over NOT going to a contender.
    Jose isn't saying anything here.

Whether or not we can get some a good return on him is another story.
    If we can get better as a team, then it'd be silly not to consider it, but Jose offers SO MUCH to the team, that it'd be hard for any deal to truly benefit this team more than having his leadership on the roster.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Calderon should not be traded just for the sakes of trading him. He would be worth more to this team next year as an expiring contract, and with the strong possibility that we do not get another PG to replace him. So I voted no.

However if a good deal came along that can help the team improve then yeah for sure, but that's probably not going to happen.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah but they don't have anything to offer the Raptors in return.
    I know this won't work but I'll take a Landry Fields please
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Well, Calderon will be 31 this year. If a realistic timeline for this team to compete for a playoff spot is the 2013-2014 season (and it might be a year beyond that) he will be 33 or 34. The reality is that it's unlikley they are going to be relying on a 34 year old PG at that point. So, I think the idea of moving him is entirely justified.
    Bingo! This has nothing to do with whether or not he wants to stay in Toronto. It's just the reality of the situation. Calderon will not be the PG who gets us over the hump in 3-5 years.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Woah, I think some are little sensitive. I never suggested he doesn't like Toronto. He can want out of Toronto and still like Toronto and still enjoy being in Toronto. His career aspirations no longer align with the Raptors long term plans. That's reason enough for both sides to seek a separation when a good time presents itself.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah, I think some are little sensitive. I never suggested he doesn't like Toronto. He can want out of Toronto and still like Toronto and still enjoy being in Toronto. His career aspirations no longer align with the Raptors long term plans. That's reason enough for both sides to seek a separation when a good time presents itself.
    I think you're missing the point about the criticism of what you did suggest in creating this thread, or avoiding the point by trying to re-direct the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

What am I ignoring again?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I ignoring again?
    ummm, responses are to the title of your thread and the quotes you cited. You clearly were suggesting Jose secretly wants to be traded to a contender, and that's the issue people are responding to. No? People are using the "he likes Toronto" as only part of the argument that the "interview" you cited doesn't say what you suggested in creating this thread to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Note the question mark at the end of the thread title.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Note the question mark at the end of the thread title.
    Yeah, okay. *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phdmac wrote: View Post
    neither do the Bulls, especially for an $8M ticket for Jose. I doubt we'd be thrilled to get Kyle Korver or Taj Gibson in return. Gibson is a nice piece but duplicates a lot of what we have up front
    Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jamesk wrote: View Post
    Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually
    Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir. And he was a college teammate of DeRozan at USC.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir.
    Better and Younger than whom, exactly?

Amir Johnson is two years younger than Taj Gibson ...

Not to mention Amirs numbers on the season are actually better than Gibsons.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Better and Younger than whom, exactly?

Amir Johnson is two years younger than Taj Gibson ...

Not to mention Amirs numbers on the season are actually better than Gibsons.
    My bad. I assumed Gibson was younger.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy mistake. Amir has been in the league for a long time.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raps interested in moving Calderon?

Keep in mind the source. Stein is brutal with Raptor rumours.

In a recent interview with the Spanish newspaper Marca, Raptors point guard Jose Calderon didn't deny that he'd "like to have the opportunity to compete for something."

That doesn't mean he's poised to ask for a trade -- "I don't think so, that's not me, that's not my personality," Calderon said -- but the 30-year-old left the undeniable sense that he wouldn't oppose a move away from the rebuilding Raps if the opportunity materializes.

You can safely assume, meanwhile, that the Raps feel the same way.
    Sources with knowledge of Toronto's thinking say that the team is not just going to give Calderon away, especially when he's back to supplying a typically efficient 10.6 points and 8.7 assists nightly, but I'm told that the Raps are indeed open to moving him.

You'll recall that they already did agree to trade him to Charlotte in the summer of 2010 in a Tyson Chandler deal that the Bobcats ultimately backed out of. Now? Sources say that the Raps, if not outright shopping Calderon, have let it be known they're willing to listen, since he's no longer regarded as their long-term answer at the point.

That's because shedding Calderon's nearly $11 million salary for next season would be another step in the reset that began with Bryan Colangelo's drafting of Jonas Valanciunas in June and the hiring of the defensive-minded Dwane Casey as the new coach. It's an open secret north of the border that the Raptors, as much as they've loved Bargnani's increased production and honest attempts to try harder on D under Casey, won't be heartbroken if their 2011-12 record nets another prime pick in the next draft.

The biggest obstacle to a Calderon deal between now and the March 15 trading deadline is that the Raps would surely want a point guard in return, which would appear to rule out teams looking for point guards -- like the Lakers and Knicks -- unless a third or fourth team joins in. Another option for Toronto, if shedding Calderon's salary is needed for cap space this summer, is merely releasing him via the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement since the Raps didn't use it before this season.

Source: ESPN.com Weekend Dime
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 28th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind the source. Stein is brutal with Raptor rumours.

Source: ESPN.com Weekend Dime

But assuming there is merit and actual interest in Calderon, what teams would be interested in him? The only teams I can see would be:

Lakers
    maybe Jazz
    maybe Magic

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    But assuming there is merit and actual interest in Calderon, what teams would be interested in him? The only teams I can see would be:

Lakers
    maybe Jazz
    maybe Magic
    Lakers would be a fit as we have been saying, and Morris would be the key point in a return and picks or what-not. Jazz, means we would have to take back Devin Harris, and I am not big on that idea, and the Magic would not have much of interest.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raps trading Calderon?

ESPN is reporting that the raptors are accepting offers on Calderon. Well they aren't actively shopping him they have made it know they are listening to offers.

How do you feel about this? Do you think after the article came out about Jose wanting to play for a contender triggered this?

Personally, I'm hoping that it is just another runout and he stays on board. This guy is a pure professional and a good mentor for the younger guys. Also, he is Playing great ball.

What teams do you think would be interested?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information