View Poll Results: Should the Raptors trade Jose Calderon?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 48.57%
  • No

18 51.43%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that's good unless it is for another good point guard that is young or that is contract runs over at the end of the season. Otherwise there's no reason to trade him. He's playing good this year, true leader. And without him, there's no insurance the Raptors will be able to get a new starting point guard for next season. Bayless is not the answer to me.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Keep in mind the source. Stein is brutal with Raptor rumours.

Source: ESPN.com Weekend Dime
    It would make sense for the raptors to move Calderon's salary IF the right deal presented itself. This would give Bayless a chance to start at the point and hopefully give us some serviceable players in return. And free up some cap space.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Bayless isn't even on the roster next year.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I get the link to the ESPN article?

No, I do not think that this is a good thing unless we get a solid young point guard or a nice draft pick, two things I do not see happening considering the only teams I could imagine a deal with would be teams in a playoff picture. I could see an LA deal happen with the Lakers, maybe a deal with utah? I could imagine the knicks dying to get claderon with their PG's, or Goldenstate maybe.

It would take a real specific deal for me to buy in to this, but who knows. Dont think we should trade him at all.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

id trade him in a heart beat if the deal includes a 2012 first round pick..... lets face it.. Jose may be playing well right now but for how long??? when is the hammy going to act up again???

also Jose has been a true pro since joining the Raps...i think he deserves to play for somthing. hes showed his loyalty to the Raps. i respect him for that.

the obvious choices for winners

Lakers
    Magic
    Boston
    New York

I personaly think hed fit nice with the Lakers..maybe it gets Gasol going again for them..

Minni would be my choice of trading parter since kahn is a moron LOL
    they LOVE PG's & Jose could mentor Rubio..

if we could manage to get minni's 2012 1st rounder Id even consider taking beasley off there hands

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sell high. Bayless will do. Let's keep the tank rolling. If this yields us another player and a pick moving forward, why not. I think that this is a result of a wait and see approach that BC is taking with this team. I mean, if Bargs didn't go down and DD is his usual self as a result of Calderon's improved play, this topic wouldn't surface. However, Bargs is gone, DD still thinks he's in the Drew League yet the team continues to play hard every night. Good signs in my opinion (minus DD's pathetic regression). Do it now and do it fast.

Are you listening NYC? I'm not sure if this works but Landry Fields would be very nice at the SF spot for us!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

The article is on hoopshype. It's the main page

Post Thanks / Like

This thread should be merged with the other thread on Jose wanting to be traded.

Edit: Yayy
    Last edited by AJ360; Sat Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A trade with the lakers would be awesome.
    Some thing like Jose for Blake, Walton and a first rounder.

And then get them to take barbosa for their TPE from the odom trade for the second first rounder.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see Utah being willing to ship out Devin Harris. His name has already come up in rumors but just not involving the Raptors. I'm not saying I'm all for it but I am saying that's probably the main piece they'd want involved.

I don't like anything the Lakers could offer. The Raptors would be better off letting Calderon walk or amnestying him rather than do a deal with the Lakers.

As for the Magic, well, I don't see much I like that would work beyond JJ Redick and I don't know if they would be willing to move him. This: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wtaxhd

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I could see Utah being willing to ship out Devin Harris. His name has already come up in rumors but just not involving the Raptors. I'm not saying I'm all for it but I am saying that's probably the main piece they'd want involved.

I don't like anything the Lakers could offer. The Raptors would be better off letting Calderon walk or amnestying him rather than do a deal with the Lakers.

As for the Magic, well, I don't see much I like that would work beyond JJ Redick and I don't know if they would be willing to move him. This: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wtaxhd
    Regarding Lakers, unless a 3rd team was involved. I like Morris and their draft picks.

I like the Magic trade. Orton is expiring and unrestricted next year as the Magic did not pick up his option on his rookie deal. Redick has one year left at $6M in '12-13 - the elusive 3 and D off the bench. Although if it is just him and DD he could ver well be a starter given how DeMar is playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya Redick would be a sweet addition to this team. We may have to take Duhon back in a trade

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be great if we saw a three team trade resulting in Brandon Jennings coming here if they really are shopping Jose ( key word IF)
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Amir probably has more trade value than Davis at this point in the season. Regardless of recent play by the two.

I think a package of Jose, Amir and Barbosa, could net us a real nice piece for the future.

Still don't want to see Jose go, but if we can get a solid core piece going forward, I'd be impressed.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Not holding my breath on Jose actually getting traded

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Not holding my breath on Jose actually getting traded
    Totally agreed. Remember the source of the rumour. Marc Stein knows as much about the Raptors as a drunk knows sobriety.

Raptors Republic Rookie big_chris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless the plan is to be very aggressive in free agency, or unless a team needs him bad enough to include a good asset, I am happier holding onto him for the season. If it's just some other middle of the road young guy, I am not very interested unless he brings something that makes him particularly valuable to us.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Regarding Lakers, unless a 3rd team was involved. I like Morris and their draft picks.

I like the Magic trade. Orton is expiring and unrestricted next year as the Magic did not pick up his option on his rookie deal. Redick has one year left at $6M in '12-13 - the elusive 3 and D off the bench. Although if it is just him and DD he could ver well be a starter given how DeMar is playing.
    Matt, I'm wondering if in 5 years, you'll be switching your avatar from having BC in it to Demar. I think it will take that long for DD to get it as well. No way in hell that Orlando would let go of Redick. SVG's game plan always involves 2 to 3, 3-point shooters in the court at any given time.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are quite a few teams that could use Calderon's skills, outside of the ones mentioned in this thread recently:

NJ (insurance if DWill leaves)
    Detroit (mentor for Knight)
    Indiana
    Milwaukee (in case Jennings is on the block)
    Charlotte (in case Augustin bolts)
    Miami
    Phoenix (in case Nash bolts)

As for Orlando, getting a pass first guard may not be the smartest move, especially if they plan to keep Hedo. I'm sure they don't want another 'ball' situation on that team.

Jose can also be a solid backup guard, so that could increase his stock for a lot of teams that already have a solid PG (Chicago, Boston, OKC, etc). This is especially useful next year when he has an expiring contract. Lots of possibilities really.. I do hope that if he does get traded there is something really valuable coming back to us (like a lottery pick).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Matt, I'm wondering if in 5 years, you'll be switching your avatar from having BC in it to Demar. I think it will take that long for DD to get it as well. No way in hell that Orlando would let go of Redick. SVG's game plan always involves 2 to 3, 3-point shooters in the court at any given time.
    I'm not sure I understand the reference to the BC avatar. I've always been a fan of BC. He took huge gambles that I didn't disagree with they just didn't work out. However even if they had I think the Raptors had a ceiling of a 2nd round exit. For the first time in 5 years he is trying to build a contender versus a competitor. I like the shift.

As for DeMar, I was comparing he and Redick at this time. I didn't say trade Redick for DeMar. At this time given DeMar's play, Redick should realistic get strong consideration starting over DeMar if they were on the same team.

I still maintain DeMar snaps out of his funk soon.

Thread Information