No announcement yet.

Brandon Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Jennings for me please. I agree with much of what's been said, good and bad, but fall on the side of those who think Jennings may not be anything more than a selfish PG. Connections (to Demar) are never good enough reasons to acquire somebody. We need, as most teams do, a pass first PG. No team has ever won a championship with a shoot-first PG (that I can recall). The closest is the Pistons, but Thomas, while being a scorer, was hardly a total ball hog. Jennings shortcomings I think are showcased by how the Bucks tried to build around him and Bogut. You have players like Jax, Dunleavy, Delfino, Livingston...all players with decent passing skill. In addition, some of those guys replaced black holes like Maggette and Salmons. Clearly with them and Jennings the team didn't move the ball around more and they were hoping maybe some more team oriented guys would help. This is not something I want. I don't want the team to have to try so hard to hide weaknesses. We all know that doesn't work and the only real solution is to have the player step up(hopefully Bargs from now on) or get rid of him. Maybe a team can win with a score first PG, but even then it would have to be a real star, like Rose (and you could argue he's a decent distributor who's still getting better) and Westbrook (not a natural PG, so a bit unfair to lay the same criticism on him).

Comment

• I think Jennings has a lot of potential. I'd hope Colangelo is thinking of a way to make a deal happen. The kid's just 22 years old. He has plenty of room to mature.

Raps fans tend to assume that there are just 2 types of point guards (i.e. "pass first" like Calderon, or "shoot first" like Bayless), but Jennings seems like a happy median. He can light it up when he wants to, and is still a good distributor. Let's not underestimate the Casey-factor either. With a little encouraging guidance, there's no reason why Jennings can't become more selective with his shots.

As for Jonas's transition next year, Jennings is perfectly capable of running a pick 'n' roll.

Taking on Jackson's contract doesn't concern me either. As an expiring contract next year, there's a good chance he's traded before next year's deadline.

Comment

• I'd much rather we don't give up anything for him and go after Dragic in the summer. IMO He's pretty much the same as Jennings but with better court vision. Much better for the future if we don't give up first rounders/depth.

Jennings IMO is on the shoot happy side like Bayless.

Comment

• FYI, I've merged the three Brandon Jennings threads into one super thread.

They're all essentially covering the same idea.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            I'd much rather we don't give up anything for him and go after Dragic in the summer. IMO He's pretty much the same as Jennings but with better court vision. Much better for the future if we don't give up first rounders/depth.

Jennings IMO is on the shoot happy side like Bayless.
            Agree. I am a bit of a Dragic fan and always remeber when he took over the Suns team when Nash was hurt a couple of years ago. I think he is a better PG and far more balanced than Jennings. I have to admit I am a bit "scared" of Jennings general demeanor eg. he has already said he is scouting big market teams! And he is still on his rookie contract. I am thru putting up with shit like that. Dragic as a ufa (not give up a first and others) is a much better proposition.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              Agree. I am a bit of a Dragic fan and always remeber when he took over the Suns team when Nash was hurt a couple of years ago. I think he is a better PG and far more balanced than Jennings. I have to admit I am a bit "scared" of Jennings general demeanor eg. he has already said he is scouting big market teams! And he is still on his rookie contract. I am thru putting up with shit like that. Dragihc as a ufa (not give up a first and others) is a much better proposition.
              He's doing the same thing with the Rockets this year. In the 3 games so far Lowry has been hurt he's been averaging 20 pts and 8 assists as well as around 3-5 rebounds.

Comment

• Marc Spears throws water on the fire...

Bucks guard Brandon Jennings won't be traded, source close to the situation said.
                http://twitter.com/#!/SpearsNBAYahoo

Comment

• If Bogut goes to Golden State, then one would imagine Curry or Ellis would be coming back. If that happened, Jennings could be on the move.

DeRozan reuniting with Jennings could be interesting. I think Casey would bring out the best in Jennings. If you look at Skiles and the issues he has had over the years in Phoenix, Chicago, and Milwaukee, it seems (pure speculation on my part) communication is not his strong suit. He has a way in which things should be done in his opinion and people are to tow the line accordingly. If they do not, I don't see a lof communication going on to resolve disputes. Again that is 100% speculation of reading media bits over the years. Casey, on the other hand, is a very strong communicator and motivator while preaching and practicing professional at all times.

Anyways, I don't see Bogut or Jennings being moved and my opinions of Skiles hardly matter either. BUT I would be down with something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=8x2wv63

Toronto would also send a protected draft pick to Milwaukee.

I like it from Toronto's perspective because they retain the same salary cap space for this summer meaning they would have about $10M to sign a solid rotational/above average starter or two. They would keep Calderon and arguably have the best 1-2 PG punch in the league - Calderon and injuries next year becomes much less of a concern (at least for me). Plus they would then have Birds Rights on Calderon, DD, JJ, and Jennings next summer when they are all up for renewal. Finally, Toronto would have eased the log jam at PF.

Not sure if GSW would take on Jackson again but they would get the C they have been desperate to obtain.

Not sure if MIL would take on Biendris but they certainly get 2 young additions to their front in addition to Curry - although chronic injuries are a concern with him now.

Comment

• unlike GS would give up that much just for bogut. bayless and captain jack... meh
                    Last edited by koncept; Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 AM.
                    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• I can't see the trade (damn work filters). But I assume I like it, lol.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                        unlike GS would give up that much just for bogut. bayless and captain jack... meh
                        You are probably right.

However, they do get the C they are desperate for and they shed Biedrins contract. They really messed up amnestying Charlie Bell who had 1 year and $4M left on his contract versus Biedrins.

Comment

• The Bucks just got the 8th seed.. I'm not sure if they would be willing to give up their core at the dead line just to see that playoff birth get extinguished.

I think Bogut to GSW makes sense - but in the off season. GSW wouldn't trade Curry for Gasol or Rondo.. not sure if GSW would be willing to trade him for Bogut who is often injured.

I think Ellis is the expendable one.. if GSW can trade Ellis for Bogut I think they do it.

I had considered Jennings to the Raps at one point, but I think he'll be asking for a lot of money when his contract is renewed.. probably $12M+.. and he's not worth that, IMO. I'd rather try and get a second pick and try and get Marshall instead.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The Bucks just got the 8th seed.. I'm not sure if they would be willing to give up their core at the dead line just to see that playoff birth get extinguished.

I think Bogut to GSW makes sense - but in the off season. GSW wouldn't trade Curry for Gasol or Rondo.. not sure if GSW would be willing to trade him for Bogut who is often injured.

I think Ellis is the expendable one.. if GSW can trade Ellis for Bogut I think they do it.

I had considered Jennings to the Raps at one point, but I think he'll be asking for a lot of money when his contract is renewed.. probably $12M+.. and he's not worth that, IMO. I'd rather try and get a second pick and try and get Marshall instead.

With Bogut out indefinitely, I don't see trading him as a major disruption.

Gasol is 31 and owed $18M per year. I hadn't heard Rondo offered for Curry. Bogut have 'freak accident syndrome' versus anything chronic and is only 27 paid 2/3's of what Gasol is.

The biggest issue with Curry now - for GSW keeping him and any team acquiring him - appears to be his ankle which is close to being labeled 'chronic' at this point.

If Jennings is asking a lot of money, so be it. It doesn't mean he'll get what he is asking. By obtaining him, Toronto would have his rights in restricted free agency. They could also extend him prior to allowing a team to make an offer. 4 years at $8.5M per season guaranteed might be tough to turn down. Then take the remaining $5M and give it to Jose for 3 years. $13.5M for 3 years after next season would be the same amount spent next year ($10.5M on Jose and $3.2 on Jennings). That would leave the Raptors with around $12M to re-sign DD and JJ availing of Bird Rights without fear of the luxury tax.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Gasol is 31 and owed $18M per year. I hadn't heard Rondo offered for Curry. Bogut have 'freak accident syndrome' versus anything chronic and is only 27 paid 2/3's of what Gasol is.

The biggest issue with Curry now - for GSW keeping him and any team acquiring him - appears to be his ankle which is close to being labeled 'chronic' at this point.

If Jennings is asking a lot of money, so be it. It doesn't mean he'll get what he is asking. By obtaining him, Toronto would have his rights in restricted free agency. They could also extend him prior to allowing a team to make an offer. 4 years at $8.5M per season guaranteed might be tough to turn down. Then take the remaining $5M and give it to Jose for 3 years. $13.5M for 3 years after next season would be the same amount spent next year ($10.5M on Jose and $3.2 on Jennings). That would leave the Raptors with around $12M to re-sign DD and JJ availing of Bird Rights without fear of the luxury tax.
                              Wow. You know your info. Damn Matt..

But I really like that trade above, and it helps Golden State more than people believe. Milwaukee now would have a log jam at the power forward though with Ilyasova, Sanders, Davis, and Udoh. But that could be beneficial as well.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Wow. You know your info. Damn Matt..

But I really like that trade above, and it helps Golden State more than people believe. Milwaukee now would have a log jam at the power forward though with Ilyasova, Sanders, Davis, and Udoh. But that could be beneficial as well.

Starting Lineup could be...

Milwaukee: Stephen Curry, Carlos Delfino, Luc Mbah Moute, Ed Davis/Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sander/Biedrins. Young team, I like it. Especially if they wanna try and make the playoffs or tank.

Golden State: Ellis, Stephen Jackson, Dorell Wright David Lee, Andrew Bogut. Talented, very talented.

Toronto: Brandon Jennings, Demar Derozan, James Johnson, Andrea Bargnani, Jonas Valanciunas. Need I say more?
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X