Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Brotherston @ HW.com: Raptors' Barbosa in Demand Once Again?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Brotherston @ HW.com: Raptors' Barbosa in Demand Once Again?

    It has been unusual when a healthy Barbosa doesn’t seem to play well. He consistently puts out effort on both ends of the floor and Coach Casey has a surprising level of respect for his game.

    “Leandro, he works at it to get open if you watch him during the game,” said Casey. “He’s constant movement. He doesn’t get pinned in and that’s the mark of experience. A lot like Ray Allen, you can game plan for him, try to pin him in, try to top lock him but he doesn’t let it happen.”

    As a career sixth-man who now comes off the bench behind the very young DeMar DeRozan on a losing team, the spotlight doesn’t often fall on the contributions Barbosa has made. Between 2005 and 2009, Barbosa averaged over 15 points per game while shooting over 47 percent from the field and 40 percent from three-point range, and since his early slump this season, he is back to his old self. For the past 10 games, Barbosa has averaged over 17 points per game while shooting 49.6 percentage from the field and 50 percent from range and has been Toronto’s most reliable scoring threat in Andrea Bargnani’s absence. His personal success comes from a relentlessly positive attitude and a desire to win no matter what the circumstances.

    “When the coach puts me out there it is because he has confidence in me and crediting what I do, so I just come and bring energy and play the way I like to play,” said Barbosa. “I don’t care if we are losing or not, I am playing to win. If we don’t win, I am going to play harder so we can win the next game.”

    Not just a productive sixth-man with a good attitude, the Raptors view Barbosa as a role model for the 22-year-old DeRozan to emulate on the floor. A point Coach Casey has made on numerous occasions this season.

    “Leandro got his groove back and that’s where DeMar needs to get to,” said Casey. “Where teams game plan for him, put a man and a half on him, (the goal) is to still work to get his position and get open like Leandro. He has to make more of a muscle to get open. Leandro, they do him the same way but he works until he gets open. That’s where DeMar has to get to and he will.”

    The quiet 29-year-old Barbosa is easy to overlook as part of the future on a rebuilding Raptors team that has made Bargnani and DeRozan the faces of the franchise, but every team needs productive veterans surrounding their star talent, rebuilding or otherwise.

    “Leandro came in and gave us a spark,” said Casey after the win in Phoenix. “He did a great job. That’s his niche. He is going to have a long career in the NBA doing that.”

    The Raptors hope that long NBA career continues in Toronto, and they will look to lock him in long-term. His style of play carries with it a broad appeal in a league where speedy guard play has become the staple of successful teams, and the Raptors don’t want to let him slip away as a free agent.

    “We would definitely like to have Leandro remain a Raptor and we will look to re-sign him, but the timing of a deal could be next summer,” Raptors President and General Manger Bryan Colangelo told HOOPSWORLD recently.

    What happens with Barbosa in Toronto is yet to be determined, but this low maintenance, productive veteran has made a significant contribution wherever he has played. Coaches and general managers know that Barbosa, despite his unheralded status, will continue to be the guy who is always playing to win, no matter what the situation is, and on a more successful team, he wouldn’t be unheralded.

    Source: Stephen Brotherston, HoopsWorld.com


    Interesting read. I hope the Raptors trade him before the deadline and are able to resign him in July.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In the summer he was thinking of not picking up his option with us. I'm not sure if we will be his choice come free agency. I really like his game, but I think we need to trade him well he is healthy and has great trade value. If we were more established and a contending team, there would be no way in hell that I would trade him, but that's not the case. I think we should be trading some of our veterans (Calderon and Barbosa) for some assets... preferably picks.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    we'll probably keep him after the deadline, his expiring contract may prove more valuable than any of the pieces we can get, as we are rebuilding.

    Definitely nice to read about the buzz though.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    In the summer he was thinking of not picking up his option with us. I'm not sure if we will be his choice come free agency. I really like his game, but I think we need to trade him well he is healthy and has great trade value. If we were more established and a contending team, there would be no way in hell that I would trade him, but that's not the case. I think we should be trading some of our veterans (Calderon and Barbosa) for some assets... preferably picks.
    I think that talk was bluff to coax an extension.

    Remember the motto of the NBA:

    "It's a business."

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i dont want them to become the thunder where there are no veterans to help get past that hump and egos clash.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why the eff would you trade away experience for no experience, then diss the team because we have no vets and leadership, or PROVEN talent? You guys are too trade happy! Then when Barbosa lights us up EVERY game, you guys will be the same ones wanting the heads of every front office member in the Raps organization. It's been like that for YEARS. The worse "fans" ever. FOH!!!

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you!!!

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The thanks was to LBF!!! I agree, bro.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Barbosa could fetch a good young prospect and a late first round pick in 2012 I would not be upset. I also will be happy to keep him and let him ride out the year, too bad there is no real practice time, it would be nice for Demar to have to chase him around a bit and get a real taste of his game.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Why the eff would you trade away experience for no experience, then diss the team because we have no vets and leadership, or PROVEN talent? You guys are too trade happy! Then when Barbosa lights us up EVERY game, you guys will be the same ones wanting the heads of every front office member in the Raps organization. It's been like that for YEARS. The worse "fans" ever. FOH!!!
    Veterans on the Raptors (5 years or more experience):

    Carter
    Magloire
    Gray
    Butler
    Barbosa
    Calderon
    Bargnani
    Amir
    Kleiza

    Young pups on the Raptors (4 years or less):

    Bayless (4 years)
    James Johnson (3 years, 25 this month)
    Alabi (doesn't play)
    Ed Davis (2nd year)
    DeMar (3rd year)
    Forbes (2nd year, 27 this month)


    So by my count we have 9 veterans to 6 young pups (some of which aren't that young) and no rookies. We also have a coaching staff that is extremely professional, hardworking, and from all accounts take nothing less than a player's best effort.

    The trade deadline is March 15th. At that time there is 6 weeks and about 20-25 games left to the season. If the Raptors can acquire assets and/or shed salary by trading a veteran like Barbosa and/or Calderon in preparation for draft night/off season trades and/or free agency, sign me up.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't find the source, but I read somewhere (maybe a Houston Rockets blog) that Colangelo intends to re-sign Barbosa this summer. Has anyone else heard this rumour?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter c_bcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Veterans on the Raptors (5 years or more experience):

    Carter
    Magloire
    Gray
    Butler
    Barbosa
    Calderon
    Bargnani
    Amir
    Kleiza

    Young pups on the Raptors (4 years or less):

    Bayless (4 years)
    James Johnson (3 years, 25 this month)
    Alabi (doesn't play)
    Ed Davis (2nd year)
    DeMar (3rd year)
    Forbes (2nd year, 27 this month)


    So by my count we have 9 veterans to 6 young pups (some of which aren't that young) and no rookies. We also have a coaching staff that is extremely professional, hardworking, and from all accounts take nothing less than a player's best effort.

    The trade deadline is March 15th. At that time there is 6 weeks and about 20-25 games left to the season. If the Raptors can acquire assets and/or shed salary by trading a veteran like Barbosa and/or Calderon in preparation for draft night/off season trades and/or free agency, sign me up.
    3 of those vets are clearly rentals, so I wouldn't really even consider them part of the "team"; they're here to help generate a "team" from the other players. I don't know what they plan with Gray, but he's got rental painted all over him too. Not sure he stays with big Val coming next season. So, I would argue we still need legit vets who can actually produce and earn the respect of the youngens.

    I think with Val and another high pick coming in next season, we don't need any more draft picks this year. 2 rookies will be enough headache for this team. Besides, we want next years rookies to have to catch up to the rest of the team, instead of the rest of the team having to slow down to wait for their development. Only way I see to do that is by bringing in some mid-career talent (26-30 yoa) and/or trying to keep existing players like Barbosa and Calderon.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think gray is end of the bench insurance/matchups after this year. bargs/bigv one of davis/amir with gray and then alabi at the end of the big bench

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I can't find the source, but I read somewhere (maybe a Houston Rockets blog) that Colangelo intends to re-sign Barbosa this summer. Has anyone else heard this rumour?
    Matt posted that in the Free Agency thread.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    https://twitter.com/#!/TheRocketGuy/...34265094451201

    Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo tells HOOPSWORLD that re-signing Barbosa is a priority, but likely not until next summer.
    Barbosa appears to be a free agent target in July.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    3 of those vets are clearly rentals, so I wouldn't really even consider them part of the "team"; they're here to help generate a "team" from the other players. I don't know what they plan with Gray, but he's got rental painted all over him too. Not sure he stays with big Val coming next season. So, I would argue we still need legit vets who can actually produce and earn the respect of the youngens.

    I think with Val and another high pick coming in next season, we don't need any more draft picks this year. 2 rookies will be enough headache for this team. Besides, we want next years rookies to have to catch up to the rest of the team, instead of the rest of the team having to slow down to wait for their development. Only way I see to do that is by bringing in some mid-career talent (26-30 yoa) and/or trying to keep existing players like Barbosa and Calderon.
    How can you be so sure they are clearly 'rentals'? Darrick Martin lasted a long time at the end of the Raptors bench as a veteran, 3rd string PG. Gray is hopefully here for the long term. He is a cheap, big, effective body in limited minutes. Butler should be buried and I most definitely agree he is a rental.

    Where did I mention having draft picks play for Toronto next year? Picks and cap space are assets which can sweeten deals to land veteran players who can still play and contribute at a high level. You realize the Clippers acquired Camby from Denver for a 2nd round pick?

    If Calderon is traded he likely will not be back but given BC's desire to have Barbosa here long term, he can go after him as an UFA this summer. There will always be the risk he won't resign so if you get a draft pick for him now or a young, cheap prospect, that is surely better than nothing this summer if he chooses to leave, no?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •