Jennings, Calderon, and the Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jennings, Calderon, and the Lakers

Let's throw a couple of rumors together (Milwaukee and Toronto being willing to listen to offers for Jennings/Calderon), plus some speculation (Lakers improving their guards) and put it together.

Couple assumptions:

1) Milwaukee would be looking for inexpensive prospects/picks for Jennings, which ideally would include a young PG
    2) Lakers are willing to try to make a run for it this year (almost a given)
    3) Toronto is willing to use some salary space the next few years to add some assets

Toronto trades: Calderon and Barbosa
    Toronto Receives: Jennings, S. Blake, Walton, and 2012 Dallas First Round Pick

Milwaukee Trades: Jennings
    Milwaukee Recieves: Morris, Caracter, and Ebanks (and/or Goudelock)

Lakers Trade: Morris, Caracter, Ebanks (and/or Goudelock), and 2012 Dallas Protected First
    Lakers Recieve: Calderon and Barbosa (through Odom TPE)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7bmrmmt

Why for Toronto:

Toronto takes on additional salary (Walton and Blake) in order to add a good young PG in Jennings. Blake takes over back-up PG duties while Jennings gets majority of minutes. Walton is just a veteran/waste of salary. Toronto also receives the Dallas pick as they take two salary weights from the Lakers and are giving up the expiring.

Why for Lakers:

Lakers send out a group of future developing prospects and a late first round pick in order to make a run for it this year. Calderon already works well with Gasol and could work a pick n' roll with Bynum very nicely. His shooting would also help with floor spacing. Barbosa can come off the bench to add big offense and could be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Why for Milwaukee:

With the injury to Bogut Milwaukee's playoff chances have crashed. They take this time to use Jenning's potential to add a group of future prospects to try and develop and will automatically tank the rest of the year giving them a good 2012 Pick. This puts them right back into the rebuild, but will give them some decent potential to pair with Bogut (and their pick) next year.

Thoughts?

I am most doubtful that Milwaukee would be interested. They are not getting any huge prospects for Jennings, and are also not getting any salary relief from moving Gooden. A future move would be to potentially deal Bogut along with Gooden to completely restart...but that is a different topic.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Ya, I don't the Bucks are getting enough back to warrant this trade. I also think we are getting way to much in this trade. And the Lakers could give a bit more. I see this as fair value.

To Lakers :

Calderon

Separate trade

To Lakers : Barbosa (using TPE)

To Milwaukee :

Morris (from Lakers), Ed Davis, Dallas's first round pick, and Lakers first round pick

To Toronto:

Walton, Blake or Fisher and Jennings, and whatever Milwaukee has to give away to make the trade work

I think it works for all teams! We would still have money to make a run for Wilson Chandler when his contract is up in March.

Jonas
    Bargs/Amir/Kleiza/Walton
    Chandler/J.J./Kleiza/Walton
    DeMar/Forbes
    Jenning/Blake or Fisher/????

Plus our draft pick

Comment

I've added Atlanta for a totally improbable four team trade. The ESPN trade machine is not giving a verdict on this but I think it works.

Trade:

Toronto: Jennings, Blake, Walton, 2012 1st round pick from ATL
      Milwaukee: Calderon, Davis, Morris, two 2012 1st round pick from LAL
      Los Angeles: Stephen Jackson, Kirk Hinrich
      Atlanta: Barbosa, TPE

Rationale:

Toronto wraps up the PG position with starter (Jennings) and veteran backup (Blake). Walton makes the numbers work and is a solid professional.

Milwaukee gets a solid veteran PG in Calderon, loses a headcase/team cancer in Jackson, two young prospects in Morris and ED, and a couple of first round draft picks in a deep draft.

Los Angeles gets two veteran players who can contribute. Jackson is stuck in Milwaukee complaining about a contract extension because he realizes he isn't winning a championship there so he is looking out for #1. The idea is a change of scenery to a top team changes his perspective. Hinrich is a solid PG and is versatile enough and big enough to play and defend SG in addition to PG when necessary.

Atlanta replaces Jamal Crawford ie. instant offense off the bench.

Toronto comes out $4M ahead, then sign Wilson Chandler with the $8M in cap space (not all though, hopefully $6M would do it) they now have and release Butler (let the angels sing!).

PG: Jennings, Blake, Carter
      SG: DeMar, Bayless, Forbes
      SF: Chandler, JJ, Kleiza, Walton
      PF: Bargnani, Amir
      C: Gray, Magloire, Alabi
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 28, 2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I like that one. With my trade I was trying to find away to get S.Jackson and Calderon on the Lakers, but that works! I'm not sure Atlanta would let go of the first rounder and Hinrich. I tried another configuration that worked.

To Lakers:

Calderon, and Barbosa

To Atlanta:

Stephen Jackson, 2nd rounder from Toronto (whatever year we have available)

To Milwaukee:

Hinrick, Ed Davis, Morris, and better of Lakers draft picks

To Toronto:

Jennings, Blake, Walton, and Dallas or Lakers pick

Reason For:

Lakers : they receive two good players, and save salary next year.

Atlanta: They need a sixth man, and since Atlanta is a veteran team they can handle his antics. He even could start, having him and Joe Johnson playing either SF or SG. McGrady and Williams could come off the bench. Huge improvement!

Milwaukee: They get rid of Stephen Jackson's contract. Receive a draft pick and 2 prospects. Pretty good value for Jennings... If I was a Bucks fan I probably wouldn't be totally thrilled, but overall pretty good.

Raptors: They get Jennings which is a huge piece for this team. We also get another pick this year. Walton will expire in a year and a half and Blake would be a good player coming off the bench. We also have roughly 9mil, hopefully for Chandler.

I hear contending teams are going to offer Chandler their mid level exception for a playoff run. We might have to make a high, multi-year deal to get him (maybe 7 million this year and 9 to 10 for the years proceeding.)

To Milwaukee:

To Toronto:

Last edited by saints91; Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          I like that one. With my trade I was trying to find away to get S.Jackson and Calderon on the Lakers, but that works! I'm not sure Atlanta would let go of the first rounder and Hinrich. I tried another configuration that worked.

To Lakers:

Calderon, and Barbosa

To Atlanta:

Stephen Jackson, 2nd rounder from Toronto (whatever year we have available)

To Milwaukee:

To Toronto:

That would work too.

However with Atlanta having Joe Johnson, T-mac, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Willie Green, and Radmanovic all capable of playing the wing, I don't think adding a similar player in Jackson works. Plus he has another year left on his contract at $10M.

I also like SJax going to the Lakers because what a shit show it would be with Barnes, Metta World Peace, and SJax on the same team.

Comment

I think if Atlanta makes a deal before the deadline they would be bringing in some added size in order to make up for the lose of Horford. I think Atlanta makes a play for Kaman, but that's a separate topic.

And the challenge with Milwaukee is that although they are trading a great player in Jennings, his salary of $2.5mil makes it a challenge for them to bring in lots of pieces. Jennings barely makes more the Davis.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I've added Atlanta for a totally improbable four team trade. The ESPN trade machine is not giving a verdict on this but I think it works.

Trade:

Toronto: Jennings, Blake, Walton, 2012 1st round pick from ATL
              Milwaukee: Calderon, Davis, Morris, two 2012 1st round pick from LAL
              Los Angeles: Stephen Jackson, Kirk Hinrich
              Atlanta: Barbosa, TPE

Rationale:

Toronto wraps up the PG position with starter (Jennings) and veteran backup (Blake). Walton makes the numbers work and is a solid professional.

Milwaukee gets a solid veteran PG in Calderon, loses a headcase/team cancer in Jackson, two young prospects in Morris and ED, and a couple of first round draft picks in a deep draft.

Los Angeles gets two veteran players who can contribute. Jackson is stuck in Milwaukee complaining about a contract extension because he realizes he isn't winning a championship there so he is looking out for #1. The idea is a change of scenery to a top team changes his perspective. Hinrich is a solid PG and is versatile enough and big enough to play and defend SG in addition to PG when necessary.

Atlanta replaces Jamal Crawford ie. instant offense off the bench.

Toronto comes out $4M ahead, then sign Wilson Chandler with the $8M in cap space (not all though, hopefully $6M would do it) they now have and release Butler (let the angels sing!).

PG: Jennings, Blake, Carter
              SG: DeMar, Bayless, Forbes
              SF: Chandler, JJ, Kleiza, Walton
              PF: Bargnani, Amir
              C: Gray, Magloire, Alabi

By the way, once this trade is done, I'm contacting Memphis about Gay - lol. It will be sad that once Jennings and DeMar were reunited I'd look to separate them but as the old NBA saying goes, "This is a business."

I'd look to send DeMar, Amir, Walton, the right to swap 2012 draft picks to Memphis, a 2013 and 2015 pick to Memphis.

Add in 2012 pick.
              Look to resign Barbosa and Gray.

Then Toronto is rolling in to next season with:

PG: Jennings, Blake,
              SG: Chandler, Barbosa, Forbes
              SF: Gay, JJ, Kleiza
              PF: Bargnani, 2012 pick
              C: JV, Gray, Alabi

*Actually, that would not get Gay out of Memphis... no way possible... but it is nice to dream once in a while*

Comment

What if we drafted Lamb instead of trading for Gay.

Jonas/Gray
                Bargs/Amir/Kleiza
                Chandler/DeMar/J.J./Kleiza/Walton
                Lamb/DeMar/Forbes
                Jennings/Blake/????

oh and we would have one more draft pick

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  That would work too.

However with Atlanta having Joe Johnson, T-mac, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Willie Green, and Radmanovic all capable of playing the wing, I don't think adding a similar player in Jackson works. Plus he has another year left on his contract at $10M.

I also like SJax going to the Lakers because what a shit show it would be with Barnes, Metta World Peace, and SJax on the same team.
                  SJax going to Atlanta does not make much sense to me either, unless you could sell them on the idea that SJax can replace Crawford's offense.

Saying that, in my opinion introducing Atlanta makes the trade far less likely.. I like the idea of SJax going to LA as well. However if LA is willing to move MWP and Milwaukee sees past his 'issues', this could work:
                  http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7nozkpn

Toronto gets Walton, Blake and Jennings, plus one of LA's picks

Milwaukee gets Barbosa, Davis and MWP, plus Toronto's 2012 2nd rounder, and Toronto's 2013 1st rounder pick (top 14 protected)

LA gets SJax and Calderon

MWP could be an upgrade over SJax the way he's playing (although both could use a change of scenery). They get an expiring contract in Barbosa and a guy with lots of potential in Davis, plus two picks.

I'm not sure what Milwaukee is trying to do though. Are they trying to contend, or are they rebuilding? If they want to contend then this deal is bad. If they are okay to rebuild then this is a really good trade in my opinion.

Comment

Toronto is looking at adding new players next year. At least 4. They need to be integrated into Caseys system. So what, you are going to advocate getting somebody brand new to step in and know the players, know the system, and also have the right attitude and experience to produce a winning team at the point? I don't think so. Calderon is a horse, Just ride him all day long.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Toronto is looking at adding new players next year. At least 4. They need to be integrated into Caseys system. So what, you are going to advocate getting somebody brand new to step in and know the players, know the system, and also have the right attitude and experience to produce a winning team at the point? I don't think so. Calderon is a horse, Just ride him all day long.
                      Until the horse pulls up gimp. Considering his groin and hammy history, his Olympic play this summer for Spain, and his age, if the Raptors can get anything of value for him, they need to consider trading him.

Nash and Kabongo will be on the Raptors next year. Book it.

Comment

Love to see Nash here, but he will be looking for a ring.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Love to see Nash here, but he will be looking for a ring.
                          It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like come free agency. I could see radical changes being made that turn the tide of the Raptors very quickly. Colangelo has taken 20-something win teams to 20-plus game improvements the following season twice. When BC says he plans on, "hitting the ground running next year" I don't think it is PR or a salesman pitch.

Nash very well could look to get a ring however he does not look like a ring chaser to me. Also, how many guys who look to chase a ring actually succeed? He had the chance to chase a ring but instead re-upped with PHX on a 2 year extension.

Nash has talked in the past about finishing his career in Canada. He has Colangelo here, JT is still associated with the club, good coaching staff, one of the best trainers in the world who he is friends with.

Comment

Working...
                          X