Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 29: New Jersey - Big! Changes to the starters

ESPN.com Preview:

After a sluggish start, things are starting to look up for Deron Williams and the New Jersey Nets.

There isn't nearly as much optimism surrounding the Toronto Raptors, who -- if their most recent effort is any indication -- look headed for what could be another challenging stretch with Andrea Bargnani out indefinitely.

Seeking a third consecutive win, New Jersey tries for a fourth victory in five games over the visiting Raptors on Sunday.

Since losing 11 of their first 14 games, the Nets (7-13) have taken four of six thanks in large part to Williams' tremendous play. The two-time All-Star is averaging 22.3 points and 9.5 assists over his last six contests -- recording five double-doubles over that span.

Two nights after scoring 34 points and dishing out 11 assists in a 97-90 overtime win at Atlantic Division-leading Philadelphia, Williams had 27 and 10, respectively, as New Jersey posted back-to-back victories for the first time this season with Friday's 99-96 win at Cleveland.

"My teammates have told me I have to score for us to be successful. I've been trying to do that early. I got some good looks," said Williams, who made 5 of 9 from 3-point range. " ... We wanted a winning streak bad."

Coach Avery Johnson is surely to continue calling Williams' number early and often. The Nets are 5-0 when he scores at least 24 points and 2-12 when he has 23 or fewer.

Williams had 24 points in leading New Jersey to a 97-85 win at Toronto (6-14) on Jan. 6. While Bargnani scored 17 in that meeting, the Raptors could find keeping up with the Nets all the more difficult this time around with their leading scorer sidelined.

After sitting out the final six games of Toronto's eight-game losing streak Jan. 10-22 due to a strained left calf, Bargnani returned to score 36 points during Tuesday's 99-96 win at Phoenix. The former No. 1 overall pick, however, aggravated his injury the following night in a 111-106 double-overtime win at Utah. Bargnani, averaging 23.5 points, scored 25 before exiting.

The Raptors failed to get much going without him Friday, shooting just 39.0 percent from the floor during a 96-81 loss at Denver.

"Our guys have to believe," coach Dwayne Casey said. "We can't sit back and wait for Andrea to come back. As it was said famously before, he's not walking through that door. It's us against the world for a while, we don't know how long it's going to be, and we've got to play like it."

While he scored season-best 25 points off the bench versus the Jazz, Linas Kleiza was inefficient during his first start -- making just 1 of 7 shots to finish with two points against the Nuggets.

"I had some good shots," Kleiza said. "Didn't fall for anybody. What can you do? You've got to work tomorrow and try to win the next day."

Since winning six straight in this series, Toronto has lost three of four -- including back-to-back visits to the Prudential Center.

Williams is averaging 20.9 points and 12.3 assists in his last seven meetings with the Raptors. He has never lost in 14 career matchups versus Toronto.

Second on New Jersey with 15.4 points per contest, MarShon Brooks is likely to miss a fourth consecutive game with a strained left Achilles' tendon.

So....

Deron Williams is on fire and it looks like they have to keep him below 24 points to win.

Casey is not allowing Andrea's absence to be an excuse for not competing. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the Nuggets visiting locker room wall on Friday.

Kleiza is awesome. He is the NBA version of Mirko Cro Cop.

Williams has never lost to Toronto..... before today!

Big! Changes to the starters

Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless, DeMar DeRozan, James Johnson and Amir Johnson

This should be very interesting tonight. I like the lineup cause Andrea is injured.

Follow me @Chr1st1anL
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

wtaf

Comment

Buttleeeeer!....airball....
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I like the line up. Good move by Casey. It seems to be working for DeMar. This team is built to run and Casey is finally letting them go, but this time they are running after defensive stops. Could be the future approach...now that they learned to play D

Comment

I swear I just saw Bayless throw down a alley oop
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Love Bayless playing the 2
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Anyone see him just D up Williams? Whoa.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Derozen can't finish to save his god forsaken life
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

DeMar probably having the best game of his season.

More derozen at the 3 Bayless at 2 looks?
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Love the play at the end of the 3rd quarter where DeRozan takes it right at Petro and is foul.

Petro: "Get that shit outta here."

DeMar: "Get the fuck out of here, man."

DD nails the 2 free throws.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        DeMar probably having the best game of his season.

More derozen at the 3 Bayless at 2 looks?
                        As long as we play New Jersey all the time ... Stevenson shut DeRozan down last time; now Bayless was there to attack as well and Morrow has to defend one of them; and he's one of the worst defenders in the league, especially on isolations. And on the other side of the court, with Stevenson, there is no real need to do anything but hold a little hand up, as I believe he's been shooting the lowest percentage of the entire league.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Love the play at the end of the 3rd quarter where DeRozan takes it right at Petro and is foul.

Petro: "Get that shit outta here."

DeMar: "Get the fuck out of here, man."

DD nails the 2 free throws.
                          I thought I heard him yelling something like "Get ... in there" with or without a 'fuck' because he was mad at the ball for not going in the basket a couple of times when he got fouled.

Comment

Nope he said "get the fuck out of here, man". I think we should experiment with keeping him at the 3

Comment

Great game for the Raptors. There have been a number of satisfying games this year but this is one of the top.

Looks like Deron Williams is now 14-1 versus Toronto and the Nets are 5-1 when he scores 24 or more.

DeMar: Best game of the season by far. He did it all right on offense and defense. The coaching staff should put together a highlight package of this game and have him watch it very frequently, it can be titled "What not not to do."

Bayless: played a great game. It is kind of a bitter sweet game though because he is showing more and more that when he is at his best he is not playing PG - he is a scoring combo guard leaning more towards a shooting guard.

Calderon: this game sums up his career when he has played healthy in Toronto: efficient and smart.

Amir: I still think he should be put on the inactive list for a couple of games. His game is all about energy and right now he has little it seems. Could be the hand, could be the ankle, could be all around fatigue... I don't know but it is clear the energy is not there.

James Johnson: I thought he played well tonight. Not sure why he didn't get much burn. I would have much rather have seen Butler's 12 minutes go to JJ.

Butler: Anyone ever see or read The Girl Who Played with Fire? Yeah, well, he is the chick who digs herself out of the ground. Stay buried goddammit!

ED: His jumper is cringe worthy and he seems to love it. I believe Devlin referred to it as 'the sidewinder'. 9 rebs always nice to see - 4 of which were offensive.

Linas: showing quality minutes off the bench. This is the role I envisioned for him. He is a tough, versatile player off the bench.

Forbes: great pass to DeRozan on the break for the cram on Petro. Quality minutes (22) in Barbo's absence despite just 5 points.

Alabi: I swear I saw him.

Driving the bus: Dwane Casey - imagine what he could do with a talented roster. 2013 COY.

Comment

Working...
                              X