Raps Play off bound - Book it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    By mid March tanking season will be full blown with starters coming down with mysterious ailments and serious minutes given to players for developmental reasons.

Raptors starting five circa April 1:
    Bayless, Forbes, Butler, ED, Gray/Alabi
    your 'tank' starting 5 ain't all that different than what we've seen so far...all those guys have gotten significant PT.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
      I called 25-30 win season before it started and thats still what I see ... we will only get better and Big Barg will be back in a bit.
      you still think 25-30 is possible? have you checked out the math?

they're 7-14 now. that's 21 games gone, out of 66, leaving 45. to get to 30 dubs, they need 23 more wins, in their remaining 45 games, which is a better than .500 clip (23-22). that puts them at 30-36 for the season, and likely in a dog-fight (erm, ok...kitten fight) for 8th.

let's assume everything breaks the raps way from this instant forward - bargs' calf heals itself & doesn't flare up again, and he not only plays 38 mpg every game, he continues to develop as an overall player. DD & bayless build on last game & continue putting up numbers, jose's hammy's remain intact, and they get decent contributions from the rest of the roster. well, amir's gotta get back to his early season form as well. they'd still need to play better than they were early in the year before bargs went down, and hope that their opponents either get hit with injuries or are exhausted from the condensed schedule. their own schedule does get a bit easier in terms of road/home games, but that's a bit of a moot point.

i like the optimism, but a) i don't see it, and b) i'm not sure why anyone would want that. finishing in 8th only satiates the ego of raptor fans who are tired of their team being a laughingstock.

i took the 'under' in the over/under of 18, and i'm sticking with that.
      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Bulls, Pacers, Heat, Magic, Hawks, Sixers, Celtics, Knicks. I don't see the Raps being in danger of breaking into that group. Even if the Knicks fall off then you have the Bucks, Cavs and Nets and all have more motivation to try and make moves to win than Toronto.

Having said that, it would be just like the Raps to go into a year trying to get a high pick and build a core of players only to somehow stumble into the playoffs with a .400 winning percentage, lose 4-0, then end up with a backup swing man in the draft, followed by a 32-50 season.
        We are only 1 game behind the Knicks atm, considering the fact that our best player has been injured for 8 out of the 21 games this year (during which we went 1-7) AND we have played 14 games on the road and only 7 at home. Makes me kind of think that having a better record than the Knicks is possible. The whole idealogy that you "Can't win without a franchise player" or "1 star player makes a team good enough to make the playoffs" gets trumped by the Knicks this year, I dont care who they have Carmelo, Stoudamire, Chandler ... they suck right now.

Raptors ftw, they can definately make the playoffs, I am not sure it will happen depends how we play over the next few weeks without Andrea, but if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together ... when Andrea comes back we might have a pretty sick team.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Lewis Carrol, Through the Looking Glass. The Red Queen, "...Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

"...if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together..."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            We are only 1 game behind the Knicks atm, considering the fact that our best player has been injured for 8 out of the 21 games this year (during which we went 1-7) AND we have played 14 games on the road and only 7 at home. Makes me kind of think that having a better record than the Knicks is possible. The whole idealogy that you "Can't win without a franchise player" or "1 star player makes a team good enough to make the playoffs" gets trumped by the Knicks this year, I dont care who they have Carmelo, Stoudamire, Chandler ... they suck right now.

Raptors ftw, they can definately make the playoffs, I am not sure it will happen depends how we play over the next few weeks without Andrea, but if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together ... when Andrea comes back we might have a pretty sick team.
            Yeah, but we have to assume that the Knicks will eventually figure it out. There's too much talent between their 3 top dawgs for them to continue to stink all season.

Comment

I've predicted bottom five from the get go. I'm sticking with it. They're playing better than a bottom five team right now but when the dust settles I still think that they're going to be a lot closer to the bottom five than the playoffs and I'm not broken up about it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I've predicted bottom five from the get go. I'm sticking with it. They're playing better than a bottom five team right now but when the dust settles I still think that they're going to be a lot closer to the bottom five than the playoffs and I'm not broken up about it.
                Agreed.

The Raptors are 2 games from the playoffs. But they are also 2 games from that 'bottom feeder' label (bottom 5).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, but we have to assume that the Knicks will eventually figure it out. There's too much talent between their 3 top dawgs for them to continue to stink all season.
                  That is just an assumption. I dont think Carmelo and Stoudamire fit well together, before Carmelo came over they used to play 1 in 4 out in New York just like Orlando does with Dwight Howard, and shoot threes. Now with Carmelo you have another guy up front who needs touches and it messed their system up. All that I have to say is: their record speaks for itself, lets not give them too much credit, cause they have a few big name players.
                  "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                    That is just an assumption. I dont think Carmelo and Stoudamire fit well together, before Carmelo came over they used to play 1 in 4 out in New York just like Orlando does with Dwight Howard, and shoot threes. Now with Carmelo you have another guy up front who needs touches and it messed their system up. All that I have to say is: their record speaks for itself, lets not give them too much credit, cause they have a few big name players.
                    You're right, it is just an assumption. But so is assuming that everything will fall into place for the Raptors with a healthy Bargnani.

We're a very talent-thin club, who needs to play nearly perfect basketball to be able to compete most nights. We've seen glimpses of it from quarter to quarter, or even a few games here and there. But we haven't seen any form of consistency with this team, so we shouldn't necessarily assume it'll happen.

Comment

6th worst when sorting by point differential

Sorting teams based on point differential ranks Toronto sixth worst(-5.4 PPG) in the league right now. Charlotte and Washington are tied for the worst, coming in at -11.7 PPG.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I agree which is why I think BC might send away the parts he does not see as part of the future for virtually nothing (TPE, late draft picks, cap space this summer) if the other eastern conference teams don't start putting it all together. Obviously there are pro's and con's to this line of thinking.
                        barbosa Calderon... hmm you might be right
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                          This is not a fanboy post.

I am a tough critic of Raps and Many of Colangelo's moves.

Raps are 2 games out of 8th 3 games out of 7th why are they playoff bound?

1) They are defending (finally the raps are hard to score on)
                          2) After that rough January they are getting stronger not ready to mail in the season
                          3) 14 road games 7 home games played (nuff said)
                          4) Dwane Casey has them buying in. He is a wonderful coach and they are listening to him - team is playing hard and unselfish.

Neeto stat: James Johnson is 9th in the league in blocked shots (who knows how many altered or deflected shots) I know many disagree with me but I think he is almost becoming a Pippen-esque type of defender. He is everywhere.

James Johnson 27 games 490 mins -> 35 blocks
                          Rafael Araujo 139 games 1585 mins -> 16 blocks

I know draft watchers wanted a tank season - I think they will be disappointed. But this is good for the team.
                          do we really have to start this? stop setting yourself up for dissapointment!
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

With healthy Bargnani on court, everything is possible...
                            (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

The Change from the LAC game to Utah/Phoenix to Denver to NJ to Atlanta game shows why I don't think the Raptors have a chance at making the playoffs. They are wildly inconsistent (two games versus New Jersey are perfect examples) and don't have the talent to match up with the better/top teams like Atlanta.

Luckily, this season is all about that beaten to death expression of 'culture change' and there has certainly been a lot of that happening. The next step is to get the talent to make the team consistent in its play.

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                                With healthy Bargnani on court, everything is possible...
                                Don't worry about it! I agree japetas, Bargnani is this teams x factor. When he returns the team does have the potential to surge but he can't help his teammates knock down shots, he can only give them more space. It's because of this that I just can't see them getting it done. My biggest fear would be them playing their way out of a high lottery pick but not playing well enough to make the playoffs. Then they're left with a pick in the range they drafted Ed Davis. Or in other words, low enough to maybe get a steal but not low enough to likely draft a franchise player.

Comment

Working...
                                X