Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps Play off bound - Book it.

This is not a fanboy post.

I am a tough critic of Raps and Many of Colangelo's moves.

Raps are 2 games out of 8th 3 games out of 7th why are they playoff bound?

1) They are defending (finally the raps are hard to score on)
    2) After that rough January they are getting stronger not ready to mail in the season
    3) 14 road games 7 home games played (nuff said)
    4) Dwane Casey has them buying in. He is a wonderful coach and they are listening to him - team is playing hard and unselfish.

Neeto stat: James Johnson is 9th in the league in blocked shots (who knows how many altered or deflected shots) I know many disagree with me but I think he is almost becoming a Pippen-esque type of defender. He is everywhere.

James Johnson 27 games 490 mins -> 35 blocks
    Rafael Araujo 139 games 1585 mins -> 16 blocks

I know draft watchers wanted a tank season - I think they will be disappointed. But this is good for the team.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

I have to agree. 2 games out of 8th and the home schedule coming up + the new work hard attitude should net the Raps at least an 8th seed. I didn't think it would happen, but if the Raps start clicking and begin to finally "get it" we may be watching some post season play...and who knows when playoffs start (though Chicago would tear us a new one!)
    Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

You make some interesting points. Many people (myself included) assumed that January would be the month the team completely folds due to the hectic schedule. But to finish the month 2 games behind the 8th seed is definitely unexpected, and probably speaks more about the relative weakness of the Eastern Conference.

Either way, I would rather see an infusion of talent via a high draft pick, than a 1st round drubbing at the hands of the Bulls/Heat. But whatever happens, I'll be cheering loudly.

Comment

They have still been too wildly inconsistent for my liking.

Last year they were 8-11 and sniffing at the playoffs. They finished the season 14-49. A lot has changed since then but I still don't believe at this time due to the inconsistency and, overall, lack of talent on the team without Bargnani. Teams will adjust and be ready should the Raptors put out this starting lineup again.

Comment

With teams like Boston, New York, and Milwaukee underachieving, and how early it is in the season, it looks like the Raptors are a lot closer then they actually are (people praying for the lottery do not worry). Interesting post though. I have avoided looking at the standings cause it depresses the hell out of me when I see the Cavs ahead of Toronto. I am sort of surprised at this teams resilience towards a tough schedule, and as of late the play has been great.

And wow, I forgot how bad Rafael Araujo was. That was a pretty good draft too and we picked Araujo (Half man half meh) over Igoudala, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Dorell Wright, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Martin, Verejao, even Chris Duhon, and Trevor Ariza.

Hindsights 20/20 I guess, but damn. I forgot how bad that was.

JJ and Amir have become my 2 favourite players on this Raptor squad for sure. The hustle and D is too much.

Comment

Jose hasn't even missed a game yet.. isn't he scheduled for his 10 game break soon? I estimated 16 wins.. they should surpass that quite easily, but they are still lottery bound.

I could see Toronto still getting a good pick despite all their wins. Even if they pick in the 7-10 range, you could net someone really good. It is a lottery based system as well so there is a chance that they can land a good pick - last year, LAC won the lottery (ranked 8th worst), and Utah picked 3rd (ranked 12th worst).

I think there is still a pretty big gap between 8th and where Toronto is. The top 5 teams are guaranteed to be in the playoffs: Miami, Chicago, Philly, Indiana, Atlanta. Orlando will probably accumulate enough wins that even if Howard leaves they will make it. Boston will get in due to their talent and veteran leadership. And that leaves only one slot left. I think it will be hard for Toronto to surpass teams like Cleveland, NY, Milwaukee or even NJ.

Anything is possible, but I'm still not seeing playoffs this year.

Comment

Nope
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The mere fact that the Raptors are 2 games out of the playoffs right now speaks to the travesty of the Eastern Conference and nothing more.

Look at it this way: the Raptors have the 6th WORST record in the NBA, yet they are only 2 games out of the 8th seed? That's just crazy man. What it means is that the playoffs as the 8th seed is just NOT an accomplishment. It's not. I would love to see the Raps in the playoffs. But not if they get there with a .400 record. That's not going to help anyone. The Raps would get swept by the Bulls or the Heat AND lose out on the chance to draft one of Harrison Barnes, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Thomas Robinson or Bradley Beal.

And one of those 5 players - ideally Barnes (just my opinion)- NEEDS to be in a Toronto uniform next season if the Raps are going to take their next steps.

Unless the Raps go crazy and make it to like the 6th seed or something, in which case, by all means, let's playoffs it up and look towards a bright future. But that would be dependent upon DeRozan stepping up and becoming an all-star quality 2 guard and J.J. averaging around 15 ppg. Which isn't impossible, but, you know, 7-14 with losses to Washington, Sacramento, and New Jersey? 6th pick is far more likely than 6th seed, and far, far more valuable than 8th seed.

Comment

[QUOTE=charlz;111625]This is not a fanboy post.QUOTE]

It's a good thing you prefaced this with that line because that's what I thought for sure when I saw the title. To be honest, I haven't even looked at the standings this year as I was pretty sure they were irrelevant. It's nice that it gives them something to play for but I think the reality is that it's only a month in and it will take a bit more time for the bad teams (including us) to still be in 12th place but be ten games out. That said, there is a trend here. As meaningless as streaks are, there is something to be seen each time the raps snap some franchise mark for futility (suns, jazz, d. will)...now if we could just get to the nuggets again!

Comment

If Andrea doesn't miss too much time and Demar can get going consistently, I think we could be a playoff team. We are young which gives us an advantage with the schedule as bad as it is. All we have to do is beat the bad teams and we will be in. There is hope yet my friends.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                      With teams like Boston, New York, and Milwaukee underachieving, and how early it is in the season, it looks like the Raptors are a lot closer then they actually are
                      I agree boston (if they get/stay healthy) should be in the mix
                      I have seen a number of Nick games and I am not a believer. Tyson has his contract Melo doesn't defend - Amara fighting to stay healthy.
                      As far as the bucks are concerned - bogut is out not sure if they can find their way.

Who knows... finishing 7th or 8th might not be the best thing.
                      No way in hell will they draft a PF They are unlikely to be low enough to grab Barnes or Gilchrest

so... look out for a PG in draft Kendall Marshall, Lillard - if they had the early 2nd round pick there is an outside chance that one of my personal favs would have been on the board Toronto's Myke Kabongo. Brings a tear to my eye to think they could potentially go in to fall with JV Girlchrest and Myke Kabongo as rookies ... But it is more likely to be JV and Kendall Marshall...
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Bulls, Pacers, Heat, Magic, Hawks, Sixers, Celtics, Knicks. I don't see the Raps being in danger of breaking into that group. Even if the Knicks fall off then you have the Bucks, Cavs and Nets and all have more motivation to try and make moves to win than Toronto.

Having said that, it would be just like the Raps to go into a year trying to get a high pick and build a core of players only to somehow stumble into the playoffs with a .400 winning percentage, lose 4-0, then end up with a backup swing man in the draft, followed by a 32-50 season.

Comment

It's surprising to think that the Rap's could make the playoffs this season or are even in reach of it. Gotta wonder where we might have been if Bagnani could manage to stay healthy. Anyone know how long he's scheduled to be out of the line up?

I wonder though if making the playoffs is indeed good for the team. Sure the fans would have something to cheer about, Casey would have to be seriously considered for COY, and ESPN would be forced to show some Rap's games, but is being sweeped by Miami or Chicago in the first round worth giving up on a potential franchise player? I'm not saying they should tank and am happy with them playing hard and letting the lottery balls fall where they fall, but still you gotta wonder..

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Bulls, Pacers, Heat, Magic, Hawks, Sixers, Celtics, Knicks. I don't see the Raps being in danger of breaking into that group. Even if the Knicks fall off then you have the Bucks, Cavs and Nets and all have more motivation to try and make moves to win than Toronto.

Having said that, it would be just like the Raps to go into a year trying to get a high pick and build a core of players only to somehow stumble into the playoffs with a .400 winning percentage, lose 4-0, then end up with a backup swing man in the draft, followed by a 32-50 season.
                            That made me laugh.
                            Then cry.
                            Then picture myself sitting in my clothes in a hot shower, rocking slowly back and forth, repeating over and over: "with the 15th pick in in the 2012 NBA draft, the Toronto Raptors select..."

I still agree that the best option for long-term health of this franchise is to get a top-5 lottery pick this season. Then they introduce at least 2 new young stud players to the roster (lottery pick & Valanciunas, barring any trades to acquire additional draft picks) next season. Next season is the season to start hoping for playoffs, even if it is as first round fodder for the big boys. I understand the logic and rationale for wanting to make the playoffs, to build team confidence, chemistry and morale, but next season is the season to do that, not this season when 1/3 of the roster are scrubs signed as filler for a single season! 1 more offseason of "building", then think about competing for the 2012-2013 season and beyond!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              That made me laugh.
                              Then cry.
                              Then picture myself sitting in my clothes in a hot shower, rocking slowly back and forth, repeating over and over: "with the 15th pick in in the 2012 NBA draft, the Toronto Raptors select..."

I still agree that the best option for long-term health of this franchise is to get a top-5 lottery pick this season. Then they introduce at least 2 new young stud players to the roster (lottery pick & Valanciunas, barring any trades to acquire additional draft picks) next season. Next season is the season to start hoping for playoffs, even if it is as first round fodder for the big boys. I understand the logic and rationale for wanting to make the playoffs, to build team confidence, chemistry and morale, but next season is the season to do that, not this season when 1/3 of the roster are scrubs signed as filler for a single season! 1 more offseason of "building", then think about competing for the 2012-2013 season and beyond!
                              Bryan could also try to fleece a team that is lottery bound and try and steal their pick from them. Unlikely but there are some pretty dumb GM/owners around (*cough* Dumars *cough*)

Comment

Working...
                              X