Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raps Play off bound - Book it.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    sigh...this brings back such fond memories of bygone days. like, from a few weeks ago, when they were 4-5 & the talk of playoffs started and me-oh-my wouldn't it be great for the youngsters on the team to get that playoff experience (read: as a fan, i'm tired of being embarrassed by my team)! btw...why do we point to 'playoff experience' as some great thing? how'd that work out for the raps a few years ago? or is andrea just having a delayed (positive) reaction to his playoff experiences from 1/2-a-decade ago?

yes, bargs' injury & subsequent suckitude curtailed that talk, but now that they've gone & won ONE game without bargs (and LB, for that matter), here we go again. but but but...3-2 on the 5-game road trip = JUBILATION! yeah yeah, i'm a cynic, but i still think that once teams get a handle on how to handle the compressed schedule, lack of rest & practice time, the 'haves' will start to distance themselves from the 'nots.' the raptors should embrace their role as 'nots,' (for this year, at least) get the kids as many reps as possible, figure out who's a keeper & who's trade bait, and proceed with Tankapalooza 2012 as planned. then go full guns blazing for that coveted 8th seed next year...if things go well between then & now, they'll:

a) have a solid idea who amongst the current roster is a building block & who isn't;
    b) turn one (or more) of their tradeable assets into a future-oriented asset (be it a current or future pick, a player with potential, etc);
    b) be adding a top-5 (or thereabouts) pick in this draft, as well as JV;
    c) have an actual FA signing period to add a piece (if the fit is right) & an offseason with which to make trades;
    d) have an actual training camp following a year of absorbing a lot of new information from a new coaching staff.

these things don't happen overnight, and it does seem like the republic has been waiting an awful long time for anything resembling a competitive team...but nothing would flatten out the rebuilding curve quicker than foolishly thinking they could make a playoff run this year, if it means sacrificing a high lotto pick in a loaded draft. next year? go for it, since there is a limit to the # of young guys one team can have on a roster before you start cutting into their development. so yeah, give them the rest of this year to set up the roster for next, bring over JV, draft a stud this year, fill in a blank or two in FA (doesn't have to be a major acquisition), give DC & his staff the summer to implement a system/mindset, have a full training camp & go go go. they'll still be pretty bad, but next year is the one in which the goal becomes playoffs.
    Great post. The bolded made me laugh out loud.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The timing couldn't be better to see ESPN update it's "Playoff Odds"...

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

One has to wonder if the machine spitting out the projections is aware of Bogut's injury and the potential impact his loss could have on the Bucks?!
    Wonder how we ended up with better odds than the Cavs, considering their better record.

And the scariest number is our 2.6% chance of winning the draft lottery.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    haven't we learned to take things said by management about players - in particular, about future FA players - with about 3 tonnes of salt? what, exactly, is BC going to say if the subject is broached? 'nah, i think leandro's a great guy, and we have a history, but when his deal with the raps expires, we're kicking him to the curb. we may be a lottery team, but the message we're trying to send out to other teams (i.e. potential trade partners) is that he's not good enough to play for the great TORONTO RAPTORS long term. instead, we'd like him to just go away. thanks for asking!'

isn't the idea in 'fleecing' another GM to build up the value of the guy you're trying to deal, so that other GM offers more in return? there's also something to be said for being known as a GM/franchise that does right by players (which is something we've seen a number of times in the past). letting it be 'known' that he'd like to re-sign barbosa is a 'nice' thing to be out there.
    Yes, Colangelo's words should be taken with a grain of salt, but the point is, we just don't know what he's thinking. He could be simply "upping" Barbosa's value, or he could be telling the truth.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I thought so too until Hoopsworld suggested that Colangelo wants Barbosa back:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRocketGuy/...34265094451201
    gosh I hope not. Great scorer, great guy. lousy defender. lousy size for 2 spot.

Wonder how we ended up with better odds than the Cavs, considering their better record.

And the scariest number is our 2.6% chance of winning the draft lottery.
    Finishing 9th is the worst possible scenario!!
    - no playoff buzz to carry in to next season
    - low lottery odds
    - lower 2nd round pick

win big or loose big ... can't this team do anything right?
    Last edited by charlz; Mon Jan 30th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Colangelo's words should be taken with a grain of salt, but the point is, we just don't know what he's thinking. He could be simply "upping" Barbosa's value, or he could be telling the truth.
    my hope is his thinking is something along the lines of: 'if leandro wants to sign a 1-yr deal for the vet minimum, then by all means, i'm open to that.' because that's the same thing as 're-signing' him, even if the words 're-signing' immediately conjures up images of him being signed to something close to the value of his current deal (and if THAT'S what BC is thinking - to re-sign him to anything within 50% of his current deal - then he needs to be taken behind the woodshed with a cattle-prod).
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Say what? Am I missing something here? I thought someone typed playoff, rather than layoff.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

pleaase say it ain't so!! Im begging for the raptors to fall into the lottery this year! I want to put all my chips in for next season when big Val + lottery rookie come along! Please dont let us fall into the forever abyss of the mediocre PLEEASSSEE!! :'(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post

Finishing 9th is the worst possible scenario!!
    - no playoff buzz to carry in to next season
    - low lottery odds
    - lower 2nd round pick

win big or loose big ... can't this team do anything right?
    I agree which is why I think BC might send away the parts he does not see as part of the future for virtually nothing (TPE, late draft picks, cap space this summer) if the other eastern conference teams don't start putting it all together. Obviously there are pro's and con's to this line of thinking.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    pleaase say it ain't so!! Im begging for the raptors to fall into the lottery this year! I want to put all my chips in for next season when big Val + lottery rookie come along! Please dont let us fall into the forever abyss of the mediocre PLEEASSSEE!! :'(
    By mid March tanking season will be full blown with starters coming down with mysterious ailments and serious minutes given to players for developmental reasons.

Raptors starting five circa April 1:
    Bayless, Forbes, Butler, ED, Gray/Alabi

Raptors Republic Rookie YoungGuns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I called 25-30 win season before it started and thats still what I see ... we will only get better and Big Barg will be back in a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    By mid March tanking season will be full blown with starters coming down with mysterious ailments and serious minutes given to players for developmental reasons.

Raptors starting five circa April 1:
    Bayless, Forbes, Butler, ED, Gray/Alabi
    your 'tank' starting 5 ain't all that different than what we've seen so far...all those guys have gotten significant PT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote YoungGuns wrote: View Post
    I called 25-30 win season before it started and thats still what I see ... we will only get better and Big Barg will be back in a bit.
    you still think 25-30 is possible? have you checked out the math?

they're 7-14 now. that's 21 games gone, out of 66, leaving 45. to get to 30 dubs, they need 23 more wins, in their remaining 45 games, which is a better than .500 clip (23-22). that puts them at 30-36 for the season, and likely in a dog-fight (erm, ok...kitten fight) for 8th.

let's assume everything breaks the raps way from this instant forward - bargs' calf heals itself & doesn't flare up again, and he not only plays 38 mpg every game, he continues to develop as an overall player. DD & bayless build on last game & continue putting up numbers, jose's hammy's remain intact, and they get decent contributions from the rest of the roster. well, amir's gotta get back to his early season form as well. they'd still need to play better than they were early in the year before bargs went down, and hope that their opponents either get hit with injuries or are exhausted from the condensed schedule. their own schedule does get a bit easier in terms of road/home games, but that's a bit of a moot point.

i like the optimism, but a) i don't see it, and b) i'm not sure why anyone would want that. finishing in 8th only satiates the ego of raptor fans who are tired of their team being a laughingstock.

i took the 'under' in the over/under of 18, and i'm sticking with that.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Bulls, Pacers, Heat, Magic, Hawks, Sixers, Celtics, Knicks. I don't see the Raps being in danger of breaking into that group. Even if the Knicks fall off then you have the Bucks, Cavs and Nets and all have more motivation to try and make moves to win than Toronto.

Having said that, it would be just like the Raps to go into a year trying to get a high pick and build a core of players only to somehow stumble into the playoffs with a .400 winning percentage, lose 4-0, then end up with a backup swing man in the draft, followed by a 32-50 season.
    We are only 1 game behind the Knicks atm, considering the fact that our best player has been injured for 8 out of the 21 games this year (during which we went 1-7) AND we have played 14 games on the road and only 7 at home. Makes me kind of think that having a better record than the Knicks is possible. The whole idealogy that you "Can't win without a franchise player" or "1 star player makes a team good enough to make the playoffs" gets trumped by the Knicks this year, I dont care who they have Carmelo, Stoudamire, Chandler ... they suck right now.

Raptors ftw, they can definately make the playoffs, I am not sure it will happen depends how we play over the next few weeks without Andrea, but if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together ... when Andrea comes back we might have a pretty sick team.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Carrol, Through the Looking Glass. The Red Queen, "...Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

"...if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    We are only 1 game behind the Knicks atm, considering the fact that our best player has been injured for 8 out of the 21 games this year (during which we went 1-7) AND we have played 14 games on the road and only 7 at home. Makes me kind of think that having a better record than the Knicks is possible. The whole idealogy that you "Can't win without a franchise player" or "1 star player makes a team good enough to make the playoffs" gets trumped by the Knicks this year, I dont care who they have Carmelo, Stoudamire, Chandler ... they suck right now.

Raptors ftw, they can definately make the playoffs, I am not sure it will happen depends how we play over the next few weeks without Andrea, but if Barbosa can keep playing how he has been, JJ keep up what he is doing, and Bayless and Demar get it together ... when Andrea comes back we might have a pretty sick team.
    Yeah, but we have to assume that the Knicks will eventually figure it out. There's too much talent between their 3 top dawgs for them to continue to stink all season.

Post Thanks / Like

I've predicted bottom five from the get go. I'm sticking with it. They're playing better than a bottom five team right now but when the dust settles I still think that they're going to be a lot closer to the bottom five than the playoffs and I'm not broken up about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I've predicted bottom five from the get go. I'm sticking with it. They're playing better than a bottom five team right now but when the dust settles I still think that they're going to be a lot closer to the bottom five than the playoffs and I'm not broken up about it.
    Agreed.

The Raptors are 2 games from the playoffs. But they are also 2 games from that 'bottom feeder' label (bottom 5).

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but we have to assume that the Knicks will eventually figure it out. There's too much talent between their 3 top dawgs for them to continue to stink all season.
    That is just an assumption. I dont think Carmelo and Stoudamire fit well together, before Carmelo came over they used to play 1 in 4 out in New York just like Orlando does with Dwight Howard, and shoot threes. Now with Carmelo you have another guy up front who needs touches and it messed their system up. All that I have to say is: their record speaks for itself, lets not give them too much credit, cause they have a few big name players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    That is just an assumption. I dont think Carmelo and Stoudamire fit well together, before Carmelo came over they used to play 1 in 4 out in New York just like Orlando does with Dwight Howard, and shoot threes. Now with Carmelo you have another guy up front who needs touches and it messed their system up. All that I have to say is: their record speaks for itself, lets not give them too much credit, cause they have a few big name players.
    You're right, it is just an assumption. But so is assuming that everything will fall into place for the Raptors with a healthy Bargnani.

We're a very talent-thin club, who needs to play nearly perfect basketball to be able to compete most nights. We've seen glimpses of it from quarter to quarter, or even a few games here and there. But we haven't seen any form of consistency with this team, so we shouldn't necessarily assume it'll happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6th worst when sorting by point differential

Sorting teams based on point differential ranks Toronto sixth worst(-5.4 PPG) in the league right now. Charlotte and Washington are tied for the worst, coming in at -11.7 PPG.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information