Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange is handing out report cards, thinks Wright is gone by the deadline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grange is handing out report cards, thinks Wright is gone by the deadline?

Antoine Wright

Overall grade: C-

Strengths: The Raptors most experienced defensive player on the perimeter; strong enough to match up against stretch fours and crafty enough to chase shooting guards.

Needs to work on: Fitness. His initial impact was compromised after missing considerable time in training camp with a knee problem. Offensively doesn’t offer what DeRozan or Weems or even Belinelli does. Look for the Raptors to try and package his expiring contract before the trade deadline.
    Chris Bosh

Overall grade: A+

Strengths: Strength. Is pulling three offensive rebounds a game which puts him tied for 13th in that category. No other elite scorer is rebounding at that rate on the offensive glass. His effort there and getting to the free throw line (9.2 FTA/game) allow him to carry the Raptors offensive load efficiently and without dominating the ball to the point it chokes off other guys. That he’s played every game and is leading the league in double-doubles is also a tribute to his off-season work. Has been close to brilliant in how he’s deflected chatter about his future.

Needs to work on: Staying healthy and maintaining his approach on the glass and in doing the hard work getting to the line. As the season begins to unfold as he hopes leading by example won’t be enough; he’ll need to actively bring the group together on and off the floor.
    Amir Johnson

Overall grade: C+

Strengths: There is very little not to like about Johnson’s effort so far this season. Watching him sprint the floor like a wide receiver at 6-foot-11 and finish in transition or dive on the floor for loose balls is a pleasure. He’s also a surprisingly deft finisher around the rim as evidence by his 56.7 shooting percentage. The Raptors could benefit if he could play more than 17 minutes a game

Weaknesses: By far his biggest weakness is his tendency to foul at the rate of 6.8 per 36 minutes. It reduces his court time and reduces his effectiveness. He will never over-power his opponents but his length, speed and quickness means he doesn’t need to pick up as many lazy fouls as he does. His foul rate has increased each year in the league and his free throw shooting has got worse. These obstacles are preventing him from becoming one of the league’s truly top-notch energy players and are well within his control to fix.
    The Globe and Mail

Wright may be gone. He seems like a piece that is expendable, that's for sure.

Am I the only one who feels he got Bosh's grade right but he missed the ball on Johnson?

I'm on the same page as Grange with respect to Amir. What he says is completely accurate. Amir is of no value to us when he picks up 3 quick fouls and has to be yanked. True, it was very impressive how he played with 5 fouls late in the Dallas game, but that was an unusual positive blip.

The man plays with fire, something this team thrives off of. Whenever Jack or Bargnani have that extra piss & vinegar in them, it turns into something that surges through the rest of the team. Amir can bring that every night, but to have to limit him because of something that he can control (to some extent) is frustrating.

Comment

"Weaknesses: By far his biggest weakness is his tendency to foul at the rate of 6.8 per 36 minutes. It reduces his court time and reduces his effectiveness. He will never over-power his opponents but his length, speed and quickness means he doesn’t need to pick up as many lazy fouls as he does. His foul rate has increased each year in the league and his free throw shooting has got worse. These obstacles are preventing him from becoming one of the league’s truly top-notch energy players and are well within his control to fix."

There are some contradictory/invalid aspects to this take I think.

a) True he fouls some...but has he ever fouled out...and his foul rate per 36 min. seems a bit inconsequential since he never plays those minutes.
      b) While Grange cites this weakness he also writes that is a correctable one (including free throws)...which is important.
      c) One cant ask for energy and hard nosed defense from a sub and then be surprised entirely at the foul rate
      d) How far does his effectiveness qualities outweigh his weakness..I believe quite a bit
      e) Putting on weight might help in keeping his check away

AJ should be a keeper going forward. One doesnt get such players everyday and at his age, attitude and price.

Comment

Nice post Bendit. In particular:

c) One cant ask for energy and hard nosed defense from a sub and then be surprised entirely at the foul rate
        d) How far does his effectiveness qualities outweigh his weakness..I believe quite a bit
        When was the last time the Dinos have had a guy come off the bench who is consistent, brings energy, rebounds, makes hustle plays, good on D, isn't a liability on O?! With Amir the Raps know they will get solid mins off the bench night in and night out. I agree with you Apollo, Grange dropped the ball on Amir's grade-he deserves a solid B/B +

I also agree of all the "tradeable assets" the Raps have, that Wright is the most likely to go. If the raps can get something valuable and needed in return remains to be seen.

Comment

I think his intensity leads to some of his fouls. The Raptors needed some agressive players and he fits the bill. Just wait until Reggie is ready to go, things will be really interesting on the second unit then.

Comment

The only trade that BC will make by the trade deadline is using Wright to add a back up SF. But with just trading Wright you won't get some much value in retourn, adding POB won't make it better unless your trade partner is a team looking to save money because they don't have playoffs expectations (GSW, Wash, Min, Mil, NJN).

Adding Banks to that trade could make sense to add a quality back up SF while geting rid of Banks contract. The only problem is that for a team to take Banks' contract, you have to be taking a longer or bigger contract.

That being said, the best options for the back up SF could be Jared Jeffries and Vlad. Radmanovich, both capable of rebound the basketball and both play with teams with bad records.

The Knicks will make anything to save more money, if they can't send Jeffries for an expiring, they'll do that trade because that will give them almost 2 more millions in cap space for next season.

The Warriors have nothing else to play for (except for Nellie's record) and it'll be nice for them to have 2 players instead of one and saving 2 mill in the process

Comment

I think Antoine might generate some interest and the Raps may look to move him.
              The Star, "Raptors pre-game chat" w/ Doug Smith

Comment

Vlad Rad is a pylon. No thanks.

Amir Johnson = A. You can say he fouls out in 36 minutes, but:

1) I can point out that he averages a double double on 60% True Shooting every 36 minutes.
                2) He is easily our best defender.

In any case, this team doesn't defend or foul enough. I want to see Utah or Boston style defensive toughness. Let me put it this way, if you play more physical aggressive defense, the refs will then let you get away with weaker fouls and only call egregious ones.

Comment

Ripp wrote: View Post
                  Vlad Rad is a pylon. No thanks.

Amir Johnson = A. You can say he fouls out in 36 minutes, but:

1) I can point out that he averages a double double on 60% True Shooting every 36 minutes.
                  2) He is easily our best defender.

In any case, this team doesn't defend or foul enough. I want to see Utah or Boston style defensive toughness. Let me put it this way, if you play more physical aggressive defense, the refs will then let you get away with weaker fouls and only call egregious ones.
                  Yup. Good point Ripp. If the Raptors played hard nosed agressive D on a consistent basis, then we wouldn't see a lot of these soft BS calls made. The refs give the good defensive teams the benefit of the doubt a lot of times because those teams are consistent in their D. The refs are used to seeing those teams play aggressive unlike the Raps which leads to them making dumb ass calls.

Comment

Working...
                  X