Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Raptors Republic Rookie big_chris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the max we can offer Chandler right now just 6.3 million dollars in year 1? Trading a player into somebody's TPE right now is difficult with everybody holding their breath for Dwight. Even teams not trying to directly land him are hoping to land a pick by helping facilitate the deal. Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.

Raptors Republic Rookie rapsfan2011's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AK47 and Wilson Chandler

I dont undertsand why Colangelo is even interested in Kirlilenko and Chandler? To me this is another Colangelo quick fix . He doesnt get it! we need to build through the draft, not signing useless scrubs. Im angry about this if he signs them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote big_chris wrote: View Post
    Isn't the max we can offer Chandler right now just 6.3 million dollars in year 1? Trading a player into somebody's TPE right now is difficult with everybody holding their breath for Dwight. Even teams not trying to directly land him are hoping to land a pick by helping facilitate the deal. Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.
    The most Toronto can offer is around $4.3-$4.7M. HoopsHype.com does not include Forbes $1.5M contract in their total for the Raps this season, including that gives around $4.7M. The ESPN Trade Machine says the Raps have $4.3M in cap room. So who knows.

Dwight Howard and March 1st (when teams can trade free agents signed previous summer) are looking like the two dominos that need to fall before any other moves are made. Very similar to the Melo situation last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rapsfan2011 wrote: View Post
    I dont undertsand why Colangelo is even interested in Kirlilenko and Chandler? To me this is another Colangelo quick fix . He doesnt get it! we need to build through the draft, not signing useless scrubs. Im angry about this if he signs them.
    I am 100% in agreement on Kirilenko. He is going to be 31 next season with a brutal injury history.

Chandler is another story. There are around 200 posts in this thread addressing the pros and cons of his possible signing so no need to get in to again.

Raptors Republic Rookie rapsfan2011's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what Chandler isnt THAT bad if we get him for a good price but AK47 no way . Im more hopeful we can draft Kidd-Gilchrist or Harrison Barnes to be our future SF.

Post Thanks / Like

will, will most likely be looking for an end of the year deal. even if we sign him for longer we can always trade him. its not going to be hard to trade him for a top ten pick and then we get two potential stars out of this draft plus jv.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the kirelnko name dropping was word play. cant say we want to blow chandler all over the place but we would settle for him if we had too.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    will, will most likely be looking for an end of the year deal. even if we sign him for longer we can always trade him. its not going to be hard to trade him for a top ten pick and then we get two potential stars out of this draft plus jv.
    Regardless of how good he is, there is no one that is going to give up a top 10 draft pick (in this draft) for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry Coon helps clear the air

Looks very unlikely WC comes to Toronto this year..... unless Denver renounces his rights (i.e. lets an asset leave for nothing.... I don't think so):

As such, several NBA free agents – most notably Aaron Brooks, Wilson Chandler, and J.R. Smith – are awaiting the expiration of their Chinese contracts before they can return to the NBA. Each is bound to his team until its final game, either regular season or playoffs. The CBA regular season ends on February 15, with the playoffs scheduled to start on February 22. Postseason play could last as long as March 30.

This poses an additional problem for Brooks and Chandler, who are restricted free agents. Under normal circumstances a restricted free agent can sign an offer sheet with the team of his choice, and the player’s prior team is given the opportunity to retain the player by matching the principal terms of the offer. If the team fails to match the offer (the time limit is three days), the offer sheet becomes a contract with the new team.

But restricted free agents can’t sign offer sheets after March 1 of any season, and this season is no exception. So Brooks and Chandler likely won’t be eligible to return to the NBA until after their eligibility to sign an offer sheet expires.

Both Chandler’s Zhejiang Guangsha and Brooks’ Guangdong Hongyuan appear poised to make deep playoff runs, which means neither player is likely to return to NBA before the March 1 deadline for signing an offer sheet. If Chandler wants to play in the NBA after March 1, his only option will be to return to the Denver Nuggets. Likewise with Brooks and the Phoenix Suns.

This begs the question; do their previous teams want them back? For instance the Suns might feel they are fine at point guard with Steve Nash, Ronnie Price and Sebastian Telfair, and may decide against adding Brooks for just a few games. Even if they decide to re-sign him, they could realize that they are literally bidding against themselves, and lowball their offer.

A sign-and-trade arrangement, in which one of these players is signed by his previous team and immediately traded to a new team, is out of the question. The new collective bargaining agreement prohibits sign-and-trades after the season starts.

There are just three possibilities that could allow Chandler and Brooks to play for another NBA team. First, if either player’s team’s season ends before March 1, he will be free to return to the NBA and could sign an offer sheet with another team before the deadline.

Second, their Chinese teams could release them prior to March 1, even though they are still playing. But even if Brooks or Chandler is granted his release, obtaining a FIBA letters of clearance is uncertain. For example, Kenyon Martin was released by the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers midway through the Chinese season, but was only granted his letter of clearance when the Flying Tigers failed to respond to FIBA’s request in the allotted time.

The last possibility is if Brooks or Chandler return to the NBA after March 1, the Suns or Nuggets could renounce them, making them unrestricted free agents. They would then be free to sign with any team. However this would require a measure of goodwill on the part of the teams, since either team could reclaim its rights to restricted free agency by submitting a new qualifying offer by June 30.

So if these players return to the NBA after March 1 and don’t sign with their previous teams, they likely must wait until this summer – when they again will be subject to restricted free agency. It’s potentially a no-win situation for both.

Source: Larry Coon, HoopsWorld.com

My last question would be:

If WC returns after March 1st and sign a contract for the rest of this season only with Denver, is he still restricted come the summer?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Feb 8th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Looks very unlikely WC comes to Toronto this year..... unless Denver renounces his rights (i.e. lets an asset leave for nothing.... I don't think so):

If WC returns after March 1st and sign a contract for the rest of this season only with Denver, is he still restricted come the summer?
    this makes me a sad panda

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this makes me a sad panda
    This makes me a happy panda because now, we have a chance to sign Batum!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

haha

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. As for your question as far as I can tell he (and Brooks et al in similar situations) would then become UFA. In that regard I would expect they do not sign with their old teams (not like Phoenix is in a tough playoff hunt) since the risk would be a rental only and losing control/rights into the off-season.

I would also add a question in that: can they be signed to multi-year deals since that deadline has passed? There could be the danger that the teams lock the player in for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that. I learned a thing or two. Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the Nuggets won't let him go anyway. Chandler is so versatile that he'll find good minutes in Denver regardless of the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I learned a thing or two. Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the Nuggets won't let him go anyway. Chandler is so versatile that he'll find good minutes in Denver regardless of the competition.
    It all could depend on the dollar amount though. Without Chandler next season they have $55M tied up in salary with no backup PG or real depth on the wing (and of course, don't forget they have $18M tied up in Gallo and Affalo). Then next summer ('13) Ty Lawson is coming off his rookie deal which will be another big contract. Chandler might also make it very clear he is not interested in coming off the bench as he might behind Afflalo and Gallinari.

The bottom line: if Chandler does sign with Toronto, don't expect it prior to this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

The final answer on all things Wilson Chandler related from Larry Coon:

SS
    If Chandler and/or Brooks leave China after March 1, and sign back with their respective teams (Denver/Phoenix) for the rest of the year, are they still restricted free agents in the summer, or do they become UFA’s?

Larry Coon
    If they re-sign they will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year. If they don’t re-sign, then both teams can make qualifying offers, and they’d remain restricted. In other words, you can’t get out of restricted free agency by playing overseas for a year.
    Source: Larry Coon, HoopsWOrld.com chat

So if he comes back after March 1st:

the only team he can play for is Denver

BUT

if he signs with Denver for just the remainder of this season, he is unrestricted come July 1st.

So his only option to play in the NBA this season is Denver and if he refuses to sign a contract for anything longer than the remainder of '11-12 season, the Nuggets could wait until this summer and match any offer he receives to keep him from leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chandler wants to remain a Nugget

Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri acknowledged the team’s interest in re-signing Chandler. The Nuggets have the right to match any offer Chandler receives from another NBA team.

“Wilson likes their direction and the stabilization of their roster in Denver with the young talent,” Luchey said in a phone interview from China. “He wants to see how they develop as a team. It’s a unique situation. The ball is in their court. If Wilson is comfortable, he will be a part of their core group.”

Ujiri plans on visiting Chandler in China during Zhejiang Guangsha’s regular-season finale on Feb. 15 or in the postseason. Zhejiang Guangsha is expected to make the playoffs. Chandler is free to sign with the Nuggets once the team’s season ends.
    “Our goal is to re-sign Wilson Chandler,” Ujiri said. “We like everything about him. Wilson was one of the key players we got in the trade with New York and he’s a phenomenal player, shooter and defender.”
    Source: Yahoo Sports

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

noooo Chandler!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Likely, but one part of me wonders if this is a ploy by Ujiri to force the hand of any GM who might be interested in signing Chandler now, assuming he is signable. Seeing how shrewdly he handled the Melo-drama trade last year, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a smokescreen.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that he's the only one who can sign Chandler to a long term deal right now when Chandler arrives back in America I would say you'll have your answer then on whether or not Ujiri is serious about keeping him. No doubt if he doesn't want to keep him this would be a good play to protect the asset. I believe him though when he says he wants Chandler back. I don't see him getting equal value back for Chandler in a S&T and based on all proposed trades you'll find around here 99% of the fans on this board should agree with that statement.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information