Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    What happened to all the people that weren't for signing WC?
    Don't know how many there are of those; but I'm still here. Not against Chandler, just against overpaying.

Comment

• Maybe there is hope for Chandler.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        Don't know how many there are of those; but I'm still here. Not against Chandler, just against overpaying.
        I'm with you, not sure we need to make a huge splash with this signing...but if we get him at the right price I am for it.

Edit to add: Denver's rookie, Hamilton, had a very good game off the bench last night playing some decent minutes. This could be enough to make Denver think about how much they really need Wilson.
        Last edited by WJF; Thu Feb 23, 2012, 08:26 AM.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
          IF this is true under the CBA then is it possible that the $4.5M remaining can be an effective up to $9M salary as a starting point for a 3-4yr offer sheet?
          As I understand it, it is only the Exceptions thats are prorated for the year.
          If you are able to offer something outside of the Exception, it is what it is.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            As I understand it, it is only the Exceptions thats are prorated for the year.
            If you are able to offer something outside of the Exception, it is what it is.
            ok thanks.

Comment

• Clearly $4.3M for Chandler is not going to cut it. To make a reasonable offer the Raptors need to shed salary - and remember any contract must be offered prior to March 1st (luckily it is a leap year, one extra day in February!).

Here are the only players that can be traded prior to March 1st:

Jose Calderon
              Andrea Bargnani
              Leandro Barbosa
              Amir Johnson
              Linas Kleiza
              DeMar DeRozan
              Ed Davis
              James Johnson
              Solomon Alabi

Personally I think the bold are the real options to be moved and Amir and Davis would be an either/or.

Another personal thought: to make the Nuggets blink on passing up a contract to WC, the Raptors would need to offer a deal starting at $6.5M. If this is true, the Raptors need to shed $2.2M.

Comment

• I think James Johnson and Kleiza have shown to be very steady options at SF, so if we're adding another SF that won't necessarily ever be a star or top 3 scoring option - it better be for a reasonable price.

The most appealing thing about Chandler, beyond his athleticism and jumper - is the fact that he can play minutes at the SG position, which could be looking pretty bare without Barbosa.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  I think James Johnson and Kleiza have shown to be very steady options at SF, so if we're adding another SF that won't necessarily ever be a star or top 3 scoring option - it better be for a reasonable price.

The most appealing thing about Chandler, beyond his athleticism and jumper - is the fact that he can play minutes at the SG position, which could be looking pretty bare without Barbosa.
                  They have also been impressive at PF - more so in fact.

Comment

• I do certainly think that adding Chandler now helps with the "hit the ground running" idea of Colangelo.
                    With this potential addition and no major other changes, we could hit with:

Jose/Bayless(resign)/2nd pick
                    Demar/lottery pick (Beal, Rivers, Lamb)/Forbes
                    Chandler/JJ/Kleiza
                    Bargnani/Ed/Kleiza
                    Jonas/Amir/Gray
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      They have also been impressive at PF - more so in fact.
                      Agreed ... they could play minutes there very regularly, especially if Ed or Amir is out of town. Having 3 players who may be viewed as SFs, but all who have multiple positions is not a bad thing. Gives the coaches a chance to make some creative matchups.

Comment

Clearly $4.3M for Chandler is not going to cut it. To make a reasonable offer the Raptors need to shed salary - and remember any contract must be offered prior to March 1st (luckily it is a leap year, one extra day in February!).

Here are the only players that can be traded prior to March 1st:

Jose Calderon
                        Andrea Bargnani
                        Leandro Barbosa
                        Amir Johnson
                        Linas Kleiza
                        DeMar DeRozan
                        Ed Davis
                        James Johnson
                        Solomon Alabi

Personally I think the bold are the real options to be moved and Amir and Davis would be an either/or.

Another personal thought: to make the Nuggets blink on passing up a contract to WC, the Raptors would need to offer a deal starting at $6.5M. If this is true, the Raptors need to shed $2.2M.
                        The Raptors could do that by trading Barbosa for Andersen, but it would likely need to involve another team taking Barbosa (ie: Lakers for their TPE), to make salaries match. That would free up $3.4M for the Raptors to be able to offer up to $7.7M for WC. Unloading Andersen's contract would likely be enough incentive for Denver to work with Toronto to get the deal done, once WC decides he wants to sign with Toronto and Denver can't/won't match the proposed contract.

My only concern is that my preference would still be for the Raptors to have Barnes/MKG long-term at SF, than WC. However, having Kleiza/JJ on the bench who can both play PF/SF and Chandler on the bench who can play SF/SG (behind Barnes/MKG & DeRozan), certainly gives Casey a lot of lineup flexibility.

C: Valanciunas, Andersen
                        PF: Bargnani, Amir/Davis, Kleiza, JJ
                        SF: Barnes/MKG, JJ, Kleiza, WC
                        SG: DeRozan, WC
                        PG: Calderon, Bayless/???
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                          I do certainly think that adding Chandler now helps with the "hit the ground running" idea of Colangelo.
                          With this potential addition and no major other changes, we could hit with:

Jose/Bayless(resign)/2nd pick
                          Demar/lottery pick (Beal, Rivers, Lamb)/Forbes
                          Chandler/JJ/Kleiza
                          Bargnani/Ed/Kleiza
                          Jonas/Amir/Gray
                          Signing Chandler does make Beal look much more interesting at the draft. Chad Ford said he would put him top 5 - yikes! - but no GM will make that reach.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors could do that by trading Barbosa for Andersen, but it would likely need to involve another team taking Barbosa (ie: Lakers for their TPE), to make salaries match. That would free up $3.4M for the Raptors to be able to offer up to $7.7M for WC. Unloading Andersen's contract would likely be enough incentive for Denver to work with Toronto to get the deal done, once WC decides he wants to sign with Toronto and Denver can't/won't match the proposed contract.

My only concern is that my preference would still be for the Raptors to have Barnes/MKG long-term at SF, than WC. However, having Kleiza/JJ on the bench who can both play PF/SF and Chandler on the bench who can play SF/SG (behind Barnes/MKG & DeRozan), certainly gives Casey a lot of lineup flexibility.

C: Valanciunas, Andersen
                            PF: Bargnani, Amir/Davis, Kleiza, JJ
                            SF: Barnes/MKG, JJ, Kleiza, WC
                            SG: DeRozan, WC
                            PG: Calderon, Bayless/???
                            I think adding Chandler, and keeping JJ and Kleiza - would likely mean the Raps don't take a SF in the draft.

You never know, but with all the depth that would give at the 3-4-5 ... you would think a draft pick would be focused on PG/SG.

Comment

• Newest Chandler News

I read this flash on The Score this morning so I looked it up on their website. Looks like Wilson Chandler was at last nights game with his agent.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-developments/
                              Deadallus

Comment

Signing Chandler does make Beal look much more interesting at the draft. Chad Ford said he would put him top 5 - yikes! - but no GM will make that reach.
                                He's drawing Ray Allen comparisons. If the Gators have a strong tournament anything is possible. For example DeRozan was nowhere near the top ten due to struggles in most of his freshman season. Then he turned it on for the later part and launched up the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X