Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm thinking much bigger.
    So what you're saying is pass on yay, pass on nay and go straight to Gay?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Give me a "yay" or "nay" on the following names if we're talking Ed Davis outbound
      • Jan Vesely (Nay - far too much of a project for my liking)
      • Marcus Thornton (Nay)
      • Thaddeus Young (Big time Yay)
      • J.J. Redick (Yay - it's good to have roster balance. We haven't had a dead-eye shooter since Kapono, plus he's becoming much less of a liability on the defensive end)
      • Wesley Johnson (indifferent)
      • O.J. Mayo (Big time Yay)
      • Chase Budinger (Nay)
      • Klay Thompson (indifferent)

Comment

• Count me out on one of the guys wanting to bring in Wilson Chandler. He's a solid player, sure, but not for the 8 mil a season we're going to have to shell out just to get him.

I'd rather deal Davis to get a proper swingman.

Comment

• Straight up, for Ed?
          • Jan Vesely - No.
          • Marcus Thornton - Yes. Would mean Demar is gone, though.
          • Thaddeus Young - No. Limited upside.
          • J.J. Redick - No. I'm not against having him, but he's a career backup SG in my opinion. Not worth it for ED.
          • Wesley Johnson - Maybe. But I'd rather chase a more proven free agent SF.
          • O.J. Mayo - Yes. Again, would mean Demar is gone.
          • Chase Budinger - No.
          • Klay Thompson - Maybe.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Count me out on one of the guys wanting to bring in Wilson Chandler. He's a solid player, sure, but not for the 8 mil a season we're going to have to shell out just to get him.

I'd rather deal Davis to get a proper swingman.
            I am not sure he is worth that much...anything more than the mle (5-6 mill) would be too much...imo. Caron Butler signed for 8 with the Clips and he is/was an all star.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              I am not sure he is worth that much...anything more than the mle (5-6 mill) would be too much...imo. Caron Butler signed for 8 with the Clips and he is/was an all star.
              It's hard to say what his value is going to be. Kwame Brown signed for $7M, and he is/was Kwame Brown.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                Is he worth that much? No, but chance are, he'll get roughly the same type of contract. I was looking at the Butler/Ariza/TYoung contracts as a guideline. I just hope the Raps pass on it. I can live with 5 mil per season, but you know Chandler's agents are going to be looking for a nice payday. The Nets would be crazy enough to give him that kind of loot (in excess of 6 mil per).

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  Is he worth that much? No, but chance are, he'll get roughly the same type of contract. I was looking at the Butler/Ariza/TYoung contracts as a guideline. I just hope the Raps pass on it. I can live with 5 mil per season, but you know Chandler's agents are going to be looking for a nice payday. The Nets would be crazy enough to give him that kind of loot (in excess of 6 mil per).
                  I wouldn't have a problem of spending $6-8 million per year on Chandler. In comparison to Amir's contract (which is roughly $6 million per year), I think Chandler brings much more to the table for the Raptors.

Other comparators:

Thad Young earns $8 mil
                  Tyrus Thomas earns $8 mil
                  Aron Afflalo earns $7.5 mil
                  Charlie Villenueva earns $8 mil
                  James Posey was earning $7 mil (until he was amnestied)
                  Ron Artest earns $7 mil
                  Trevor Ariza earns $7 mil
                  Marcus Thornton earns $7.5 mil

Remember that being in Toronto, we would have to spend a little more than market value to snag free agents. It's just the reality of the situation.

Comment

• $6-8M sounds fair to me too. Chandler signing for $8M is a lot safer bet than Thomas, Charlie V and Ariza were.

I will point out that Artest would have signed for a lot more had he went elsewhere. It took less(full MLE) to play for the Lakers.

jimmie wrote: View Post
                    Straight up, for Ed?
                    • Jan Vesely - No.
                    • Marcus Thornton - Yes. Would mean Demar is gone, though.
                    • Thaddeus Young - No. Limited upside.
                    • J.J. Redick - No. I'm not against having him, but he's a career backup SG in my opinion. Not worth it for ED.
                    • Wesley Johnson - Maybe. But I'd rather chase a more proven free agent SF.
                    • O.J. Mayo - Yes. Again, would mean Demar is gone.
                    • Chase Budinger - No.
                    • Klay Thompson - Maybe.
                    Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    • Jan Vesely (Nay - far too much of a project for my liking)
                    • Marcus Thornton (Nay)
                    • Thaddeus Young (Big time Yay)
                    • J.J. Redick (Yay - it's good to have roster balance. We haven't had a dead-eye shooter since Kapono, plus he's becoming much less of a liability on the defensive end)
                    • Wesley Johnson (indifferent)
                    • O.J. Mayo (Big time Yay)
                    • Chase Budinger (Nay)
                    • Klay Thompson (indifferent)
                    Thanks for the input guys. Just trying to gauge what everyone feels Ed's value is. I think it's fair to say that we expect a guy good enough to start right away. None of these guys outside Young could impact the team on a level like Chandler would right out of the gate... Well maybe Mayo but I think he might struggle working with Calderon at first.

Comment

So what you're saying is pass on yay, pass on nay and go straight to Gay?
                      Not to be a Gay basher, but most of the advanced stats seem to indicate that Gay makes your team worse. He is the offensive equivalent of Jermaine O'Neal (i.e. inefficient chucker) without the stellar defense.

To add to your other list of prospects-for-Ed, how about Nik Vucevic or Evan Turner from Philly? If we could do a deal like, Ed & Demar for Turner/Vucevic, that would be interesting. Kind of like 'your projects' for 'our projects'.

However, my gut tells me that Ed will eventually be very good, so I'm inclined to ride it out with him on his rookie deal. Amir is great too, but I think he bulked up too much this year and is playing out of position at center. This season is killing his trade value and he probably needs a new situation.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Not to be a Gay basher, but most of the advanced stats seem to indicate that Gay makes your team worse. He is the offensive equivalent of Jermaine O'Neal (i.e. inefficient chucker) without the stellar defense.

To add to your other list of prospects-for-Ed, how about Nik Vucevic or Evan Turner from Philly? If we could do a deal like, Ed & Demar for Turner/Vucevic, that would be interesting. Kind of like 'your projects' for 'our projects'.

However, my gut tells me that Ed will eventually be very good, so I'm inclined to ride it out with him on his rookie deal. Amir is great too, but I think he bulked up too much this year and is playing out of position at center. This season is killing his trade value and he probably needs a new situation.
                        If the Raptors traded Ed for Vucevic crap would hit the fan.Yeah, he looks like a really nice prospect but Ed went much higher, his perceived upside is higher and his "name notoriety" is much higher.

I would be down for trading for Turner straight up but as I mentioned somewhere in here, Turner only went 2nd overall a couple years ago. Managements' fate is tied to Turner's fate right now. They would need more for him than Ed Davis just for the perception of it alone. I don't believe Turner is worth more than a straight up trade right now.

Comment

• I think that's what frightens me - paying that much money for someone who in all honesty, is solid - at best. Now there's nothing wrong with "solid", but how many contracts are we going to hand out to guys who are "solid"? And where will that lead us? You know what you're gonna get from Chandler - 14-15 ppg, maybe 5 rpg, 1 bpg. We've got a guy who does the same things (but better defensively and worse offensively). So the difference between him and James Johnson would be what? 7 million per season? I'd rather spend the 8 million elsewhere, that's just me though.

Comment

• Call me crazy but wilson chandler sounds good, especially if he draft barnes he isn't the greatest slasher

Comment

If the Raptors traded Ed for Vucevic crap would hit the fan.Yeah, he looks like a really nice prospect but Ed went much higher, his perceived upside is higher and his "name notoriety" is much higher.

I would be down for trading for Turner straight up but as I mentioned somewhere in here, Turner only went 2nd overall a couple years ago. Managements' fate is tied to Turner's fate right now. They would need more for him than Ed Davis just for the perception of it alone. I don't believe Turner is worth more than a straight up trade right now.
                              Yeah, good points, especially about Turner #2 overall. Even though it's a rookie contract, it escalates to 8.7M in the final year, so it's risky if he doesn't reach his potential. I'm now leaning towards just stick it out with Ed and trade Amir/Barbosa/Jose/Kleiza for the best upside & financial flexibility you can get.

I DO NOT like the idea of overpaying for Wilson Chandler. Over-paying for 2nd tier players is the recipe for mediocrity and how we got here in the first place. If BC can't squeeze a bargain out of Ujiri, then you gotta wonder. You'd think he owes BC one.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, good points, especially about Turner #2 overall. Even though it's a rookie contract, it escalates to 8.7M in the final year, so it's risky if he doesn't reach his potential. I'm now leaning towards just stick it out with Ed and trade Amir/Barbosa/Jose/Kleiza for the best upside & financial flexibility you can get.

I DO NOT like the idea of overpaying for Wilson Chandler. Over-paying for 2nd tier players is the recipe for mediocrity and how we got here in the first place. If BC can't squeeze a bargain out of Ujiri, then you gotta wonder. You'd think he owes BC one.
                                S&T with Denver: Alabi for Chandler @ $6M per season x 4 seasons.

BC gets a more proven SF for good value. He could still draft a SF (ie: Barnes or MKG) to come off the bench for a season or two.

Uriji gets something (Alabi was his personal project that he pushed BC to trade for after the draft) for Chandler, who he has no legit reason to re-sign now that Gallinari is signed long-term.

I'd be a happy boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X